Community Message Boards

Thread: ISO: WHat to do with 1-lb of ground lamb

ISO: WHat to do with 1-lb of ground lamb

FOr some reason I picked up ground lamb and it's in my freezer and needs to be used. What should I do with it? I have never made ground lamb before. I researched a little, but I don't care much for mint or cinnamon with meat.

Thanks!!
    Michelle

Michelle, type in lamb kebabs to die for . This was originally posted by Ralph and they are excellent, excellent, excellent! We have made these numerous times sometimes as kebabs or burgers. The aroma while they are cooking is wonderful; it is like being at a street festival. I serve them with tzaziki sauce, Greek salad and this wonderful orzo with 3 cheeses that I found on Epicurious.

Vicky

This one, from CL April 2003, is really good too. BTW, CL's recipe finder retrieved 7 recipes when I typed in "lamb burgers", so you might want to look at the others as well.

Lamb Burgers

1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
    3 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
    2 tablespoons minced red onion
    1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
    1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1 pound lean ground lamb
    Cooking spray
    4 (2-ounce) hamburger buns, toasted
    4 red leaf lettuce leaves
    4 (1/4-inch-thick) slices tomato

Prepare broiler or grill pan.
    Combine first 9 ingredients. Divide lamb mixture into 4 equal portions, shaping each into a 3/4-inch-thick patty. Place patties on broiler or grill pan coated with cooking spray. Cook 4 minutes on each side or until done.

Line bottom half of buns with lettuce leaves. Top each with 1 tomato slice, 1 patty, and top half of bun.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 burger)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
    CALORIES 336(26% from fat); FAT 9.7g (sat 3.6g,mono 2.9g,poly 2g); PROTEIN 29.6g; CHOLESTEROL 79mg; CALCIUM 134mg; SODIUM 617mg; FIBER 2.3g; IRON 4.3mg; CARBOHYDRATE 30.9g

I love lamb burgers, and the recipe posted by Clover looks great.

For one of our supper clubs the host made gyros using this recipe for the meat. They were great.
    Ashley

The instant we become an adult is the moment when the instinct to love is greater than the desire to be loved

I love Rachael Ray's 30 minute shepherds pie, which is made with ground lamb. Let me know if you would like the recipe posted.
    Miche

Here's another good lamb burger option.

Greek Feta Burgers
    Substitute ground round for the ground lamb, if desired.

1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained, and squeezed dry
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    1 egg white, lightly beaten
    3/4 pound lean ground lamb
    1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
    1/4 cup chopped fresh mint or 4 teaspoons dried mint flakes
    Cooking spray
    4 (1 1/2-ounce) hamburger buns with onions
    1/2 cup diced tomato
    Cucumber-Dill Sauce

Combine first 4 ingredients in a bowl; stir well. Add lamb, cheese, and mint; stir well. Divide mixture into 4 equal portions, shaping into 1/2-inch-thick patties. Prepare grill. Place patties on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 5 minutes on each side or until done.

Place patties on bottom halves of buns; top each with 2 tablespoons tomato, 2 tablespoons Cucumber-Dill Sauce, and top half of bun.

Yield: 4 servings

NUTRITION PER SERVING
    CALORIES 336(31% from fat); FAT 11.4g (sat 4.6g,mono 3.6g,poly 0.9g); PROTEIN 28.9g; CHOLESTEROL 74mg; CALCIUM 208mg; SODIUM 425mg; FIBER 2.7g; IRON 3.8mg; CARBOHYDRATE 29.2g

Cooking Light, JULY 1996

MOUSSAKA! CL has a pretty decent recipe for moussaka, too.

Karen