Community Message Boards

Thread: Looking for some light banana muffin recipes

Looking for some light banana muffin recipes

I have some bananas that are just screaming out to be used and I am thinking of making some muffins (might help with portion control )

If anyone has any good recipes I would love to see them.

I usually make the CL Marbled Chocolate Banana Bread (one of my all time favorites) as a bread or muffins, but no chocolate chips on hand. I did check the main CL search and only one banana muffin recipe came up but I didn't have all the ingredients needed.

I'm looking for a light recipe (but if you have an awesome recipe that isn't light feel free to include too).

Thanks so much!

My nephews love this recipe. When in a rush I use B Crocker frosting.
    I will try to type a muffin recipe soon for you.
    Banana Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting

For the best frosting, make sure the cream cheese is chilled. If the frosting is too thin, place it in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or until spreadable. Store frosted cupcakes in the refrigerator.

Cupcakes:
    3/4 cup granulated sugar, divided
    1/2 cup mashed ripe banana
    1/4 cup butter or stick margarine, softened
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    2 large eggs
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    1/4 cup plain fat-free yogurt

Frosting:
    1 3/4 cups powdered sugar
    1/2 cup (4 ounces) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, chilled
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
    2 tablespoons finely chopped walnuts, toasted

Preheat oven to 350°.
    To prepare cupcakes, combine 1/4 cup granulated sugar and banana; set aside. Beat 1/2 cup granulated sugar, butter, and 1 teaspoon vanilla at medium speed of a mixer until well-blended (about 3 minutes). Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add banana mixture to sugar mixture, beating well. Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg in a bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Add flour mixture to sugar mixture alternately with yogurt, beginning and ending with flour mixture; mix after each addition.

Spoon batter into 12 muffin cups lined with paper liners. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.

To prepare the frosting, beat the powdered sugar, chilled cream cheese, and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla at medium speed of a mixer just until blended (do not overbeat). Spread frosting over cupcakes, and sprinkle with toasted walnuts.

Yield: 1 dozen (serving size: 1 cupcake)

CALORIES 247(28% from fat); FAT 7.8g (sat 4.2g,mono 2.3g,poly 0.9g); PROTEIN 3.8g; CHOLESTEROL 54mg; CALCIUM 25mg; SODIUM 193mg; FIBER 0.6g; IRON 0.7mg; CARBOHYDRATE 41g
    Cooking Light, SEPTEMBER 1999

I always make Mom's Banana Bread into muffins. I just made a double batch on Sunday.

Mom's Banana Bread

My mom's recipe was the model for this banana bread. The new version is liked so much we make it all the time--at least every two weeks. I think the miniloaves would be a perfect holiday gift.

1 cup sugar
    1/4 cup light butter, softened
    1 2/3 cups mashed ripe banana (about 3 bananas)
    1/4 cup skim milk
    1/4 cup low-fat sour cream
    2 large egg whites
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    Cooking spray

Preheat oven to 350°.
    Combine sugar and butter in a bowl; beat at medium speed of a mixer until well-blended. Add banana, milk, sour cream, and egg whites; beat well, and set aside.

Combine flour, baking soda, and salt; stir well. Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture, beating until blended.

Spoon batter into 4 (5 x 2 1/2-inch) miniature loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in pans 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pans. Let cool completely on wire racks.

Note: To make one 9-inch loaf, spoon batter into a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray; bake at 350º for 1 hour and 10 minutes. Yield: 1 loaf, 20 servings (serving size: 1 slice).

Yield: 4 loaves, 4 servings per loaf (serving size: 1 slice)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
    CALORIES 147(14% from fat); FAT 2.2g (sat 1.4g,mono 0.2g,poly 0.1g); PROTEIN 2.5g; CHOLESTEROL 7mg; CALCIUM 13mg; SODIUM 180mg; FIBER 1.1g; IRON 0.8mg; CARBOHYDRATE 30.2g

Cooking Light, NOVEMBER 1996

This is one of my favorite recipes for Banana Muffins. Make sure you do not overcook them. They call for optional chocolate chips but I dont usually add them unless I have them on hand (which is a dangerous thing so I just dont keep them around)

Banana-Bran Muffins

2 large eggs
    2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
    1 cup mashed ripe bananas (2 medium)
    1 cup buttermilk (see Tip)
    1 cup unprocessed wheat bran (see Ingredient note)
    1/4 cup canola oil
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1 cup whole-wheat flour
    3/4 cup all-purpose flour
    1 1/2 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
    1/2 cup chocolate chips (optional)
    1/3 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray.2. Whisk eggs and brown sugar in a medium bowl until smooth. Whisk in bananas, buttermilk, bran, oil and vanilla.3. Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a large bowl. Add the wet ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula just until the dry ingredients are moistened. Stir in chocolate chips, if using. Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin cups (they'll be quite full). Sprinkle with walnuts, if using.4. Bake the muffins until the tops are golden brown and spring back when touched lightly, 15 to 25 minutes. Loosen edges and turn muffins out onto a wire rack to cool slightly before serving.

Servings: 12

Recipe Source
    Source: Eating Well Winter 2004

Unprocessed wheat bran is the outer layer of the wheat kernel, removed during milling. Also known as miller's bran, it can be found in the baking section. Do not substitute bran cereal in this recipe.Tip: You can use buttermilk powder in place of fresh buttermilk. Or make “sour milk”: mix 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar to 1 cup milk.
    Life is Good

Bumping this back up since I made the Banana Cupcakes for my office and they were met with rave reviews. I used half whole wheat flour and omitted the nuts. Our CEO is in the office for 2 days (I didn't know he was going to be here) and ate 4 of them! Someone else told me they were the best cupcake he's ever had. Thanks Vanessa for posting!

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

Robyn,

Thanks for bumping it back up. I did try the Mom's Banana Bread -- and have made it as muffins and bread. Loved it! What took me so long for trying that.

Thanks again. I have some bananas ripening..... time for me to try the others.

I made this older CL muffin recipe last week for the first time and we liked them.

Peggy

Sugar Spot Banana Muffins

Those tiny brown spots on ripe bananas are called sugar spots; fruits that have them make the sweetest muffins. Vegetable oil makes these muffins tender and keeps them from becoming dry.

2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
    1/4 cup vegetable oil
    1 large egg
    1 large egg white
    3/4 cup mashed ripe banana
    1/3 cup fat-free milk
    1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour (6 ounces)
    2/3 cup honey-crunch wheat germ
    1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon baking soda
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    Cooking spray

Preheat oven to 350°.
    Combine first 4 ingredients in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended. Add banana and milk; beat well.

Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, wheat germ, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Add to sugar mixture; beat just until moist.

Spoon batter evenly into 12 muffin cups coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 22 minutes or until muffins spring back when touched lightly in center. Cool in pan 5 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pan. Place muffins on wire rack.

Yield: 12 servings (serving size: 1 muffin)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
    CALORIES 183(28% from fat); FAT 5.7g (sat 0.9g,mono 1.3g,poly 3.1g); PROTEIN 4.3g; CHOLESTEROL 18mg; CALCIUM 61mg; SODIUM 155mg; FIBER 1.4g; IRON 1.6mg; CARBOHYDRATE 30g

Elizabeth J. Taliaferro
    Cooking Light, MAY 2002
    To take the first step in faith, you don't have to see the whole staircase: just take the first step. - Dr. Martin Luther King