Community Message Boards

Thread: 600 calorie or less dinners

600 calorie or less dinners

I'm going on vacation in two weeks and I need to eat lighter in anticipation of eating out every day for a week. Can anyone give me your best 600 calorie or less dinner? I am in need of some inspiration!
    Thanks!

Here are a few standards that we like:

Superfast Salisbury Steak (CL 1/01): 210 cal
    1 c mashed potatoes (w/whole milk...those are the only calculations I could find..I make mine with skim milk): 174 cal
    1/2 c cooked carrots: 27 cal
    Total: 411

White Bean Enchiladas (CL 11/00): 372 cal
    Pair with a salad which is low in calories

Broccoli and Cheese Soup (CL 1/02):203 cal
    with a few whole wheat rolls for dunking
    and some fruit with light cool whip for dessert

Grilled Pork Chops with Sweet Peach Sauce (CL 6/01):266 cal
    serve with a green veggie
    and 1/2c brown rice (108 cal)

Hope these help! Have a great vacation!

Thanks for the help. It was exactly what I needed. I'm going to make the pork chops tomorrow, the Salisbury Steak on Wednesday, and the enchiladas on Thursday. I have everything already on hand for these meals. My husband doesn't do broccoli so I will have to wait to try that recipe for when he isn't home for dinner. Thanks for the new ideas! I can't wait to try them.

The key is to measure your portions. What about:

1 cup of whole wheat pasta, an ounce of fat free or part skim mozzarella, a 1/4 c. of sauce with a big salad and balsamic vinegar on it plus another veggie.

4 oz. of fish or chicken with a 4 oz. baked potato or 1/2 c. barley, brown rice or wild rice and steamed veggies/salad as much as you want.

Suz

Almost every meal I cook has less than 600 calories - I don't even bother with a recipe that realistically will add up to more than that.

Most of the grilled fish and chicken recipes fit the bill as well as baked and sauted dishes. I also will add either a simple steamed veggie, stir fry -- or if I have time an interesting veggie side which I fill up on --

I don't avoid complex carbs but I do really limit my portions of these for weight control -- I might not have a carb side at dinner at all if I am planning something like popcorn for a snack.

I tend not to make any of the CL dishes that are pasta based or have lots of cheese -- I find the calories for a realistic portion are way too high -- especially when the rest of the meal is factored in.

Sorry I can't be more specific but I think I have about 2000 recipes in my database that would qualify as I the only time I would consciously and deliberately eat more calories than that at a single meal is for a festive occasion of some sort or eating out at a really divine restaurant or an ethnic dive.

450 calories - Turkish Stuffed Eggplant; Couscous.
    429 calories - Greek Chicken Souvlaki Salad; Garlic Pita Chips; Baked Apple.
    440 calories - Turkey; Dressing; Wild/Brown Rice/Caramelized Onions; Coleslaw.
    400 calories - Omelet; Salsa/Sour Cream/Cilantro; Tamale; Fruit Cup.
    461 calories - Zero Point Weight Watchers Vegetable Soup, 10 soda crackers, Baked Apple.
    340 calories - Grilled Chicken Salad; Chipotle Dressing, Tomato; Cucumber, Olives; Onion; Peanuts; Cilantro; Tortilla Chips.
    392 calories - 2 Pulled Pork Sandwiches on buns; Coleslaw.
    500 calories - Tuna-Macaroni Casserole, Peas, Cucumber-Onion Salad, Raspberry Gelatin.
    257 calories - Chesapeake Bay Shrimp; Raspberry Gelatin.
    415 calories - Turkey; Dressing; Broccoli; Cucumber-Onion Salad; 2 cups Popcorn.
    300 calories - Spaghetti Squash; Spaghetti Sauce; Coleslaw; Raspberry gelatin.
    600 calories - Lasagna; Cabbage Salad; Apple Crisp.
    492 calories - Catfish Creole Stew, Brown Rice, Coleslaw.
    600 calories - Chicken Gumbo; Rice.
    456 calories - Spaghetti Squash/Tomato Sauce; 2 Toffee Cookies.
    459 calories - Chicken Panini with tomato/onion/aioli mayonnaise; Unsalted potato chips; Kosher Dill Pickle; Plain Gelatin.
    448 calories - Baked potato/Salsa/Sour Cream/Cilantro; 1 Toffee Cookie.
    600 calories - Chicken Gumbo; Rice.
    Last edited by ADM; 06-19-2006 at 02:21 PM.
    The cardiologist's diet: - If it tastes good spit it out!

Wow! Thanks everyone for all your ideas. I generally eat well during the day, it is dinner that is the hardest for portion control. These ideas will really help.