Community Message Boards

Thread: White WW Flour - Is bitter taste bad??

Question White WW Flour - Is bitter taste bad??

For the second time I've made something with white WW flour that tastes bitter. Does this mean flour has gone bad? First bag was KA White WW and second was Bob's Red Mill WW white pastry flour. In both cases i've had flour about 6 months. Is bitterness a sign of rancidity? Or is it supposed to taste that way? Any insight from more experienced White WW users would be appreciated.
    Coffee, the finest organic suspension ever devised. Janeway : Voyager

It's true that whole wheat flour can go rancid much faster than white, and if you've had it 6 months and didn't store in the fridge, that could certainly have happened. Rancid isn't the same as bitter, but whole wheat bread should taste of neither. So, if your bread tastes off, rancid flour could indeed be the cause.

Have you tasted the flour? If it has gone bad then it should taste bad right out of the bag. It shouldn't get worse as you bake it. If the flour tastes ok then maybe it is one of the other ingredients. I think the white W W flour does taste different from either white or regular whole wheat, but I wouldn't call it bitter. Maybe heavy? Stronger?

Yes, It tastes bad (bitter) right out of the bag (at least to me). I don't ever recall getting this bitter taste with regular WW flour just the white type. I had assumed rancid flour had a smell similar to rancid oil (right? wrong?)which is not the issue with this flour - it is just the taste. Anyway since I rarely use up a whole bag of WW flour in a timely fashion maybe I need to think about storing it in the frig. Is that what you all do?
    Coffee, the finest organic suspension ever devised. Janeway : Voyager

I store mine in the freezer unless I think I will use it up in a couple of months and then it is in the refrigerator from the time I get home with it (as opposed to actually opening the bag).

I have KA WWW flour that I store in the freezer. Iguess that I've had it for about 6 months now. I just used some[1 cup] yesterday in Moomie's buns, and it was fine.

Vicky