Community Message Boards

Thread: Do you have to pre-cook jumbo shells for stuffed shells?

Question Do you have to pre-cook jumbo shells for stuffed shells?

I no longer pre-cook my lasagna noodles but does the same hold true with shells? Have any of you made stuffed shells without pre-cooking the shells and gotten a favorable result? Oh, I'm making CL's Stuffed Shells with teh Smokey Marinara sauce if it makes a difference.

Many thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by CHRIST1NE
    I no longer pre-cook my lasagna noodles but does the same hold true with shells? Have any of you made stuffed shells without pre-cooking the shells and gotten a favorable result? Oh, I'm making CL's Stuffed Shells with teh Smokey Marinara sauce if it makes a difference.

Many thanks!
    If it's the Four Cheese stuffed-shells with smoky Marinara, you do cook the shells first.

Thanks, my water just came to a boil...

I always just par cook them. Think they stuff easier/less likely to break and after baking the pasta still has some texture.
    A well rounded person is perfectly pointless. - Carrie

Quote Originally Posted by DeeK
    If it's the Four Cheese stuffed-shells with smoky Marinara, you do cook the shells first.
    The recipe may call for pre-cooking, but I think she was asking if anyone has successfully made a stuffed shell recipe without cooking the shells first (like lasagna). I too also never pre-cook any lasagna noodles, regardless.

ETA: Hi Carrie!
    Everyone needs to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. . .

I have always pre-cooked jumbo shells before stuffing them. However, I will be very interested in seeing if anyone has been successful at usine them not pre-cooked. Anything to save some time...

Peggy
    To take the first step in faith, you don't have to see the whole staircase: just take the first step. - Dr. Martin Luther King

Quote Originally Posted by PAMMELA

ETA: Hi Carrie!

Hi Pam in Texas now

A quick update.... the shells were amazing and I par cooked them as Curiosity Hears suggested. I used all fresh herbs and filled them with a pastry bag so they looked pretty. Instead of making 2x 9x13 pans fulls I made 3 x 8x8 pans and froze 2. I was so looking forward to the leftovers tonight only to find the dish from last night still on the counter when I got up this morning Grrrrr I hate it when I do that.

I usually pre-cook mine, but there was a CL recipe last year for manicotti that had you add a cup of water before baking uncooked shells. That may work with the shells if someone felt like fiddling around with it. Here's the manicotti recipe.

Oh and I really hate it when I forget to stash something in the fridge. That happens a lot to me with stocks, I'll leave them out to cool down, and wake up in the morning only to toss them. I hate that.

Easy Meatless Manicotti
    From CL

2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
    1 (16-ounce) carton fat-free cottage cheese
    1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained, and squeezed dry
    1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
    1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1 (8-ounce) package manicotti (14 shells)
    1 (26-ounce) jar fat-free tomato-basil pasta sauce
    Cooking spray
    1 cup water

Preheat oven to 375.
    Combine 1 1/2 cups mozzarella, cottage cheese, and the next 5 ingredients (through black pepper) in a medium bowl. Spoon about 3 tablespoons cheese mixture into each uncooked manicotti. Pour half of tomato-basil pasta sauce into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange stuffed shells in a single layer over sauce, and top with the remaining sauce. Pour 1 cup water into dish. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella evenly over sauce. Cover tightly with foil. Bake at 375 for 1 hour or until shells are tender. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

Yield: 7 servings (serving size: 2 manicotti)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
    CALORIES 328(25% from fat); FAT 9g (sat 4.8g,mono 2.2g,poly 0.5g); PROTEIN 23.8g; CHOLESTEROL 23mg; CALCIUM 451mg; SODIUM 891mg; FIBER 3.9g; IRON 3mg; CARBOHYDRATE 38.3g

Catherine Salzman
    Cooking Light, MAY 2005
    Merry: I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
    Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

I'm food bloggin' almost daily at Tummy Treasure!

I don't think it would really work to not cook the shells first ~ it seems to me like they almost stretch when you cook them, making it easier to fit more filling in. I could be wrong though, would love to hear if anyone has success with it.
    Understand, when you eat meat, that something did die. You have an obligation to value it - not just the sirloin but also all those wonderful tough little bits.
    Anthony Bourdain

Quote Originally Posted by CHRIST1NE
    A quick update.... the shells were amazing and I par cooked them as Curiosity Hears suggested. I used all fresh herbs and filled them with a pastry bag so they looked pretty. Instead of making 2x 9x13 pans fulls I made 3 x 8x8 pans and froze 2. I was so looking forward to the leftovers tonight only to find the dish from last night still on the counter when I got up this morning Grrrrr I hate it when I do that.

Glad you had success. Thanks for the big smile. My great Aunt Carmella taught me that trick years ago and it works beautifully every time.

Enjoy the holiday!

I make a sausage-stuffed manicotti and I don't cook the manicotti first, FWIW. There is some extra water added to the sauce, as in the other recipe posted.

Shells are so thick, and the shape might play more of a factor than with manicotti. I like to cook them just under al dente, so I know they'll have just the right amount of crispiness as they peek out from the sauce on top. If anyone does try them uncooked, I too will be glad to know how it works, but I'm not going to be trying it anytime soon. Then again, I still cook lasagna noodles....