Community Message Boards

Thread: Is london broil=flank steak?

Is london broil=flank steak?

I thought these were different cuts, but on a Food Network show, someone said they were the same
    So, are they the same or different???

In California, they are different cuts of meat.

Here is a picture of a flank steak

From foodsubs

London broil Notes: This is the name of a finished dish, not a cut of meat, but butchers sometimes assign the name "London broil" to the following cuts: flank steak, top round steak, or top blade steak. Each would work well in a London broil recipe.

Here there is actually meat sold as london broil and it is usually top round steak
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?

This is interesting Ask the Meat Man.

This is the gist:

Let's get it straight, London Broil is a Cooking Method - NOT a cut of beef!!
    But, many grocery store meat departments and butcher shops sell a cut of beef labeled London Broil. What cut of beef is it usually?

It is usually Top Round Roast.
    Everyone needs to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. . .

What Pammela said...

London Broil is a method. Unfortunately Top round has become the default cut leading to the misconception that top round is London Broil. Pretty much any cut can be prepared in London Broil fashion.

I have always known that "London Broil" was a method of preparation, but understood that flank steak is what is used. That's what we used when I worked in a restaurant many moons ago, and it is what I sometimes see labeled "London Broil" at the meat counter. I've never seen other cuts labled that way.

In the stores I've visited, what they label London Broil looks more like a top round. Definitely not flank steak. I guess it depends on what store you visit..............

I agree with Lindrusso...here in NJ top round is labeled as London Broil..not flank steak. Flank steak and skirt steak I believe are one and the same. Once you see flank steak, you wont mistake it for any other cut...it's a lot thinner than a "steak" and usually in a long strip..often times doubled over if it's 1lb or more.
    "Comfy? I'm chained in a bathtub drinkin' pig's blood from a novelty mug. Doesn't rank huge in the Zagut's Guide."

- Spike, "Something Blue"

My lil site:
    http://greysangel.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by greysangel
    I agree with Lindrusso...here in NJ top round is labeled as London Broil..not flank steak. Flank steak and skirt steak I believe are one and the same. Once you see flank steak, you wont mistake it for any other cut...it's a lot thinner than a "steak" and usually in a long strip..often times doubled over if it's 1lb or more.
    Nope...flank steak and skirt steak are two separate cuts of meat

Here is what skirt steak looks like

skirt steak = beef plate skirt steak = fajita meat = Philadelphia steak Notes: These look like thick-grained flank steaks, and they're the cut of choice for making fajitas. Since they're marbled with fat, they also make for very juicy steaks. It's best to pound them flat, marinate briefly, then cook them over high heat. Substitutes: flank steak OR hanger steak
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?