Community Message Boards

Thread: Review: EW Chocolate Cake & Hershey Chocolatetown Cake

Review: EW Chocolate Cake & Hershey Chocolatetown Cake

I am a bit of a perfectionist so I thought I would test out Marc's birthday cake before I made it for his birthday this weekend. I started with the EW chocolate cake...the only modification was that I used two 9" round baking pans instead of the bundt pan as the recipe calls for and I reduced baking time to 30 min. I was a little disappointed with the final result...I was expecting something more based on others' reviews on this board. There was a deep chocolate flavor but, how do I explain this, it was muted. It was moist though and I liked that. Despite others' reviews I thought the cake tasted low-fat and this was unacceptable for DH's birthday cake! DH eats anything and he said he only liked the icing (my mom's recipe – will post tomorrow)! lol...that's when I knew I had to try something else. On my mom’s advice, I next tried Hershey’s Chocolatetown Special Cake with my mom’s icing again….what a difference…of course, it isn’t as low fat as the EW recipe but you only have one birthday a year so I said “what the heck”…it was moist with a deep chocolate flavour…perfect! The only modifications was I added 2 tsp of instant coffee powder (dissolved in the same amount of water) to the batter and instead of shortening I used the same amount of butter and I added an extra tsp of vanilla extract.

EatingWell's Died-and-Went-to-Heaven Chocolate Cake

This foolproof cake is one of our most popular recipes. Dutch-process cocoa is preferred here for its deep chocolate flavor.

Cake
    1 3/4 cups all-purpose white flour
    1 cup white sugar
    3/4 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
    1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
    1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 1/4 cups buttermilk
    1 cup packed light brown sugar
    2 large eggs, lightly beaten
    1/4 cup canola oil
    2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
    1 cup hot strong black coffee

Icing
    1 cup confectioners' sugar
    1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
    1-2 tablespoons buttermilk or low-fat milk

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly oil a 12-cup Bundt pan or coat it with nonstick cooking spray. Dust the pan with flour, invert and shake out the excess.
    2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, white sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add buttermilk, brown sugar, eggs, oil and vanilla; beat with an electric mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes. Whisk in hot coffee until completely incorporated. (The batter will be quite thin.)
    3. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool the cake in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes; remove from the pan and let cool completely.
    4. To make icing: In a small bowl, whisk together confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough of the buttermilk or milk to make a thick but pourable icing. Set the cake on a serving plate and drizzle the icing over the top.

Per serving: 222 calories; 4 g fat (1 g saturated); 27 mg cholesterol; 43 g carbohydrate; 3 g protein; 2 g fiber; 274 mg sodium.
    3 Carbohydrate Servings

Chocolatetown Special Cake
    Ingredients:
    1/2 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa or HERSHEY'S SPECIAL DARK Cocoa
    1/2 cup boiling water
    2/3 cup shortening
    1-3/4 cups sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    2 eggs
    2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
    1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1-1/3 cups buttermilk or sour milk*
    Directions:
    1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans.

2. Stir together cocoa and water in small bowl until smooth. Beat shortening, sugar and vanilla in large bowl until fluffy. Add eggs; beat well. Stir together flour, baking soda and salt; add to shortening mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating until well blended. Add cocoa mixture; beat well. Pour batter into prepared pans.

3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Frost. 8 to 10 servings.

* To Sour Milk: Use 4 teaspoons white vinegar plus milk to equal 1-1/3 cups.

Thanks for the recipe and I would love to get your mom's icing recipe when you have a chance. Can't wait to try the cake and icing.
    Helene

''In cooking, as in all the arts, simplicity is the sign of perfection.''
    -Curnonsky

My Blog: La Cuisine d'Helene

Twitter: @lacuisinehelene

no prob...I forgot all about the icing...I will post monday definitely...erin

hey what's the weather like in NS right now...I'm going to Halifax (actually Arichat on Isle Madame to be exact) in 2 weeks for the weekend and it would be good to know!

Choc cake

You are not alone, Erin. I also try (always )a recipe before to make sure it suits a special occasion. However, it has happened to me that the first time was better!!! What happened??
    About the cake you posted, I remember to have tried a recipe for a chocolate cake posted in this board not too long ago. The recipe (very similar from the Eating Well; sorry, but I do not find the link!!) instructions said to add boiling water. The results were terrible for me, I simply think this doesn´t work because the cakes end like a pudding or something like that. Moreover, if you review the recipe, there is too much liquid in it.
    If you want a great cake (it is bundt, however) try the halloween chocolate cake from Hersheys. I tried it many time and we all find it is very good. I haven´t used the icing that goes with it, just dulce de leche or ganache.
    And how about this? The frosting sounds very good:
    http://www.hersheys.com/recipes/reci...eyword=heaven#

Weather is really nice, usually at this time of the year it's sunny and warm.

I've been here 2 yrs and enjoy it.

Will wait for your icing recipe
    Helene

''In cooking, as in all the arts, simplicity is the sign of perfection.''
    -Curnonsky

My Blog: La Cuisine d'Helene

Twitter: @lacuisinehelene

In my family, the Hershey's cake is called "Uncle Bill's Chocolate Cake" since he always made it for special occasions, with peanut butter icing.
    It is my all time favorite.

I only learned within the last year that it was a Hershey's recipe. I was a little skeptical when I saw the boiling water, but it turned out great for me too.