Community Message Boards
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: ceramic top stoves and cast iron

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    214

    ceramic top stoves and cast iron

    Hi all

    I bought a cast iron grill last year and got into the habit of using it fairly frequently, but have since bought a new ceramic top stove - can I still use it on the ceramic tob or is it verboten? Anyone know?

    I miss my grill!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Rochester NY area
    Posts
    2,625
    Have you checked your owners manual?

    My GE one says cast iron isn't recommended because it can scratch the top.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    7,945
    Le Creuset's website says that you can use it.

    The smooth enamelled base of Le Creuset cast iron cookware makes it ideally suited to modern glass topped hobs: ceramic, halogen and induction, and of course to gas, electric, solid fuel or Aga / Reyburn. If you change your cooking hob, you do not have to change your pans.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Un-American NY
    Posts
    8,610
    Quote Originally Posted by schuh
    Have you checked your owners manual?

    My GE one says cast iron isn't recommended because it can scratch the top.
    Ditto the Kenmore Elite. The model I recently bought included a two burner grill pan with a grooved raised bottom that can be used on it.

    Bob

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    24,224
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumbeaux
    Le Creuset's website says that you can use it.

    The smooth enamelled base of Le Creuset cast iron cookware
    So when did they start enamelling the base of Le Creuset pieces? Granted mine is 30 years old but I don't think I've ever seen a pieces that's actually enamelled on the entire bottom.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    In my heaven on earth
    Posts
    13,237
    My Le Creuset 5.5 qt round dutch oven is enameled on the bottom, its about 2 years old now.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    24,224
    Quote Originally Posted by Robyn1007
    My Le Creuset 5.5 qt round dutch oven is enameled on the bottom, its about 2 years old now.
    Wow! I had no idea they started doing that!
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Un-American NY
    Posts
    8,610
    I realize that it was Robert who posted about the Creuset, and everyone is following along, but Donna never said that was what she had, so I'm not sure where that came from. She said "cast iron," and my assumption was that it was just that, cast iron, like a Lodge, and if that's the case, it shouldn't be used on her cooktop.

    If it is a Creuset, well, then.....nevermind!

    Bob

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Manhattan
    Posts
    584
    For the past 1 1/2 years I have used a large Lodge cast iron pan on my Dacor solid surface cooktop without any problem.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Rochester NY area
    Posts
    2,625
    Quote Originally Posted by bobmark226
    She said "cast iron," and my assumption was that it was just that, cast iron, like a Lodge, and if that's the case, it shouldn't be used on her cooktop.
    That was my assumption as well.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ USA
    Posts
    2,299
    In our last house we had ceramic and I used my grill pan (lodge) - never noticed any scratches. I'm not sure why it would scratch - doesn't seem very rough and I just put it down on the burner, I'm not shaking it back and forth.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    24,224
    Quote Originally Posted by bobmark226
    I realize that it was Robert who posted about the Creuset, and everyone is following along, but Donna never said that was what she had, so I'm not sure where that came from. She said "cast iron," and my assumption was that it was just that, cast iron, like a Lodge, and if that's the case, it shouldn't be used on her cooktop.

    If it is a Creuset, well, then.....nevermind!

    Bob
    The reason I asked about the Le Creuset was that mine is not enameled on the bottom and in fact has a bit of a lip which would make it unusable on a ceramic cooktop! Seeing the quote from the Le Creuset site prompted my question...I never assumed anything about Donna's cookware being Le Creuest or Lodge or any other form of cast iron...
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Un-American NY
    Posts
    8,610
    Quote Originally Posted by sneezles
    The reason I asked about the Le Creuset was that mine is not enameled on the bottom and in fact has a bit of a lip which would make it unusable on a ceramic cooktop! Seeing the quote from the Le Creuset site prompted my question...I never assumed anything about Donna's cookware being Le Creuest or Lodge or any other form of cast iron...
    I understood that. Next time I will be sure to dot my i's and cross my t's and say, more properly, "some of you, not Susan."

    Bob, properly chastised

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    24,224
    Quote Originally Posted by bobmark226
    I understood that. Next time I will be sure to dot my i's and cross my t's and say, more properly, "some of you, not Susan."

    Bob, properly chastised
    Well, the only other response/post that mentions Le Creuset is from Robyn(as a direct response to my inquiry that questioned the recommendation of Le Creuset without any assumptions on the original poster) who explained that hers, in fact, is enamelled on the bottom. So who were you directing your post at?
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Un-American NY
    Posts
    8,610
    Quote Originally Posted by sneezles
    Well, the only other response/post that mentions Le Creuset is from Robyn(as a direct response to my inquiry that questioned the recommendation of Le Creuset without any assumptions on the original poster) who explained that hers, in fact, is enamelled on the bottom. So who were you directing your post at?

    Susan, drop it already. You made your point the first time.

    Bob

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •