Community Message Boards

Thread: Chicken broth in the pressure cooker?

Chicken broth in the pressure cooker?

Anyone ever made chicken broth in the pressure cooker? FOund a recipe and was wondering how well it worked - seems simple enough and really fast.

SSM
    Now Robin's Mom too...10/21/02

Susan,
    It works great and it's nice when you don't have any on hand!
    Susan
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

I often make my chicken broth in the pressure cooker. It works fabulously! It takes 30 min. and then I let the pressure come down gradually. Give it a try. You won't be sorry.

Karen

I also make chicken broth in the pc. Very quick and easy but just as tasty IMHO.
    Miche

Learn something new every day...

SSM
    Now Robin's Mom too...10/21/02

I can't believe I'm thinking of trying this...but what type of chicken do you all use??? A whole chicken cut up?? I guess just bone-in-breasts would not make a good broth

~Gail
    "I expect to pass through life but once.
    If, therefore, there be any kindness I can show or any good thing I can do any fellow being, let me do it now and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again."
    -William Penn (1644-1718)

~~www.Nurse-Gail.com~~

For broth, I use any bones (mostly from breast) I have. (I try and buy bone-in chicken and debone myself.) If I don't have any, the butcher will usually sell them quite cheap. I use about 2 1/2 lbs of bones to 8 cups of water (sometimes I use 7 cups of water and 1 cup of white wine) and cook for 30 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by gabbyh
    I can't believe I'm thinking of trying this...but what type of chicken do you all use??? A whole chicken cut up?? I guess just bone-in-breasts would not make a good broth

~Gail
    I have an 8qt pressure cooker so I can do a whole chicken but any bone in pieces would do. About 3 pounds of chicken, 8 cups of water, your usual carrots, celery and onions plus some parsley, bay leaves and black peppercorns. You can also skin the pieces to reduce the fat and not have to wait for it to chill.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Here's a recipe I found using Google (chicken broth, pressure cooker). Alton Brown has also done a Good Eats show about making beef broth in a pressure cooker.

Fabulous Chicken Broth

Approximately 3 1/2 lbs. of the very cheapest cut of chicken
    (for instance, 4 small or 3 large thigh quarters, or a big fryer)
    water to cover
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 large carrot, scrubbed, cut in half
    2 stalks of celery with some leaves, cut in half
    1 small parsnip, if you have any, scraped and cut in half
    1 large onion, peeled and cut in half
    1 small ripe tomato, quartered
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    4 to 6 cloves of garlic
    2 teaspoons dried thyme
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    1 teaspoon black pepper
    2 bay leaves
    1 tablespoon salt
    1 teaspoon monosodium glutamate (Accent) (optional)
    Select one:
    1 teaspoon rosemary, or
    1 teaspoon sage, or
    1 teaspoon dried cilantro

If using a whole chicken, cut it up. Wash chicken well. Pull off any large hunks of fat. Smaller amounts may be left on for now, as well as all the skin. Pat dry with paper towels.

Heat the olive oil in a 6-quart pressure cooker over medium-high heat. Brown the chicken lightly on all sides, one layer at a time. Return the golden-browned chicken to the pan. Add the vegetables, seasonings and salt. Cover with cold water. Put on the pressure cooker lid and place on high heat. When the pressure is at maximum, turn the fire as low as possible without losing that pressure. Cook for about an hour.

Release pressure according to your pan's instructions. Uncover and taste. If the broth is too weak, you may reduce it by boiling rapidly, uncovered, and perhaps adding more seasonings to taste. It may also benefit from more salt, if your priorities allow sodium. When the flavor is satisfactory, allow to cool slightly.

Strain all the broth into another pan. If you wish, add a cup of cold water to the chicken, swish it around and strain this into the broth as well, to get all that good flavor out.

This broth contains a considerable amount of fat. You may skim it off using a skimmer or gravy strainer, or refrigerate until the fat congeals and then just lift it off.

AB's Beefy Broth Recipe courtesy Alton Brown
    Recipe Summary
    Prep Time: 10 minutes
    Cook Time: 55 minutes
    Yield: 4 to 6 servings

Vegetable oil
    Salt and pepper
    3 pounds combined beef shank and oxtail pieces
    2 onions, quartered
    2 ribs celery, halved
    2 carrots, halved
    3 cloves garlic
    1 bunch parsley
    1 teaspoon black peppercorns
    2 quarts water

Place pressure cooker over high heat. Oil and salt the oxtail and shank pieces then sear in batches. Add remaining ingredients and cover with water, being careful not to fill above the cookers "maximum fill" line. (If your pressure cooker does not have a water line, fill the pot 2/3 full). Bring to a boil and skim off any foam that gathers at the surface. Cover and lock lid. Once pressure builds up inside the cooker, reduce the heat so that you barely hear hissing from the pot. Cook for 50 minutes.
    Release pressure using your cookers release device (read that manual) or cool the cooker by running cold water over the lid for 5 minutes. Carefully opening the lid and strain squeezing the solids before feeding to the compost pile, or the dogs. Strain through a fine sieve or several layers of cheesecloth. Season and serve or use as a base for other soup recipes.
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a cola in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOOOOO HOOOOOO, what a ride!"