Community Message Boards

Thread: Natural pesticide needed for herbs

Natural pesticide needed for herbs

Good morning all. I just came back from a week in AZ to find my basil plant has attracted some kind of bug.

What are your favorite natural remedies for buggies? I use this basil for cooking, so I'm not planning on getting out the big guns!

TIA
    Amy

I have posted this many times but I think it is awesome and worth repeating. Good luck.

Bug Spray

1 1/2 tbs Ivory Liquid
    2 tbs Salt
    1 Cup white vinegar
    2 gal water
    "When you are in love with someone you want to be near him all the time, except when you are out buying things and charging them to him." Miss Piggy

Thanks Nancy!

Does it have to be Ivory, or will Dawn work, too?

nicotine is an insecticide. I don't remember proportions but you can soak tobacco from a cigarette (or snuff) in water and then spray your plants with that.
    Silly is you in a natural state, and serious is something you have to do until you can get silly again.
    Mike Myers

Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color...choosing your socks by their character makes no sense and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable. anon

Quote Originally Posted by doggerham
    Thanks Nancy!

Does it have to be Ivory, or will Dawn work, too?
    I really have no idea how important the "Ivory" part is but I always use Palmolive because that is what I have around and it seems to work fine. I'm sure Dawn would too. I think the function of the detergent part is to help make it stick to the plant.
    "When you are in love with someone you want to be near him all the time, except when you are out buying things and charging them to him." Miss Piggy

Palmolive and Dawn are made from petroleum by products... just so you know. They're not as bad as pesticides to be putting in the ground (especially in such tiny quantities as you are). I think that may be why Ivory was specified.

I am halfway through my last Costco size bottle of Dawn. After that, I'm going with Seventh Generation for dishwashing detergent. It performed excellently in a Real Simple test, and it isn't made from petroleum. I just worry about this since our city water is from wells.

ETA--thanks for posting that recipe, Nancy! I knew vinegar was good for ants, but I didn't have a good outside herb spray. It's finally time for me to plant my garden.

I've also heard setting out open containers of beer works for slugs.
    If loving me is wrong, you don't want to be right.

Don't touch the hair!
    JB

Ooh! Good catch about the petroleum products. I wasn't thinking about that.
    Silly is you in a natural state, and serious is something you have to do until you can get silly again.
    Mike Myers

Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color...choosing your socks by their character makes no sense and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable. anon

Neem Oil is also safe to use.
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'