Community Message Boards

Thread: Discussion for walkers too!!!

Cool Discussion for walkers too!!!

Any walkers out there? I LOVE to walk, just dont like to say I do. Runners always think I will be going at a turtle pace and will be getting no real exercise when I say I am a walker...truth is I am a FITNESS walker and get a GREAT workout without hurting my joints! Have any of you walkers out there experienced this? I usually say I am going jogging, just to avoid the "knowing" looks about my fitness level.

Lets stand together and show the world we ARE exercising

Kim

Thumbs up

Hi Kim!
    Good idea! I just wanted to post and give my support. I ve occasionally heard other runners comment about walkers that they are (quote) only walking. How ridiculous!! When I led a Team in Training 10k/6.2 mile walk this past summer I found it harder than running the same distance. You can t convince me that walking is not true exercise. I walk a lot and love it too. It s not only (quote) REAL exercise, but also a wonderful way to experience a neighbourhood, to contemplate the joys and challenges of life, or to enjoy the companionship of a spouse, friend or dog! [Okay, that ends the sappy comments for today ... promise!]
    Anyway, you go, girl!! Hope this thread takes off

[This message has been edited by Natasha (edited 11-15-2000).]

Cool

YEA NATASHA!!!!!

Good for you (10K) I want to do something like that, not to race, but to do it, but I always get cold feet. WHat was your team in training for?

Kim

Hi Kim,

No need to get cold feet - I m sure you could work up to 10k/6.2 miles quite quickly! Go for it.

You asked what the 10k/6.2 mile walk was for, and now you re going to get the long, LONG answer ... sorry!

I am a member of the Leukemia Society Team in Training program. What the program does is train people at all fitness levels to run - or WALK - a marathon or half marathon or do another sporting event, such as a cycling event. At the same time, the participants raise funds for leukemia and lymphoma research. The LSA trains you, plans your trip to the race, and so on. And your trip may even be paid for!!

Anyway, it is an awesome cause. You can run in honor or in memory of someone you know or knew with leukemia/lymphoma. If you don t know anyone in particular with one of those diseases, it s common to still do the event for all patients of these diseases, or for a specific patient that you meet. A lot of people like to meet up with a child with leukemia, for example, and do the event in honor of him or her. There are so many touching stories out there, both happy and sad, and every time the team gets together for Inspiration Sessions we end up crying and raring to go. What more motivation could you need to exercise than knowing that you re helping find a cure for cancer?

Anyway, long-winded response to answer the simple question. The committee was looking for people to lead Team in Training weekly long walks for team members, and I volunteered the week they were doing 6.2 miles (I didn t want to do the week that they did 20 miles!!!) So it was a training walk, but I still found it tough.
    If you re interested in finding out more about Team in Training, just contact the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society near you or look at one of the full-page ads you see in various magazines these days. You can also visit http://www.teamintraining.org .

Keep on moving!

[Oops - I promised no more sappy comments tonight and I think a couple might have snuck in here ... sorry. .]

[This message has been edited by Natasha (edited 11-15-2000).]

Kim,

I'm a WALKER and proud of it!!

I have been fitness walking for years and that combined with WW lost 20 lbs. I've never had the stamina to run, I just don't enjoy it. I can do a 90 minute step aerobics class without batting an eye, but run, no way. I usually do a 3 mile loop 4-6 times a week, but when one particular friend walks with me we've been known to walk 5-6 miles without even realizing it. It's a good time to catch up! Anyway, awaiting others responses to this walking thread as well!

Ann

P.S. Natasha, I applaud you for all your work with the team in training program, I've never heard of it, but think I'll look into it! Thanks

Count me in as another proud walker! I've been 20-50 pounds overweight at various times of my life and have always found walking to be the most comfortable exercise. The few times I've tried to run (OK, jog!) I get all winded and I feel like my flab is just bouncing all over the place...too jarring for me. I like to think that I will have less lower body joint problems in my later years since I walk instead of run

Smile

Yea! I am so glad to know there are other walkers out there!

Natasha, I have heard of Team in Training! Great cause!

Walkers of the world UNITE!!!!

I've been getting into walking and really enjoy it. I live in Miami Beach so in the summer I don't do it much outside (too hot & humid). But last Spring I had been putting on the pounds and started some serious walking & lost 7 lbs. Now that it's cooling off again, I'm out there trying to lose another 5. Walking outside is so much more enjoyable than on a treadmill at the gym & I find myself really looking forward to doing it. I tried running part of the time but I really don't like it either and I'm not convinced that it's any more advantageous than walking. No ruined knees or black toe nails for me!

I LOVE walking. Well, I did in San Diego where the weather was great and I had a great view to walk around. Now, in the 'burbs in virginia... booooorrrrriiiinnnnggg!!! And it's cold (to me).

I agree completely, walkers are exercising. The best shape I have ever been in, was walking with a friend. Runners can have their bad knees and sneer at us if they want. We'll have the last laugh.

Walkers' Forum!!!!

[This message has been edited by BevP (edited 11-16-2000).]

Smile

I'm a walker, too. Aside from the health benefits of walking, I use the time to mull over problems, projects, etc. There must be something about the rhythmic movement that's conducive to thinking. . .I often find myself craving a nice, long walk when I have something heavy on my mind, and usually come home with the problem solved or with the motivation to complete my project. Paula

Smile

I wasn't a walker before this year. I signed up in January to participate in the Avon Breast Cancer 3 Day. It is a walk that covers 60 miles over 3 days to raise money for breast health programs all across the country. The walk was October 27-29th. Needless to say, I put in a lot of miles to train for it, and I now really enjoy walking. Although I haven't walked for exercise since then because of really bad blisters that are still healing .

Since no walkmans were allowed on the walk, I didn't train using one. I agree with Paula. I found that while I'm walking is one of the few times I have all day where I am in complete control of my thoughts without the interruption of other things like the telephone, doorbell, radio, etc. It's my time to really think, and not just react.

I can't wait to walk a couple miles! Hopefully this week my feet will improve enough to head out!

~Krista

[This message has been edited by KristaMB (edited 11-19-2000).]

Krista

WOW! I am dying to do something like that! Did you do it with friends, or by yourself?

Kim

Kim,

I did the walk with a childhood friend. She lives about an hour and half from me, so a lot of the training was done alone. We got together for some long weekend walks about twice a month. The walk itself had about 3,100 participants. If you want more information on the walk that I did, go to www.breastcancer3day.org.

It was a great experience, even though on the last day of 22.5 miles we walked in an unseasonable downpour. The hardest part for me was raising the money, as opposed to the walk. Granted, I did have some major problems with blisters despite having double layered socks, moleskin and two pairs of shoes. But in terms of muscle soreness, that was worked out in the training walks.

It really was a life changing event. When I first signed up, I didn't even think I would really make it. I proved to myself I could do it, and helped saved lives in the process.

Go for it, Kim! If you decide to do it, let me know. I'll help you out with some fundraising!

~Krista