Community Message Boards

Thread: citrus pith question

citrus pith question

DH asked me today if the white part of the grapefruit that's inside the peel is good for you. Isn't that called the pith? I think I remember reading somewhere a long time ago that it is good for you but I don't remember why. Anyone here have any info? Is it also true for other citrus fruits?

While I don't know that it's necessarily bad for you, it is very bitter and doesn't have much to offer in the way of flavour, so it's excluded. This is true for all citrus that I can think of.
    "Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. We need to have the strength and power of a football player, the stamina of a marathon runner and the concentration of a brain surgeon. But, we need to put all this together while moving at high speeds on a cold and slippery surface while 5 other guys use clubs to try and kill us. Oh, yeah, did I mention that this whole time we're standing on blades 1/8 of an inch thick. Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. Next question."

Althought there ARE recipes that call for an entire citrus fruit (usually orange or lemon) to be run through a food mill and added to the rest of the ingredients. Pith and all. I have seen this done for both cakes and relishes. They never spell it out, but I am sure the seeds are excluded!
    kathyb

Less rhetoric, more cowbell!

I have a recipe for cranberry relish (or something like that) which calls for a whole orange, skin and all. Haven't tried the recipe yet.
    As far as nutritional value, I think the bitterness probably indicates that there are some powerful compounds in the pith that might be good for you, but it tastes so bad that I'd rather get my health-promoting compounds elsewhere!

Limonene is a phytochemical found in citrus peel and has been shown in lab animals to block the development of breast tumors and causes existing tumors to regress.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

I know the outer peel can be bitter, but with the grapefruits I've been eating lately at least, the soft white pith inside the peel is actually very tasty. Which is why DH asked the question I'm sure. I knew that all the white membrane stuff is supposed to be healthy, but I wasn't sure about the other. We've been slicing them in wedges like an orange and biting the fruit off the peel and getting quite a bit of the inside peel in the process. It's good! Except for the seeds, I guess the whole darn thing is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by JulieM
    DH asked me today if the white part of the grapefruit that's inside the peel is good for you. Isn't that called the pith? I think I remember reading somewhere a long time ago that it is good for you but I don't remember why. Anyone here have any info? Is it also true for other citrus fruits?
    The bioflavonoids are found in the pith of the citrus fruits, usually the part people peel and discard.

Bioflavonoids are good for capillary strength. If someone has varicose veins, or bruises easily, then they would benefit from eating that part of the fruit, as well as taking bioflavonoid supplements.

Also very good for maintaining and repairing collagen.

What can I say? My friends read novels, I read nutrition books.
    "If you aren't living on the edge, you're taking up too much space."

i think the pith/white layer is where the majority of the Vitamin C is in citrus fruit. If I remember correctly.....