Community Message Boards

Thread: Quiche anyone?

Post Quiche anyone?

Does anyone know of any good quiche recipes? I have one for tuna but am looking for other variations that are lower in fat.Any suggestions would be great. Thanks-Kate

Hi,Kate!

This first one, you may have seen in CL's web site. Sounds good, so I thought I'd pass it along in case.

Caramelized-Onion, Spinach, and Bacon Quiche

1 (10-ounce) can refrigerated pizza crust
    Cooking spray
    1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained, and squeezed dry
    1/4 cup low-fat sour cream
    2 tablespoons minced shallots
    1 cup evaporated skim milk
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon pepper
    2 large egg whites
    1 large egg
    3/4 cup Caramelized Onions (about 3 cups uncooked)
    1/3 cup chopped Canadian bacon
    1/4 cup (1 ounce) shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese

Preheat oven to 350°.

Shape the dough into a 4-inch circle; cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Roll the dough into an 11-inch circle on a lightly floured surface. Fit the dough into a 9-inch pie plate coated with cooking spray, and flute.

Combine the spinach, sour cream, and shallots in a small bowl. Combine the evaporated milk, salt, pepper, egg whites, and egg in a medium bowl, and stir well with a whisk. Stir 1/3 cup milk mixture into spinach mixture. Spoon the spinach mixture into bottom of prepared crust. Add Caramelized Onions, and top with bacon and cheese. Pour the remaining milk mixture over cheese. Place pie plate on a baking sheet, and bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until set. Let quiche stand 10 minutes. Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 wedge).

CALORIES 261 (22% from fat); FAT 6.3g (sat 2.3g, mono 2.1g, poly 0.9g); PROTEIN 12.6g; CARB 35g; FIBER 2.7g; CHOL 50mg; IRON 1.5mg; SODIUM 607mg; CALC 244mg

This second one is thrown in without having tried it, more because I knew you were looking for something low in fat. In the past, I'd found Eating Well's recipes to be hit and miss-- some great, some not great. But, for what it's worth...

QUICHE LORRAINE LIGHT

Crust
    1 cup all-purpose white flour
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 tablespoon butter
    3 tablespoons vegetable oil, preferably canola oil
    1-2 tablespoons ice water

Filling
    2 large eggs
    4 large egg whites
    3/4 cup skim milk
    3/4 cup evaporated skim milk
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly gound black pepper
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
    pinch cayenne pepper
    1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
    1/2 cup shredded Gruyère cheese (about 1 1/2 oz)
    1/4 cup diced smoked ham (about 1 oz)
    1/4 cup chopped scallions (about 3 scallions)
    1 tablespoon freshly grated Parmesan cheese

To make crust: Set rack in the lower third of the oven; preheat to 425º F. In a medium-sized bowl, stir flour and salt together. In a small saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Cook for about 30 seconds, swirling the pan, or until the butter is a light, nutty brown. Pour into a small bowl and let cool. Stir in oil. Using a fork, slowly stir the butter-oil mixture into the flour mixture until it is crumbly. Gradually stir in enough ice water so that the dough will hold together. Press the dough into a flattened disk.

Place between two sheets of plastic wrap and roll into a circle about 12 inches in diameter. Remove the top sheet and invert the dough into a 9-inch pie plate. Remove the remaining wrap. Fold the edges under at the rim and crimp. (The crust can be prepared ahead and stored, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 2 days or in the freezer up to 1 month.)

Line the dough with a piece of foil or parchment paper large enough to lift out easily; fill evenly with pie weights or dried beans. Bake for 7 minutes. Remove paper and weights and bake for 3 to 5 minutes longer, or just until lightly browned. (The pastry will not be fully baked. ) Cool on a rack. Reduce oven temperature to 350º F.

To prepare filling: In a large bowl, whisk eggs and egg whites well. Add milk, evaporated milk, salt, pepper, nutmeg and cayenne, stirring gently to avoid creating too many bubbles.

To assemble and bake pie: Spread mustard over the bottom of the prebaked pie crust. Sprinkle with Gruyère, ham and scallions. Carefully pour in the custard mixture. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Transfer to a rack and let cool for 10 to 15 minutes before serving hot or warm.

Serves 8

202 CALORIES PER SERVING: 1 G PROTEIN, 10 G FAT, 16 G CARBOHYDRATE; 330 MG SODIUM; 67 MG CHOLESTEROL.

(From Eating Well's Recipe Rescue Cookbook)

Good luck!

[This message has been edited by Gail (edited 07-10-2000).]

Just wanted you to know that the first recipe Gail posted above really is great. I also recommend the Crustless Chicken-and-Broccoli Quiche, Oct ‘96 p100. Sorry, don't have it on the computer, but hopefully someone else will if you're interested.

Thought I'd go ahead and post the crustless quiche recipe, because it sounded so good.

Thanks, Marcie, for suggesting this.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Crustless Chicken-and-Broccoli Quiche

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Oct '96 Poultry

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    2 cups coarsely chopped broccoli florets
    Cooking spray
    2 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs
    3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon dried basil
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon pepper
    1 cup 1% low-fat milk
    1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
    1 (4-ounce) carton egg substitute
    1 1/2 cups chopped leftover roasted chicken
    1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded reduced-fat
    extra-sharp Cheddar cheese -- divided
    1/4 teaspoon paprika

Preheat oven to 350º.

Cook broccoli in boiling water 3 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain.

Coat a 9-inch pie plate with cooking spray; sprinkle with breadcrumbs. (Do not remove excess breadcrumbs.) Set aside.

Combine flour, basil, salt, and pepper in a large bowl; add milk and mustard; stir with a whisk. Stir in egg substitute. Add chicken and 1/4 cup cheese; stir well. Pour mixture into prepared pan. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and paprika. Bake at 350º for 45 minutes or until set. Let cool on a wire rack 15 minutes.

Source:
    "Cooking Light, October 1996, p.100"
    Copyright:
    "© Cooking Light"
    T(Baking Time):
    "0:45"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving: 157 Calories (kcal); 5g Total Fat; (29% calories from fat); 18g Protein; 9g Carbohydrate; 34mg Cholesterol; 289mg Sodium
    Food Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 2 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates

Nutr. Assoc. : 20011 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 4745 26495 0

Also -- if you find a good basic light recipe (the quiche lorraine above is a good one), you can certainly improvise and create your own delicious quiche creations.

Several of my favorites:
    (Add to basic egg/milk mixture )

Mediterranean quiche:
    1/2 cup feta cheese
    1/2 cup diced roma tomatoes
    1/4 cup chopped black olives

Summer roasted veggie quiche:
    1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
    1/2 small roasted red pepper, julienned
    1/2 small roasted zucchinni or summer squash, sliced or diced
    1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced

Spinach quiche:
    1/4 cup romano cheese
    1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
    1 pk frozen chopped spinach, thawed & drained
    1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced

[This message has been edited by lorilei (edited 07-11-2000).]

Hi Kate!

I tried three times last night to post this but had EXTREME technical difficulties. One more try...

I thought the Mushroom and Spinach Quiche in the Oat crust (June 2000) was very good. Unfortunately all of my favorite quiche recipes are not "light". However, I do reduce the fat by using egg substitute instead of regular eggs and have had some success by using evaporated skim milk instead of heavy cream. Otherwise, I just consider them a treat!

I do have a good crab and shrimp quiche recipe...it makes 2 quiches and freezes well. It definately is not "light", but if you are interested anyway I will post it here. Let me know.

Peggy

Thank you all so much for the ideas. I can't wait to try them. I was looking for something to make that we could eat off of for a week and my fiancee soes not like tuna so...Peggy, I would love your crab and shrimp quiche recipe if it's handy. There might be a way to lighten it up. Thanks again-Kate

Originally posted by Peggy:
    Hi Kate!

I tried three times last night to post this but had EXTREME technical difficulties. One more try...

I thought the Mushroom and Spinach Quiche in the Oat crust (June 2000) was very good. Unfortunately all of my favorite quiche recipes are not "light". However, I do reduce the fat by using egg substitute instead of regular eggs and have had some success by using evaporated skim milk instead of heavy cream. Otherwise, I just consider them a treat!

I do have a good crab and shrimp quiche recipe...it makes 2 quiches and freezes well. It definately is not "light", but if you are interested anyway I will post it here. Let me know.

Peggy

Cool

Kate, Here's the recipe you requested.

Seafood Quiche (Source - my grandmother)

1 pkg (#2) pie shells
    1 1/2 cup shrimp
    3/4 cup lump crab meat
    8 oz swiss cheese, grated
    1/2 cup celery
    1/2 cup green onions
    1 cup mayonnaise
    2 T flour
    2/3 cup dry white wine
    4 eggs, slightly beaten

Directions:

Combine shrimp, crab, swiss cheese, celery and green onions in a large bowl. Divide this mixture equally and place into each pie shell. Whisk together the mayonnaise, flour, wine and eggs. Divide this mixture equally and pour into filled pie shells.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes. If you want to freeze one of the quiches, do not bake it. Place it directly into the freezer. Cover it with foil after it is frozen. When ready to bake the frozen quiche, unwrap it and bake it frozen in a 350 degree oven for about 50 minutes.

I don't have any nutritional information on this recipe. As you can see it is packed with fat and calories, but it is SOOOO good.
    I have made it with egg substitute, but I've been afraid to touch the mayonnaise.

Peggy

* bump *

Bumping up for Christine -- in honor of Peggy's delicious recipe

I, too, am a quiche lover. Mollie Katzen has a "formula" for making quiche, which goes like this: crust + cheese + filling. Her book "Enchanted Broccoli Forest" has many suggestions for variations of this formula. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND the review and purchase of all of Mollie's cookbooks. They are so inspired and comforting to read and cook by. Mollie is just plain "great" in my opinion!

Here are the three of the crust recipes (she includes 8 in this book)...I'v entered them into mastercook. If I find that I've also entered her "formula" (and variations) I'll post that as well. But do yourself a HUGE favor and check out Mollie's books yourself! http://www.molliekatzen.com

Spinach Crust

Recipe By :Mollie Katzen
    Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:15
    Categories : Entrees Vegetarian

1 teaspoon olive oil -- for the pan
    2 Tbs. butter or canola oil
    3/4 lb. fresh spinach -- finely minced
    1/2 tsp salt
    3/4 cup unbleached white flour
    3/4 cup wheat germ or fine bread crumbs
    a few gratings - or dashes - of nutmeg

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly oil a 9- or 10-inch pie pan.

Melt the butter or heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the spinach and salt, and saute quickly over fairly high heat until the spinach is limp.

Remove from heat; add remaining ingredients and mix well.

Pat into the oiled pie pan. Use a fork at first, and then your fingers, to mold the crust. Prebake for 15 minutes - no need to cool before filling.

Description:
    "Great when used for quiche."
    Source:
    ""The Enchanted Broccoli Forest""
    Copyright:
    "1982, 1995 by Mollie Katzen"
    Yield:
    "1 9- or 10- inch crust"
    Start to Finish Time:
    "0:30"
    T(Bake):
    "0:15"

Per serving: 753 Calories (kcal); 74g Total Fat; (87% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 21g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 297mg Sodium
    Food Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 15 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates

NOTES : WW Points = 12 if using only 1 Tbs. oil instead of 2
    Nutr. Assoc. : 0 244 0 0 5738 20080 0

Golden Vegetable Crust

1 tsp. butter or oil for the pan
    2 cups yellow summer squash -- grated
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/2 cup grated carrot
    1/2 cup parsnip -- grated and peeled
    2 Tbs. olive oil or melted butter -- (plus extra to brush on top)
    1/3 cup unbleached white flour

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9- or 10-inch pie pan.

Place the grated squash in a colander in the sink. Sprinkle with the salt and let it stand 10 minutes. Squeeze out all excess moisture, and transfer to a medium-sized bowl.

Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Transfer to the pie pan, and sculpt an attractive crust with a fork (and possibly your fingers).

Bake for 40 minutes. Midway through the baking, brush with a little extra olive oil or melted butter. You don't need to cool it before filling.

Description:
    "Excellent when used as a crust for quiche!"
    Source:
    Copyright:
    Yield:
    "1 9- or 10-in. crust"
    Start to Finish Time:
    "0:55"
    T(Bake):
    "0:40"

Per serving: 814 Calories (kcal); 87g Total Fat; (94% calories from fat); 2g Protein; 10g Carbohydrate; 41mg Cholesterol; 339mg Sodium
    Food Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 17 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates

NOTES : "Special Guest Star: PARSNIP! This surprisingly sweet and mild vegetable is often underrated, if not overlooked altogether. Discover it here, and you might find yourself grating it into your salads as well."

WW Points = 14 if using 1 Tbs. olive oil instead of 2 Tbs.
    Nutr. Assoc. : 222 5179 0 0 0 986 5738

Mashed Potato Crust

1 teaspoon canola oil for the pan and the top of the
    crust
    2 large potatoes -- (the size of a healthy fist)
    1 Tbs. butter
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    fresh black pepper to taste
    1/2 cup minced onion

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Oil a 9- or 10-inch pie pan.

Scrub or peel the potatoes, cut them into chunks, and boil until soft. drain and transfer to a medium-sized bowl.

Add butter, salt, pepper, and onion, and mash well.

Using a spoon and/or rubber spatula, form a handsome crust with an even handsomer edge in the oiled pie pan.

Bake 45 minutes. Midway through the baking, lightly brush the entire surface with oil. It's not necessary to cool the crust before filling and rebaking.

Description:
    "Great for quiche!"
    Source:
    Copyright:
    Yield:
    "1 9- or 10-inch crust"
    Start to Finish Time:
    "1:00"
    T(Bake):
    "0:45"

Per serving: 179 Calories (kcal); 16g Total Fat; (79% calories from fat); 1g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 41mg Cholesterol; 337mg Sodium
    Food Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 3 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates

Nutr. Assoc. : 244 0 0 0 0 0

[This message has been edited by Deanna (edited 07-12-2000).]

I just checked to see if I had entered Mollie's "formula" into Mastercook, and I have not. Someday when I feel like typing I will enter it in. Until then, check Mollie's website and bulletin board, and my BEST suggestion is hit your favorite bookstore and browse through a couple of her books. You'll be hooked!

P.S. Moosewood Cookbook (by Mollie Katzen) has a recipe for Swiss Cheese and Mushroom Quiche. It sounds wonderful. If only I had someone here that would help eat all this stuff I love to cook...(cheeto is VERY picky.)