This is kind of gross, but has anyone noticed pink mold growing in their coffee maker? If you've had your coffee maker for awhile and use it regularly, look closely in the part where you put the water--you'll likely see some mold growing in there. I've found it in my own coffee maker as well as in the ones I see in hotel rooms.
I try to control the problem by keeping the top open on the reservoir to let it air dry and also wiping it out with a paper towel. My old coffee maker didn't have a top on the reservoir--just a grid, so I couldn't get inside to dry it.
If anyone has any fool-proof methods on preventing this mold, I'd love to hear them. I clean the coffee maker with vinegar occasionally, but I'm not sure about the mold-killing abilities of vinegar.
Thanks for your help!
I think it's probably the same stuff you see sometimes in water fountains or other plumbing fixtures that stay damp and don't get cleaned well. I think it may be salmonella. Chlorine will kill it, any cleanser with bleach or a little bleach and water, but flush the unit thoroughly before you use it...To be safe on the chlorine, I would try to let it dry out at least overnight, a full day if possible. If you are an occessional coffee drinker, you might want to drain the resevoir by turning the unit upside down to dry out after using.
Veronica...thanks for alerting us on this. I am going to check my coffee maker tomorrow. I don't use it as much since I use the Italian espresso maker you place on the stove kind...but I believe making a solution with clorox and water and then rinsing well and drying upside down should take care of this....
I don't have this problem with my coffee maker that I use at least 2 times a day. But I can tell you that maybe a good cleaning with white vinegar at least once a week, considering the problem you are having, would be good. Just pour the vinegar and let it go through the brewing process. Repeat again and then process a pot of clear water to flush out.
Ooo...second thought...is this a problem with hard water? Hmmmmmm
Thanks so much for the info. How interesting that it's yeast! I guess that's better than mold?
I cleaned the coffee pot with white vinegar several times and wiped out the inside with a paper towel between brews. It looks pretty good . . . fortunately, I'm no longer "in the pink."
The pink stuff is really a yeast that grows in damp places. It is also found on shower curtains, shower stalls, etc. Since yeast thrive in an alkaline environment (the soap in showers) using an acid substance will kill it, so using vinegar is the right way to go. Be sure and rinse well, since I don't think vinegary coffee is something you want!
(A microbiologist in my other life)
Copyright © 2012
Time Inc. Lifestyle Group.
All Rights Reserved. Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our
Your California Privacy Rights).