Community Message Boards

Thread: Peel...to eat or not to eat

Peel...to eat or not to eat

I do not peel the skin from mangos....i cut and eat...is that strange? On t.v. i keep seeing everyone cutting it off first. Actually,,,just about any veggie/fruit skin that seems edible i will eat...mainly cause of all the great food value that's in that part of the food.

And if i eat most peels...why did i think it was strange when Take Home Chef recently roasted slices of butternut squash for a family and it showed the family eating it with the skin on...that sort of freaked me out Guess i've never tried it...but it would see awfully tough..maybe not though..anyone try it?

One of the peels you should not eat (that I am aware of) is banana. Toxins are in the peel.

Found this re: mango peel -
    Beware of mango skin
    If you are sensitive to poison ivy, be especially careful not to touch the skin of the mango very much. There is an oil in the skin that is related to poison ivy. Wash the mango well, peel it, and then wash your hands and the fruit. I have experienced a rash similar to poison ivy on my lips as a result of not being careful with this

http://www.ehow.com/tips_3108.html

Hope this helps!
    "If you aren't living on the edge, you're taking up too much space."

That's interesting....luckily no rash so far for this girl...

Quote Originally Posted by spudugan
    That's interesting....luckily no rash so far for this girl...
    Then you're probably not sensitive to the oils in it.
    As far as I'm concerned - if the peel is edible, eat it. There is so much nutrient value just beneath the skin it's a shame to waste it by peeling. The fiber is so good for you too.
    I even eat kiwi skin!

Every evening my grandfather would eat either a whole lemon or an orange with the rind . The room and his breath would smell great. He lived a healthy life til 96. Can't say I have ever tried this but he really seemed to enjoy this practice.
    A well rounded person is perfectly pointless. - Carrie

People think I'm strange when I am eat a kiwi, I eat the peel and all...never tried eating a mango with the peel on though...

Quote Originally Posted by spudugan
    I do not peel the skin from mangos....i cut and eat...is that strange? On t.v. i keep seeing everyone cutting it off first. Actually,,,just about any veggie/fruit skin that seems edible i will eat...mainly cause of all the great food value that's in that part of the food.

And if i eat most peels...why did i think it was strange when Take Home Chef recently roasted slices of butternut squash for a family and it showed the family eating it with the skin on...that sort of freaked me out Guess i've never tried it...but it would see awfully tough..maybe not though..anyone try it?
    I love the skin of butternut and acorn squashes-- blistered and gooey with the concentrated syrup of the roasted juices. Yum. Potato skins too, I mash with it on most of the time. But then, when I was carnovrous, I loved poutry skin too, as long as it was crispy.
    Note: a fuzzy peach, okay, but kiwi would be too furry for me, like eating a cat or something. Kudos to those who can manage it!

Toxins in mango skins?
    Is this why my lips started swelling when I ate a mango slice at whole foods yesterday? Thanks, this explains a lot
    Anyway, I'm not sure it holds true for everyone, but I've heard people with less melanin (i.e. fair skinned people) are more sensitive to poison ivy.

I just heard something on public radio yesterday about poison ivy and how it affects people. Some scientists were doing a 6 yr study on the effects of global warming on poison ivy (it makes it absolutely thrive - eek). The scientist being interviewed said that about 80% of people are naturally sensitive to it and will get the rash. She said that even if you are not sensitive to it, prolonged exposure will help you develop the sensitivity. Apparently all of the scientists working on the project are now extremely sensitive to it. I don't know if the same would work for mangoes, but if you are used to eating the skin and gradually start to develop a sensitivity on your lips, this may be the case.

Heather

Well i'll be darned,,,,i thought i was adventurous with all my potato, carrot, mango, etc skin eatin'. Now i must see what the butternut squash does for me...and maybe even the fuzzy kiwi too.
    Save time and get all those golden nutrients...no good reason not to try any of them is there?

*love* kiwi fuzz! DH hates it so I trim it off of his piece. We joke that this is how he knows I love him :-)

Will have to try mango. Don't think I'll ever try the butternut squash skin :-)

Quote Originally Posted by SusanMac
    *love* kiwi fuzz! DH hates it so I trim it off of his piece. We joke that this is how he knows I love him :-)
    :-)

Me too! Love kiwi fuzz thought everybody when first starting to eat them many moons ago. Also think the fuzz on the peach is the best part.
    A well rounded person is perfectly pointless. - Carrie

I can't stand peach fuzz because it is so...fuzzy. But kiwi fuzz doesn't really bother me, maybe because it is coarser? Never tried mango skin though.
    You can call me Carrie.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerPow
    One of the peels you should not eat (that I am aware of) is banana. Toxins are in the peel.

Found this re: mango peel -
    Beware of mango skin
    If you are sensitive to poison ivy, be especially careful not to touch the skin of the mango very much. There is an oil in the skin that is related to poison ivy. Wash the mango well, peel it, and then wash your hands and the fruit. I have experienced a rash similar to poison ivy on my lips as a result of not being careful with this

http://www.ehow.com/tips_3108.html

Hope this helps!
    My sis always thought she was allergic to mango, when it turns out it was exactly this problem--oils from the skin getting on her hands, on the fruit itself, etc. She is very sensitive to poison oak, so it made sense once she found out they are related. Now if she takes precautions, she can eat mango!

Um kiwi fuzz, yuck. I do not eat it. I can eat peach fuzz if it is wet (and therefore less "fuzzy"), but I'd rather eat the peach without it. My mom gave me a soft fruit peeler that makes peeling kiwis and other soft fruit really easy, and for me even if the skin is edible, the fruit is much more enjoyable without it.
    "In France, cooking is a serious art form and a national sport."
    --Julia Child

This thread is such a great example of why I love this BB-- I had no idea of this mango rash, despite reading an article on mangoes not long ago. Thanks for the info.

I am one of those with a real sensitivity to mango skin. I had a rather severe reaction to it years ago. I still eat mango, but I always wear gloves when handling it or make DH prepare it.

...and I was thinking I was in the minority because I enjoy mango skins. My father is extremely allergic to poison ivy, but he is the one where I learned the habit of eating mango skins, interesting.

When I eat mango, I peel it by cutting the skin and PULL it off rather than cutting it off, because that way you get rid of all of the stuff that gives you a rash.

Quote Originally Posted by heavy hedonist
    ...but kiwi would be too furry for me, like eating a cat or something.
    LOL! Probably wouldn't give you a hairball, though.

Oh gosh, I just remembered a woman I worked with ages ago who brought green grapes to work for lunch - and peeled every one of them before she ate them.
    You know what? I tried it, and they're pretty good that way. Not that I often take the time to peel grapes. If I don't peel the fuzzy kiwi, I'm sure not going to peel grapes. What would be next - peel blueberries?

Quote Originally Posted by erinlovesmarc
    People think I'm strange when I am eat a kiwi, I eat the peel and all...never tried eating a mango with the peel on though...
    I've never heard of eating the kiwi peel! Although I enjoy kiwis, they actually frighten me a bit. The little hairs look like cilia (sp?) on an amoeba to me, or like some little alien. Every time I eat one I have to psyche myself up and remind myself that the kiwi will not hurt me!
    Red or green chile?

Crack me UP!! Just when I start to think i am alone in my quirkiness...a little too goofy to admit...i happily find i'm in great company. Thanks ALL!

Quote Originally Posted by GingerPow
    Oh gosh, I just remembered a woman I worked with ages ago who brought green grapes to work for lunch - and peeled every one of them before she ate them.
    You know what? I tried it, and they're pretty good that way. Not that I often take the time to peel grapes. If I don't peel the fuzzy kiwi, I'm sure not going to peel grapes. What would be next - peel blueberries?
    I love to peel grapes. I take a bath, have a bowl of grapes with me, and eat them one by one - peeling off the skin with my teeth, eating it, and then eating the grape part. The skin is somewhat bitter, and then the inside of the grape is sweet.

Susan
    http://5recipes.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by susan_foster
    I love to peel grapes. I take a bath, have a bowl of grapes with me, and eat them one by one - peeling off the skin with my teeth, eating it, and then eating the grape part. The skin is somewhat bitter, and then the inside of the grape is sweet.

Susan
    Ha! Her name was Susan too! Is it...could it be...you?