Community Message Boards

Thread: What to serve w/mac and cheese

What to serve w/mac and cheese

We're having some people, and their kids (under 10) over for dinner.

I have an absolutly decadent mac and cheese recipe that I want to serve for the universality of it, but am not sure what to serve with it. We don't eat it often, but when we do it's a main course. However, I still think of it as a side. Would something on the grill work--maybe chicken or salmon? Maybe a protean heavy salad (like chicken caesar or something?)

It's not super hot here, but warmish.

thanks for any ideas!!

ps. I suppose I should share the mac and cheese recipe. The cheese called for is from Northen CA, but now that I've moved to WA, I'm not sure I can find it. I need to find a sub Just a warning--this is a heart attack on a plate--don't say I didn't warn you

Fiscalini's Three Cheese "Grown Up" Macaroni
    1 stick unsalted butter
    1 cup Panko (Asian) Bread crumbs
    1/3 cup all-purpose flour
    3 cups EACH heavy cream and milk
    1-1/4 pounds coarsely grated Fiscalini Bandage Wrapped Cheddar Cheese
    1/2 pound coarsely grated Fiscalini San Joaquin Gold Cheese
    1/4 pound coarsely grated Fiscalini Whole Milk Parmesan Cheese
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    Salk and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
    1 pound elbow macaroni, cooked al dente (add a bit of olive oil to cooking water, to prevent sticking)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly coat or spray inside of a 3 quart casserole baking dish with olive oil. Set aside.

Melt 1/4 stick of butter in large saucepan. Add breadcrumbs and stir until thoroughly coated. Transfer breadcrumbs to bowl. Wipe out saucepan with paper towel, being careful not to burn your fingertips. Place back on low heat and melt remaining butter until it begins to bubble. Whisk in flour, stirring about 3 minutes. In another saucepan, scald cream and milk; slowly pour into flour mixture, whisking until well blended. Continue whisking until sauce is smooth and begins to thicken (8 - 10 minutes). Remove from heat.

Mix three cheeses together with cayenne, salt and black pepper. Add about 3/4 cheese mixture to saucepan, stirring until cheese is melted. Add cooled macaroni to sauce. Taste to check if seasoning is correct. Pour into prepared casserole; top with remaining cheese and breadcrumbs. Bake 30 minutes or until bubbling. If top doesn't turn golden brown, place under broiler - watch carefully - to finish crust. Let casserole sit about 10 minutes before serving. Servers 10 to 12.

I would serve it with a green vegetable (salad, broccoli, green beans, etc) and hamburgers on the grill.
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?

WOW--does THAT look good! Ususally I have meatloaf with mac & cheese, but this deserves something far more light and delicate. Maybe broiled fish? I think salmon would be overkill....maybe just broiled or grilled tilapia. Or chicken cutlets. Something tasty but light.
    Just another Susan

"Peggy, here I am tryin' to contain an outbreak, and you're drivin' the monkey to the airport!" Hank Hill

www.thebreastcancersite.com Click here to fund free mammograms!

I was going to suggest hamburgers also. That is what DH always wants with his burgers.

I would serve it with salad and chicken quarters on the grill.

Menu by Paula Deen!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cookieee
    I was going to suggest hamburgers also. That is what DH always wants with his burgers.

Of course, you can just mainline the combined cholestrol right into the old arteries and head straight for the emergency room!

Bob

Pork chops, peas and of coarse apple sauce. Would also make a nice salad for the adults who are looking for some lighter healthier choices to fill up on.
    A well rounded person is perfectly pointless. - Carrie

I personally think the chicken caesar idea you mentioned is a great one. Or you can just grill chicken breasts and have a nice chopped salad.
    "Comfy? I'm chained in a bathtub drinkin' pig's blood from a novelty mug. Doesn't rank huge in the Zagut's Guide."

- Spike, "Something Blue"

My lil site:
    http://greysangel.wordpress.com

Barbecued something or other sounds great.

Mac and cheese is also good with ham. I have served a spiral-sliced ham as the entree for spring and summer parties. I serve with three salads -- green, carb (potato or pasta), and geletin. In your case, you could serve ham, hot mac/cheese, green salad and light desert.

Have fun!

Kay

If you are going to eat the mac n cheese like a main dish, I would just serve a salad with it.

what about some chicken fingers? you could keep it themed for "adult" kid's food and make them coconut crusted with a couple of dipping sauces.

One of our favorite dinners is mac n' cheese, ham, greens, blackeyed peas and corn muffins. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!

Bonnie

Well, since it looks like we're just main linin' cholesterol and fat I'll suggest my favorite meal....fried chicken, macaroni and cheese and green beans.
    Terri _A
    I'm anal retentive. I'm a workaholic. I have insomnia. And I'm a control freak. That's why I'm not married. Who could stand me?” -Madonna

Read my ramblings about food and my nutty life on A Girl in the South!

I like a bright and colorful side with my mac and cheese- a favorite is blanched broccoli spears tossed with halved cherry tomatoes and drizzled with a light vinaigrette.

Quote Originally Posted by Terri_A
    Well, since it looks like we're just main linin' cholesterol and fat I'll suggest my favorite meal....fried chicken, macaroni and cheese and green beans.
    I certainly hope you follow that feast with Paula's Gooey Toffee Butter Cake!

Bob