Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Talapia with Citrus Bagna Cauda anyone???

Talapia with Citrus Bagna Cauda anyone???

Has anyone tried this recipe from Giada yet???? I saw her make it yesterday and it looked really pretty and super tasty! Hopefully I get around to making it this weekend..............

Tilapia with Citrus Bagna Cauda

Recipe Summary
    Difficulty: Easy
    Prep Time: 15 minutes
    Cook Time: 10 minutes
    Yield: 6 servings

3 tablespoons unsalted butter
    2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus 2 teaspoons
    4 anchovy fillets, minced
    1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
    2 tablespoons orange juice
    2 tablespoon thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
    1 teaspoon lemon zest
    1 teaspoon orange zest
    6 (6-ounce) skinless tilapia fillets
    Salt and freshly ground pepper

Cook the butter and 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil in a heavy medium saucepan over low to medium heat just until the butter is melted, stirring frequently. Add the anchovies and stir until the anchovies dissolve, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and cook just until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Remove from the heat. Stir in the orange juice, basil, and lemon and orange zests. Season the sauce, to taste, with salt.
    The bagna cauda sauce can be made 1 day ahead. Cool, then cover and refrigerate. Rewarm before using.
    Meanwhile, preheat oven to 200 degrees F.
    Sprinkle the fish with salt and pepper and brush both sides of the fish with remaining 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil. Working in 2 batches, fry the fish until just opaque in center, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer fish to platter. Cover with foil and keep warm in the oven while cooking the second batch of fish. Drizzle the sauce over and around the fish and serve.

Wow, that sounds delicious-I try it soon.

I have made this and highly recommend it - really good! I served it with the marinated, grilled zucchini and yellow squash (I think from the same episode.)

Sheila

We had this last night and it was wonderful. Easy enough to do. I will do this one again.

Great!!! Its on my menu for tonight!!!!

For those who have made this, did you use the anchovies? If so, do you know they are there or do they just add a certain uniqueness to the diish?

I never cook with them so am a bit leery, although I did see Giada make this and it looks wonderful. Do they sell them near the canned tuna and such at the grocery store?
    -Amy

Quote Originally Posted by penguin
    For those who have made this, did you use the anchovies? If so, do you know they are there or do they just add a certain uniqueness to the diish?

I never cook with them so am a bit leery, although I did see Giada make this and it looks wonderful. Do they sell them near the canned tuna and such at the grocery store?
    I used the anchovies, and no they don't stand out, they just add "a certain uniqueness". Yes, they generally sell them near the tuna or sardines.

I am not a big fan of anchovies either but they typically add a dimension of flavor that no other substitution could provide. Instead of buying the cans of anchovies, I use anchovy paste out of a tube, which can be stored in the refrigerator for a long time. That way I don't have to throw away leftover anchovies after using a few in a recipe.

Thanks for pointing out this recipe NMG. I have some tilapia in the freezer which I need to use up. I plan to give this a try. The reviews on FoodNetwork.com were outstanding.
    The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue. - Anonymous

I made this dish because I had everything except the anchovies. I did have anchovy paste in the refrigerator, so I just used that. It was a quick and tasty recipe and we liked it. I think it would be even better using anchovies. I will definitely make it again.

Thanks for the anchovy info everyone! I think I might try it, but I'm not telling DH what's in the sauce until after he eats it.
    -Amy

This dish was very, very good! Made it last night with the anchovies and thought the sauce was excellant!!!! This is a def keeper

Penguin - the Anchovies do not stand out as in "I'm eating anchovies". They give the sauce a great flavor and a wonderful color when melted in with the butter.

MMmm, this looks good! Do you think it would still work if I cut back on the butter/oil?

Quote Originally Posted by meslgh
    MMmm, this looks good! Do you think it would still work if I cut back on the butter/oil?
    Yes - I think it would work fine as long as you didn't reduce it anymore than half........

We had this tonight for dinner and it was excellent! My only complaint was the tilapia stuck to my non-stick pan. Was I supposed to brush the fish with the 2 t. olive oil and then deep-fry it in oil? I found this part confusing and since I refuse to deep-fry anything at home, the fish stuck terribly. But boy did they taste good!

Any good ideas on what to do with my leftover anchovies?
    -Amy

No, you do not deep fry the fish - mine stuck a tad to my grill/griddle, but not too bad.........maybe just add a tad more oil next time????

NMG, thanks so much for posting this recipe. I made it last night and thought it was awesome. It was so easy I had guilt in taking credit for such a good meal (but of course I did anyway).
    I seriously goofed, however, my trying to do the tilapia right on the grill. I had a major mess but at least it still tasted good. I am trying to learn to like fish so I don't have real good skills at cooking it. Any tips on a better way to grill tilapia? I brushed it with olive oil and put it right on the grate.
    "When you are in love with someone you want to be near him all the time, except when you are out buying things and charging them to him." Miss Piggy

i"ve never tried to grill tilapia. My experiences with grilling fish are not good. I usually cook tilapia in a nonstick skillet sprayed with Pam. Although, last time, I used my mother's cast iron skillet that I just acquired. I put a little olive oil in the pan. The tilapia cooked quickly with a beautiful golden crust.

Quote Originally Posted by NancyR
    NMG, thanks so much for posting this recipe. I made it last night and thought it was awesome. It was so easy I had guilt in taking credit for such a good meal (but of course I did anyway).
    I seriously goofed, however, my trying to do the tilapia right on the grill. I had a major mess but at least it still tasted good. I am trying to learn to like fish so I don't have real good skills at cooking it. Any tips on a better way to grill tilapia? I brushed it with olive oil and put it right on the grate.
    I personally haven't grilled a lot of fish (although I really enjoyed this and would LOVE to attempt to grill a whole fish) but I think using a skillet as Judy K. suggested would be fine. You could even turn your spatula around so that the fish is easier to flip off the pan...........

Nancy R, when my DH and I grill certain fish (salmon and tilapia to name two), we punch holes through a large piece of foil and place the foil on the grill and the fish on the foil (whew!). It cooks beautifully every time and never sticks or falls apart. The fish doesn't have grill marks, but it definitely has the grill flavor. I can't wait to try this recipe.

Denise
    "If you're lucky enough to live in the mountains, you're lucky enough."

Re the anchovies, you can often find them in a jar instead of one of those little tins, which makes storing leftovers longer a lot easier. As for leftover anchovies, here are some options:

Caesar salad
    Fresh tomato salad topped with shredded basil, capers, and anchovies
    Puttanesca sauce (probably the best one if you aren't a major fan of anchovies)
    PIZZA or pissaladière (sort of like a French pizza)

NMG, thanks for reminding me about this recipe. I had marked it to try, but never actually made it.
    "In France, cooking is a serious art form and a national sport."
    --Julia Child

Quote Originally Posted by honeygirl1971
    Re the anchovies, you can often find them in a jar instead of one of those little tins, which makes storing leftovers longer a lot easier. As for leftover anchovies, here are some options:

Caesar salad
    Fresh tomato salad topped with shredded basil, capers, and anchovies
    Puttanesca sauce (probably the best one if you aren't a major fan of anchovies)
    PIZZA or pissaladière (sort of like a French pizza)

NMG, thanks for reminding me about this recipe. I had marked it to try, but never actually made it.
    I LOVE anchovies in pizza sauce and I made this Spanish dressing a while ago (I have to dig up the recipe) with a few anchovies in the dressing - so good!
    I have never made a puttanesca sauce - do you have a good recipe???? TIA!

I don't use a recipe when I make puttanesca sauce, but I'd bet anything Giada has one on the Food Network site, and if she doesn't, someone else must. I just sauté some onions and garlic in olive oil, add crushed tomatoes and a bit of wine, then, after simmering a bit, add chopped anchovies, chopped black olives, rinsed capers, and black pepper. I simmer it a bit longer, then it's done...it's SO easy and SO good!
    "In France, cooking is a serious art form and a national sport."
    --Julia Child

And to think I almost passed by this thread, because I didn't recognize some words in the title, and now I get to share my favorite pasta recipe!

Pasta Puttanesca

8 oz Pasta
    1 Tbs Olive oil
    3 cloves Garlic, minced
    1/2 tsp Red pepper flakes
    6 each rinsed Anchovies
    2 cans Italian diced tomatoes
    2 Tbs Capers
    1/2 cup Kalamata Olives, chopped

1 Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain, return to pot.
    2 Meanwhile, heat 1T olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add 3 minced garlic cloves, 1/2 tsp (or less) crushed red pepper and 6 rinsed anchovie filets, mashing them with a wooden spoon. Cook, stirring until garlic is fragrant -- 2 minutes.
    3 Add 2 can (14 oz each) of diced Italian-spiced tomatoes and their juice. (I stick-blend these to make more of a sauce) Stir in 2T capers and 1/2 cup chopped Kalamata olives -- may add additional green olives, if desired. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until thickened (5-10 minutes). Toss with pasta, season with coarse salt and ground pepper. Serve with salad, bread and butter.

Servings: 4

Nutrition Facts
    Nutrition (per serving): 354.2 calories; 22% calories from fat; 8.9g total fat; 5.1mg cholesterol; 1123.7mg sodium; 526.3mg potassium; 58.0g carbohydrates; 4.6g fiber; 10.3g sugar; 53.4g net carbs; 11.2g protein; 7.0 points.

Recipe Source
    Source: Debbie Fuller
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

I have to admit that I used anchovy paste instead of whole anchovies when I made this. I have no idea how the flavor of what I made might compare to the "real thing" but I thought it was delicious. I have never used whole anchovies; I just can't get around using something with eyes. I'm afraid they might look at me
    "When you are in love with someone you want to be near him all the time, except when you are out buying things and charging them to him." Miss Piggy

They don't have eyes... they are filets! You must be thinking of sardines, which are whole
    Kay

Gee, Kay, thanks <i'm really embarrassed> If you promise they won't stare at me maybe I will give them a try. Do you think they will taste different than anchovy paste?

Question

I don't mean to sound offensive, but anchovie paste is merely anchovies that have been mashed! How could they taste different?

Quote Originally Posted by ADM
    I don't mean to sound offensive, but anchovie paste is merely anchovies that have been mashed! How could they taste different?
    In the same way that jarred minced garlic or ginger doesn't taste the same as freshly peeled & minced garlic or ginger. Just one of those slight differences that makes a difference in some dishes and on some palates.

Unfortunately, my anchovies went down the garbage disposal a few nights ago, but I will keep the suggestions in mind for next time. We don't like olives (I know, I know ). How do you think puttanesca sauce would taste w/o them? I have never made it b/c the olives seem to be a key flavor component.
    -Amy

We don't like olives (I know, I know ). How do you think puttanesca sauce would taste w/o them? I have never made it b/c the olives seem to be a key flavor component.
    Actually, anchovy paste is not just mashed anchovies, but has several different ingredients in it...

I actually don't like olives, either, but somehow, if you mince, rather than chop the olives, the flavors all meld together, and what you taste is salty, with an indefinable layer that is the olives. It's an inexpensive meal -- try it once... if you don't like it, you don't have to make it again
    Kay

Glad I posted that. I learned something I didn't know. Thanks.