Community Message Boards

Thread: ISO Bread recipe to use for Monte Cristo sandwiches

Question ISO Bread recipe to use for Monte Cristo sandwiches

I'm making my first ever Monte Cristos this next week and would like to make them with homemade bread. Does anyone have a suggestion or can you recommend a particular type of bread to use? Maybe a sweet hawaiian bread or ?? Thanks

What recipe are you using for the Monte Cristos? I would not use sweet Hawaiian bread. When I make them, I just use a sturdy white, like sourdough.
    Everyone needs to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. . .

Yeah, I think due to the frying process you would want a sturdier bread and I don't like mine to be overly sweet (the powdered sugar and jelly are enough). I really like the idea of sourdough!

The recipe I'm using calls for baking the sandwiches instead of frying them. Sourdough does sound delish and I have starter. I think I will do that. Thanks for the suggestions

Hmm..I just read a post here using Challah with the baked version of Monte Cristo. I have some in my freezer so I think I'll do that. I don't mind taking a few days to make sourdough but I really want to free up some freezer storage.

Quote Originally Posted by AZJane
    The recipe I'm using calls for baking the sandwiches instead of frying them.

We love Monte Cristos! Can you please post your recipe? The one I use calls for frying and I'd love to see one that is baked. TIA!!

ETA: For the heck of it I googled and I found this one that actually sounds pretty good although I would serve with syrup and probably use a spicy mustard.

Mock Monte Cristos

6 slices frozen French toast
    2 tablespoons honey mustard
    3 ounces sliced cooked turkey breast
    3 ounces sliced cooked ham
    3 ounces thinly sliced Swiss cheese

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degree F. Lightly grease a baking sheet; set aside.

To assemble sandwiches, spread 1 side of each of the frozen French toast slices with honey mustard. Layer half of the toast slices, mustard sides up, with the turkey, ham, and cheese. Cover with remaining toast slices, mustard sides down.

Place sandwiches on prepared baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until sandwiches are heated through, turning sandwiches over once. Cut each sandwich in half diagonally
    Everyone needs to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. . .

Here's the recipe I'm going to use in post 2
    http://community.cookinglight.com/sh...t=Monte+Cristo