Community Message Boards

Thread: Toddler/Preschool Moms Week of August 21

Toddler/Preschool Moms Week of August 21

Today's Brian's 3rd birthday! We had his tractor party on Saturday, it was so much fun. All the kids really enjoyed themselves, and I think it went well. The weather was humid but overcast, so at least we didn't roast in the sun. The farm gave us buckets of feed for the animals, which was a big hit with the kids. Then we went for a hayride around the farm. The kids also got to play on little pedal tractors and played in a tractor-shaped bounce house. It was all really great. We had it from 10 am to noon, I put out mini bagels and mini muffins, and almost all of them went. We had cake around 11:30. After cleaning up and packing up the car to go home, DH and I were completely, totally exhausted, then we realized it was only 12:30 in the afternoon and we still had the whole day to go! I talked to most of the moms the next day (only had 3 no-shows) and they all said their kids totally crashed on the way home from the farm. Brian, of course, didn't. Tonight I think we'll take him out for dinner and ice cream.

Hope everyone has a great week!

Lori
    "There are times when we're dirt broke, hungry, and freezing, and I ask myself, why the hell am I still living here? And then they call. And I remember." ~Mark, Rent

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BRIAN!

Lori - Sounds like a fun party!

Saturday Abigail went to her first dance class (ballet and tap). She had a great time watching. She didn't want to participate. She watched the whole thing, loved it, was able to replicate some of the same moves at home, talked about it non-stop, and said that she would participate next time! So I bought her the whole outfit and we'll hope for the best on Saturday. It helps that her best friend from school is in the class. I bought Nicole a tutu also so she wouldn't feel left out, but then they started fighting over the shoes. So now I have to go out and buy Nicole ballet shoes
    Albert Einstein reminded us all, "The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of those people who dont do anything about it."

Happy Birthday Brian!!

Sounds like a great party!! I'm still trying to figure out what to do for Caitlyn's in a couple weeks.

We had our block party this weekend. It was threatening rain all day, so I think it kind of kept everything low-key, which was fine. But, luckily it never did rain. The kids really had a good time, riding their bikes up and down the street. We told the kids they could stay out as long as they wanted. Poor Colin made it till about 10:30, sat down on my lap and was out. I brought him inside and he woke up. He told me he was just going to take a nap and come back out. So, he slept in his clothes. Never made it back out! Caitlyn was next about 11:00. We were all sitting right in front of our house, so I was able to come back outside. At about 1:00am I went in and Jameson and Ian were still out with DH! Sunday we were all outside again with the neighbors, cooking all of our leftover food.

Not much else going on...school starts next week The official end of summer.

Happy Birthday Brian!!! The party sounds like a lot of fun!

I was in my friend's wedding on Saturday while DH went to his 20th HS reunion. I took the kids with me. DH was all worried about who would watch the kids during the wedding ceremony. I said "they'll sit quietly by themselves." and they did. One of my friends asked what I threatened them with! I said "nothing- I just explained what they needed to do." And they did it. They danced ALL night at the reception. I have never seen them do that before. It was cute.

Last night, we went to the Pt. Pleasant boardwalk so the kids could go on some rides. We had dinner there, too. I was so surprised that they went on the little roller coaster by themselves. I was apprehensive, but DH said it'd be fine. They met the height requirement. Well, Brenden had such a happy look on his face! He LOVED it! It was hard to tell with Casey, who keeps a straight face on all rides. They went on another ride that's sort of like a free fall. It's for little kids so the drop isn't that big- it also goes up and then drops several times. I think the more mellow rides were boring for them after those 2!

When we got home, there was a message from our realtor that someone wants to come for a second showing at our house. DH thought these people would've made an offer last week, after the first showing. Anyway, their realtor told our realtor that they didn't like the oil heat (then convert to gas yourself!) and that "you should really lower the price." Nope- we lowered it once and we're done. Last week, they wanted to close in 6 weeks, now they're saying they'd like to close in 3 weeks!! Completely unreasonable. They haven't called to schedule a second showing yet and there's no offer on the table. I think all the hype about the buyers market is affecting these people. We're priced on the low end, especially for NJ. We're in a good position. Their realtor was fishing to see if we'd lower or compromise. We don't need them. Yes, we'd like to move, but we're not desperate so we don't have to take a low offer just to get out of here. But again- there's no contract or offer so there's really nothing to discuss with them yet. I'm just dreading dealing with a pool of arrogant buyers who think we're desperate.

Casey had her 3rd horseback riding lesson! Her instructor again told me how great she's doing and that she can do stuff that some of her 9 year old students can't do properly!! I'm in shock! I took a picture- have to put it on imagestation so I can post it here. Sometimes I have trouble doing that from work.

I am being bad today- going to the gym for a massage at 1:00!! I like the masseusse. She lives near me and she wants to move, too, so we talk about everything when I see her.
    Wouldn't you like to be a Susan, too?

Happy Birthday Brian! 3 sounds so grown-up to me! The party sounds like it was a lot of fun.

We are doing well here. We're getting geared up to go on our trip next week. I'm excited about that but am getting worried about the travel logistics. We are having dinner with some friends we have not seen for 6-7 years. I can't wait for that! They have never met either of our kids, and we haven't seen their older girls since they were Natalie and Colin's age,a nd they are 9 and 7 now. And, they have a 18month old, and she's pregnant.

Thanks for the discussion last week about extra curricular activities. I think we're just going to do swimming for now and maybe do soccer in the spring. I know Natalie would love it.

Joanne, I wanted to ask you about Colin's birthday party you posted about recently. You mentioned a build-a-bear type of thing that was done at your house? Could I get some information about that? I think that would be fun to do for Natalie's birthday.

Susan, hopefully if you get an offer on your house, it will be reasonable and you can negotiate the terms. Good luck! And enjoy your massage!
    “When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed
    door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.”

Helen Keller (1880–1968)

Susan, getting a massage is not bad! You deserve it! It'll relieve some of the house selling stress!

Lara, that will be fun to see our old friends. Where is it again that you are going? This is the company I used for Colin's birthday party: http://www.noahsarkworkshop.com. You'd have to find out if there is a consultant in your area. I'm thinking about becoming a consultant. Everyone thought it was a great idea at Colin's party. I found out about it because they did it at Caitlyn's day camp.

Joanne, we are staying in St. Charles but the wedding is in Wheaton.

Thanks for the info on the party. I think that sounds like it would be fun.
    “When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed
    door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.”

Helen Keller (1880–1968)

The family never came back to see the house last night, but they called to say they're coming tonight between 6:30 and 7:00 (I hate that time frame!). Oddly enough, our realtor got a call from the woman with the 2 boys who saw our house at the end of June. She's still waiting for an offer on her own house, but she has a very interested buyer. Her realtor thinks they may be getting an offer- maybe this week! It'd be nice to get 2 offers in. DH and I agree that if we get an offer from the family tonight, we're going to sit on it for a few days. they need to know we're not desperate and I also want to give the other woman some time to see if she'll make an offer. I don't want to be there for the showing. DH is working late and he said it'd be good if I was there so they could see the whole basement and not worry about Dallas. I told him I don't want to be there because they are trying to negotiate details already (price and closing date) when they haven't even put an offer in writing! So frustrating.

I think we're going to a birthday party for one of Brenden's friends this Sunday. It's this little boisterous (sp?) girl. She's too funny. She and Brenden are in different classrooms now, but they still see each other during the day. The two of them were always fighting like an old married couple, but they just love each other. It's too funny. She told him one day that he'd never have McDonald's chocolate milk again. I have no idea why she was telling him that, but they were having a debate about it when I showed up to pick up the kids.

Well, I'm going back to my lunch. I bought Kashi frozen meals since they were on sale and I had a coupon. I'm pretty impressed with them.

Susan - How frustrating for you!! The nerve of some people - it's like the rules of common courtesy don't apply to these people!!!!

It's been pretty slow on these board this week - even I'm able to keep up

So Abigail had a temper tantrum this morning. the makes 2 in the last 3 weeks! That's so not normal. Abigail and Nicole take turns opening the garage door (I lift them and they press the button). Normally, Abigail remembers when her day is and has no problem with Nicole doing it. This morning it was Nicole's turn and Abigail had a melt down. Seh kept repeating, for about 10 minutes, that she NEVER gets to do it, and that Nicole always does it! Then, when I was getting her in the car, she wanted juice. We couldn't find a sippy cup, so we put it in a regular cup. She didnt' want that. So I drove her to school without juice. The whole way there (only like 5 minutes) she alternated crying about the juice, the garage door and the fact that I yelled at her. At school, she decided that she didn't want to go in. I asked if someone was hurting her feelings - she said yes, that I was That's my daughter - already starting in with the guilt

Of course, when Abigail gets like this, Nicole is always just super calm, watching the whole thing and looking at Abigail like she's crazy.

I hope this doesn't set off another wave in our group - since all of our kids tend to act out at the same time!
    Albert Einstein reminded us all, "The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of those people who dont do anything about it."

Happy belated birthday to Brian!!! Sounds like the party was wonderful.

And, happy birthday Joanne!!! (I saw the HB thread over on Other Stuff).

Susan, glad to see you're getting some movement on the house, but sorry the potential buyers are being PIAs.

Julia, can't tell you how many times Victor has informed me that I'm "making him feel bad." If I'm scolding him for something, he'll say, "I don't like it when you talk to me that way. It makes me feel bad." That kind of talk comes directly from day-care -- they're taught to say things like that when other kids are bothering them. I also wish they'd spend some time at day-care talking about the importance of listening to what mommies and daddies tell them. Or maybe they do and he just ignores it.

Anyway, sorry you're having a hard time with the tantrums -- it sounds like Abigail is perhaps on the cusp of a developmental milestone, whether physical or mental.

Have to share this Victor story: for his birthday, one of his friends gave him a box of Superman "school supplies" -- pencils, erasers, a little lined notebook, etc. So he's been sitting down every night recently, and telling us that he's doing his "homework" -- and then he writes lines and lines of random letters in the notebook.

Last night, he gets in bed. Our routine at this point is that he's allowed to listen to a CD at very low volume after I tuck him in, and play with a "quiet toy" in bed if he's not sleepy, but he has to stay in bed. It works about 50% of the time. DH and I eventually went to sleep, but I woke up a little later (about 11:30?) and heard the CD was still playing in Victor's room. I go in to see what's up, and he's still awake, and he's sitting there in bed, with his notebook and pencils, writing away. I ask him what he's doing, and he replies (sounding very annoyed at being interrupted): "I have lists to make!"

He's doing well at his new school. I signed him up this morning for the fall session of swimming lessons. We have a birthday pool party this weekend for my friend's son -- it's at a local Y. I'm sure he's going to want DH or I to go in the water with him. My friend said the Y encourages parents to accompany their kids in the pool at parties for young kids, even though there are also lifeguards on duty.

Helene
    "We reject as false the choice between our safety and our ideals. Our founding fathers, faced with perils we can scarcely imagine, drafted a charter to assure the rule of law and the rights of man, a charter expanded by the blood of generations. Those ideals still light the world, and we will not give them up for expedience's sake."
    --President Barack Obama, 1/20/09

Thanks for the birthday wishes, Helene. It's going to be a pretty low-key birthday. Last night before DH was going to work we are looking at the calendar for today to see what's going on. He says "Caitlyn has gymnastics and Jameson has soccer. Oh, and it's my mother's birthday - we'll take her out to breakfast." I'm like, um, no, it's my birthday. I had written "mom's birthday" on the calendar. His mother's birthday was last month and we took her out to breafast then. So, needless to say, I don't think there are any big plans in the works! Although, I did order myself a new mp3 player on amazon today for my birthday.

Helene, that is hilarious about Victor and his "lists." Caitlyn pretends like she is doing homework, too. She'll write a bunch of letters and say they are her name. I'll write her name for her and she'll defiantly tell me that's not her name, what she wrote is her name. I figure that's a battle I'll let her teacher fight! She recognizes her name in writing, so I know she knows that the letters she's making aren't the right ones, she's just being stubborn!

Susan, even though it sounds like the buyers are being a pain, hopefully, it means the house will be sold soon. Then you'll never have to deal with them/it again!

Julia, oh, yeah, I get that "you're making me feel bad, etc. mommy guilt-trip thing, too!" I've also heard "you're so mean". It's funny, when Colin is upset with me he will call me "mother" instead of "mom." He has started to argue more with Caitlyn, saying she has more juice in her cup, she took his seat, or why does she get to do something, etc. It's the sibling rivalry thing, I guess. You're lucky that Nicole just watches and doesn't join in the tantrum, sometimes they can be contagious!

Joanne, your DH's response to your birthday is too funny! I can certainly sympathize with you- although my DH does remember the day we met (November 2, 1996) and he will remind me of it each year. Which reminds me- our 7th anniversary is coming up next month!

Helene, that's so funny about Victor's lists! Casey likes to make shopping lists. She's actually pretty good at it. I can tell her how to spell things that we need and she writes them down. It's great when we're in the car on the way to the store and I remember something I need to buy- but I didn't put on the list!

Julia, my kids do that- they'll say "I NEVER get to do ____ !!" Especially when I tell them to let the dogs out or in. I get to the point where I tell them that I don't care who does it, it just needs to be done.

Another Happy Belated B-day wish for Brian!

Happy Birthday Joanne, enjoy your day!

Helene - I agree w/ the teachers enforcing good listening skills, seems like Ella listens to them but not me :mad:. Too cute about Victor and his lists! Ella got some stationary and pencils for her b-day and now she has so much "homework" too do .

Julia - You and I had the same morning, I feel your pain! I hope your evening goes better.

Susan - I hope you get the 2 offers and you can get moving, literally! Some people have no respect for others time.

Lori - No wonder you & DH were exhausted by 12:30, that was quite a morning! Did you go for dinner and ice cream?

Ella had another bad morning with a tantrum about not getting gum since she wasn't being a good listener. Then she started saying how she didn't want to go to daycare again...I felt awful leaving her. I might try to spend some 1 on 1 time w/ her tonight if we can manage to get out of the house. I sent an email to her "teachers" just to check in and make sure there isn't anything going on there w/ another kid, etc. I don't like trying to talk to them in front of Ella or the other kids.

This weekend is Summerfest. DH & I are running the 10K Sat morning, then we'll hit the parade, take the kids to moms so we can hit the Beer Tent Sat night. Sunday is the duck race fundraiser for the library and we'll have to stop to get a corn dog & elephant ear !

Sarah

Delurking to say to Sarah...

I hate HATE you! (Ok, just jealous)

I can't believe you are running a 10K this weekend. Joey was born the same week as Owen and I am not even back to the gym yet!!! (I'll go back next week when I return to work).

You go, girl.

Terri

Happy Birthday Joanne! I was going to post this morning...but the day got away from me.
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOANNE!!

I hope your family did remember and do something nice for youafter all.

Thanks for the birthday wishes. DH did get the cake I requested , which was a Portillo's chocolate cake . We had a few neighbors over and sent pieces home, so there's none left, which is good, I don't need anymore!

Sarah, I can't believe you are running a 10K either! Good for you!