Community Message Boards

Thread: Unopened- expired sourcream ques help

Red face Unopened- expired sourcream ques help

The sourcream expired on 3rd july and I want to use it in a cake recipe... is it ok?

Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't hesitate to use it...unless of course it smelled funky or had mold growing on it. I bet it's just fine though.

I would definitely think it's ok. I use "expired" sour cream, buttermilk, etc. all the time. Particularly if it's been unopened. Just check it when you open it - if you see any mold, or it smells wierd, don't use it. But unless your fridge isn't at a cool enough temp for some reason, it's very unlikely that it would be bad.

I am no coward. Foolhardy, maybe, but definitely not a coward! LOL !
    I would absolutely feel comfortable using the sour cream.

Today I made scones using up the last of my opened carton of buttermilk....expiration date: June 9. Smelled fine and nothing funky-looking going on, so I used it! Scones are delicious, by the way.

wow! thanks a lot. After reading all you replies, there's no doubt I'm a coward .

Quote Originally Posted by crackers
    I am no coward. Foolhardy, maybe, but definitely not a coward! LOL !
    I would absolutely feel comfortable using the sour cream.

Today I made scones using up the last of my opened carton of buttermilk....expiration date: June 9. Smelled fine and nothing funky-looking going on, so I used it! Scones are delicious, by the way.

LOL!! I use buttermilk until it doesn't pour! I'd never drink the stuff even when it's fresh but I don't hesitate to use it or sour cream well beyond the date!
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

The date on dairy products is not an expiration date, it's a "sell by" date. All dairy products are supposed to be good for at least a week after the sell-by date. With things like sour cream and buttermilk, I find that they are usually fine long after that, especially if unopened.

There are probably thousands of dollars worth of perfectly good products thrown out every day because people don't understand what dates on packages really mean. It's such a waste.

Quote Originally Posted by sneezles
    LOL!! I use buttermilk until it doesn't pour! I'd never drink the stuff even when it's fresh but I don't hesitate to use it or sour cream well beyond the date!

Me too. Sour cream gets moldy eventually, after it's opened, but other than that - it's already sour to start with!

Quote Originally Posted by sneezles

Sneezles, we are soooo on the same wavelength in regards to buttermilk! The stuff isn't made for actually drinking, is it? *shudder*

Farhana - Being cautious isn't a bad idea at all. As I said, I made and ate the scones, but maybe you should wait a day or two and see if I survived my foolhardiness! LOL! (I have no doubt at all that your sour cream is just fine! Maybe even a little better for the extra "aging".... do I have a great philosophical outlook, or what? LOL!)

Sneezles, we are soooo on the same wavelength in regards to buttermilk! The stuff isn't made for actually drinking, is it? *shudder*

Yeah, my dad use to drink it but back then it was the real stuff not manufactured.

As to expiration/sell-by dates for dairy they are regulated on a state level but for almost all products that are not ultra-pasturized the product is only good for about 7 days after opening regardless of the expiration/sell-by date...though I don't hold to it for sour cream, buttermilk or cream cheese.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

The stuff isn't made for actually drinking, is it? *shudder*
    Actually, I drink it all the time. This isn't a common use for it outside the South, but it is quite tasty. If you like to eat plain yogurt and sour cream, it's not that much of a stretch. It also makes great smoothies, like a yogurt smoothie but thinner.

Quote Originally Posted by funniegrrl
    Actually, I drink it all the time. This isn't a common use for it outside the South, but it is quite tasty. If you like to eat plain yogurt and sour cream, it's not that much of a stretch. It also makes great smoothies, like a yogurt smoothie but thinner.

"Tasty" being in the mouth of the beholder, I would think! I am sure it is an acquired taste....yogurt being in the same category, in my own case. Yes, I now enjoy the taste of yogurt, but I still find that I prefer it with something crunchy (ie, granola). Do you think crunchy buttermilk would work??

Fruit smoothies w/ buttermilk actually sound, ummm, not bad! I do enjoy the tang (as with yogurt/sour cream).....are there any additional health benefits to using buttermilk (as opposed to, say, yogurt)? You've got me curious now, so I may have to pick up another quart. And I wonder how long this carton will last..... I just love living on the edge.

To Val Chemist and everyone else

If you turn any dairy product except milk upside down you can usually keep it/use it way longer than the expiration date. Maybe Val Chemist can explain why. I only know that we've been doing it for years and it almost never fails.

Suz

Yes, I now enjoy the taste of yogurt, but I still find that I prefer it with something crunchy (ie, granola). Do you think crunchy buttermilk would work??
    AC-tually ... an old southern snack is to crumble leftover cornbread in a glass and fill with buttermilk. Sort of a salty/tangy milktoast variation. And, my grandmother (and I) used to sub Fritos for the cornbread. So there ya go!

are there any additional health benefits to using buttermilk (as opposed to, say, yogurt
    None of any significance that I know of. The benefit of yogurt is the active cultures, if it does indeed have active cultures. Otherwise it, and buttermilk, are just variations of milk.

when you store it upside down, the air from outside (oxygen/mold spores) isn't getting to it as much, so slower growth of the organisms in there I guess. but it is more of a biology question.

this only works if you are careful not to mix it up... in other words, the empty spot at the bottom of the container (now the top when you turn it upside down) should not be allowed to be exposed to the air by stirring.

I hope I am explaining this correctly... I am not even exactly sure myself.

My son once found a yogurt in mil's fridge that was *months* out of date. And ate it. . He didn't even get a stomach ache! Makes me feel a little more comfortable with any of the cultured stuff.
    Barbara

Nutella is love! - 9yr old ds

Quote Originally Posted by newtricks
    My son once found a yogurt in mil's fridge that was *months* out of date. And ate it. . He didn't even get a stomach ache! Makes me feel a little more comfortable with any of the cultured stuff.

Of course he did. So would I.

In fact, two days ago I came on a turkey ham chub in the fridge that was vacuum packed and dated June 7. I opened it, smelled fine. Tested a bit. Tasted fine. What the heck? I've been enjoying ham and eggs all week and no ill effects whatsoever.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Farhana
    The sourcream expired on 3rd july and I want to use it in a cake recipe... is it ok? Thanks in advance.
    If you open it and it doesn't have "green measles", use it!
    The cardiologist's diet: - If it tastes good spit it out!

the best homemade bread and pancakes (and other baked goods) are made with spoiled milk. like the kind that is old and stinky and makes you want to throw up from the smell.
    no one ever believes me, but i definitely save a bunch of money from using rotten milk

just don't forget to not eat the raw batters/doughs... hehe
    - Josie