Community Message Boards

Thread: Review: Cilantro Pesto Pizza w/Mushroom & Red Onion, June '01

Hybrid View

Smile Review: Cilantro Pesto Pizza w/Mushroom & Red Onion, June '01

The Cilantro Pesto Pizza with Mushroom & Red Onions recipe looked so good I had to scrap my planned pizza for Friday night. However, I was disappointed in it. Still good, just not as good as I hoped it would be. My DH and I agreed that it was just more subtle than we expected.

We grilled the pizza and I used my "normal" crust which has 1/2c of whole wheat flour in it.

Anyone else tried this? I'm not sure how I'd go about fixing it but I'm sure we'll tinker with it.

Kim

I liked the pizza. You definitey have to be a fan of cilantro though because I thought that flavor came through very strong. I was lazy and did not make my own dough. I used a boboli instead.

I have all the ingredients to make this on Thursday - I have even already made the pesto and put it in the freezer. I am also going to be using a Boboli crust! I will post my review on Friday.

I made this - it was yummy (I am a cilantro fan). Definitely a keeper.

Thumbs down

I am a huge cilantro fan and wish I hadn't just wasted it all on this pizza. I will not be making this again.

Thumbs up

I made it on Friday and loved it! I too used a Boboli crust. I substituted part-skim mozzarella for the fontina and added chopped sun-dried tomatoes (the dry kind, which I reconstituted in water for a bit). Yummy!

I made this Thursday and thought it was excellent! Using a Boboli cuts out a lot of time to make this a good week night dish. DH was skeptical at the mention of cilantro pesto at first but loved it at first bite!

Lightbulb

all of you boboli lovers...
    may i make a suggestion? have you tried jiffy pizza crust in the little blue/ white box? all you do is add water! i think it's better tasting than boboli, healthier, and cheaper... only 40 cents!!!

Thanks for the tip! I'll definitely try that the next time!

Ohmygosh, this is awesome. I loved this pizza -- definitely a make-over (well, once I try all of the other pizza recipes I can find.... ).
    I absolutely loved the pesto; it had so much flavor, and the combination with the mushrooms and fontina was excellent. I thought it gave a lot of depth to the overall flavor.
    Just to note, I did a few things differently: I made RunnerKim's whole wheat pizza dough, I used creminis instead of portobellos, some Vidalias in addition to the red onion, and rather than making one large pizza that served 5 (which I thought was absurd to begin with), I made two individual pizzas, which was a much more reasonable serving size.
    Anyway, yum.

Question

You know, I think I'm really going to have to make this again - is it possible my cilantro was weak? I just don't recall it having much flavor. I really expected it to be more robust.

EmilyCat -- when you mentioned them, I actually made all the same changes you did. didn't see the point of buying portobellos to just chop them up. I always do 2 smaller pizzas - its easier to handle. I didn't add the Vidalias though.

Kim

Kim

Thumbs up

I have made this twice now. My DH and I both really like it. The cilantro flavor is not very strong, but it is good. I used a 10" premade thin crust that I found in with the pizza crust mixes. I also used crimini mushrooms. I agree with Emily, that the serving size is ridiculous, though. It makes a good light meal for my DH and I along with some fruit or salad (he eats a lot!). Anyway, this is definitely a keeper!

Chrisi

Red face

We agree that this is a good pizza. We had it this weekend and the DH and I ate the whole thing.

We had this last night and thought it was tasty. Although I think the word "pesto" is a bit of a stretch: I had to double the olive oil to get it to resemble pesto. It was much better, and worth the calorie splurge, IMO. I used TJ's pizza dough and rolled it very thin. The mushroom flavor was great and paired nicely with the creamy fontina. Not bad for a low-fat pizza; I'd make it again.

Forgive me, I'm bumping this up because it sounds wonderful but I can't find the recipe. Can anyone please post it? Thanks!

Here is the recipe. Enjoy.

Cilantro Pesto Pizza Topped with Portobellos and Red Onion

Extra-virgin olive oil, Parmigiano-Reggiano, and fresh cilantro make the pesto that tops this simple-to-make pizza. To save time, use refrigerated pizza crust.

Crust:
    1 package dry yeast (about 2 1/4 teaspoons)
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1/2 cup warm water (100 to 110)
    1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
    1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
    Cooking spray
    2 teaspoons yellow cornmeal

Pesto:
    2 cups fresh cilantro leaves
    1 tablespoon coarsely chopped walnuts
    1 tablespoon grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
    1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
    1 1/2 teaspoons water
    1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

Pizza:
    4 1/2 cups coarsely chopped portobello mushrooms (about 10 ounces)
    1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
    1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    3/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
    3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded fontina cheese

To prepare crust, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water in a large bowl, and let stand 5 minutes. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Add 1 1/4 cups flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt to yeast mixture; stir until a soft dough forms. Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 10 minutes); add enough of the remaining flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands (dough will feel tacky).
    Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85), free from drafts, for 30 minutes or until doubled in size. (Press two fingers into dough. If indentation remains, the dough has risen enough.)

Punch the dough down; cover and let rest 5 minutes. Roll dough into a 12-inch circle on a floured surface. Place dough on a 12-inch pizza pan or baking sheet sprinkled with cornmeal. Crimp edges of dough with fingers to form a rim. Cover and let rise 10 minutes or until puffy.

Preheat oven to 450.

To prepare pesto, place cilantro and next 5 ingredients (cilantro through 1/2 teaspoon salt) in a food processor, and process until smooth, scraping sides of bowl occasionally.

To prepare the pizza, heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms; cook 5 minutes or until moisture evaporates, stirring constantly. Add the vinegar, and cook until liquid evaporates. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Spoon the mushroom mixture onto pizza crust. Drop pesto by teaspoonfuls onto pizza crust. Top with onion, and sprinkle with fontina. Bake at 450 for 15 minutes or until the crust is lightly browned. Let stand for 5 minutes.

Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 wedge)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
    CALORIES 233 (30% from fat); FAT 7.7g (sat 3.3g, mono 2.5g, poly 1.3g); PROTEIN 10.1g; CARB 31.8g; FIBER 3.3g; CHOL 17mg; IRON 3.8mg; SODIUM 354mg; CALC 133mg;

Maureen Callahan
    Cooking Light, JUNE 2001

Thanks! I could live on mushrooms so I am always hunting for new recipes. If I can talk my DH into it, I'll make it this weekend.