Community Message Boards

Thread: Chicken Poblano Casserole-CL-9/06

Chicken Poblano Casserole-CL-9/06

What!-A meal with not a clove of garlic!! This was another excellent dish from CL. There were alot of steps, but it was worth it. You can do some of it ahead, or for that matter, it would probably be alright to put the whole thing together ahead and refrigerate until ready to cook. This will probably be my "go-to" dish for when we have a crowd around here. It fills the baking dish to the rim.

I also made the Tomatillo Salsa to go with the casserole and it was surprising good (also-no garlic). When I make them again I will add garlic. I really don't know why I didn't notice that when I was putting them together We also had the Watermelon-Mango Salad which was a great salad to serve with this casserole. It was simple and nothing to rave about, but went perfect with our meal.

Thanks for the review Terry, this recipe caught my eye as well. You mentioned you would add garlic, was that to the casserole or the salsa, or both? Thanks for the review. I may have to whip this up this weekend.
    Ashley

The instant we become an adult is the moment when the instinct to love is greater than the desire to be loved

Both the casserole and the salsa

Ooh - good! That's the recipe from this issue I'm most excited to try!

Thanks Terry -

Thanks for bringing this one to my attention. I have a family member that is allergic to garlic that I occasionally need to cook for so I'll stash this one away for those times.

What! No garlic! And to think, I marked this recipe to make!

Actually, thanks for the review, Terry. I do plan to make this, but to cook it on the grill rather than the oven.

I made this for dinner last night and it was a winner for us too. I would add garlic and some cumin next time to the ricotta filling mixture. The sauce was really, really good--very smoky and rich-tasting. I used DH's homemade corn tortillas too. The roasted corn flavor and cilantro came through very nicely as well.

Lots of steps, but nothing complex. Definitely a great dish for a potluck or for having people over. I had leftovers for lunch today and I think it was even better.

We had this last night for dinner and thought it was great! There are pleny of steps involved, but nothing not worth making this. I also served it with the Tomatillo Salsa - and added a couple cloves of garlic to both the casserole and the salsa. Portion sizes were large and this could easily be a hit at a gathering. BUT, since I'm some what of a heat junky - maybe next time I'd throw in a chipotle or a jalapeno or two.

I made this tonight, and we really liked it. I've made recipes with poblano peppers that turned out to be really spicy, but this wasn't spicy at all. In fact, my only complaint about it was that it needed a little more spice to it. I agree with fairie28 that garlic and cumin would be good additions. Some jalapeño with the ricotta mixture would probably be good too. This recipe makes a ton. I think we'll be eating this for days!

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph
    What! No garlic! And to think, I marked this recipe to make!

Actually, thanks for the review, Terry. I do plan to make this, but to cook it on the grill rather than the oven.

How will you cook this on the grill? I'm very curious, because cooked over a charcoal fire I'm sure would add lots of flavor. Just stick the dish/pan on the grill grate?

Quote Originally Posted by rburganmckinley
    How will you cook this on the grill? I'm very curious, because cooked over a charcoal fire I'm sure would add lots of flavor. Just stick the dish/pan on the grill grate?
    I've cooked lots of casserole-like dishes on the grill. Use a grill-safe or disposable pan (I use the disposable foil pans) and cook it over indirect heat. The ingredients I've used for all the recipes I've made are most always ready to eat (i.e. no raw chicken), so the time on the grill isn't that big an issue. I just usually leave it on there as long as the recipe says to cook it in the oven.

The recipes that have a sauce of some sort come out just as creamy or thick as I'd expect from the oven.