Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Introducing a New Discussion Forum for Runners

Hybrid View

Talking Introducing a New Discussion Forum for Runners

Okay, here it is - a thread where runners and people interested in running (or starting to run) can talk about anything related to RUNNING!! I don t want this to be intimidating to anyone; this thread is not intended only for people who already run or race. Anyone interested in running to any extent whatsoever is more than welcome!

I won t ramble at this point (hard as THAT may be to believe, knowing me) - suffice it to say that I love running and that it s a very important part of my life.

Look forward to hearing from you! Happy trails

Natasha

[This message has been edited by Natasha (edited 11-10-2000).]

I very excited about this thread. My runnning career is so sporadic. I don't believe I am a natural runner. I have never run more than a 9 minute mile for any extended period of time and it seems like it takes awhile to build up my endurance.

I am currently running 3 miles comfortably at a 10 minute mile pace. For those of you who are runners, should I build up my endurance 1st (I would like to run 4 miles 3x a week and be able to do a longer run (6-8) miles on the weekend) and then work on speed or vice versa or a combination of the two)

I also am interested in what you serious runners suggest for running gear (not shoes) during colder weather. specifically I am interested in what type of wind breakers you use.

Sorry for so many questions. I really do love the way I feel after a run even though I am often dying during it!

[This message has been edited by Laura (edited 11-11-2000).]

I sure don't qualify as a "runner" but a few weeks ago I started adding jogs and sprints to my treadmill workouts. It's starting to feel a little more natural to me. Anyone run on a treadmill? I'd like to hear your tips and feedback on what speed you use, routines, type of shoes, etc.

Smile

Laura,

I m glad you responded!

I am currently running 3 miles comfortably at a 10 minute mile pace. For those of you who are runners, should I build up my endurance 1st (I would like to run 4 miles 3x a week and be able to do a longer run (6-8) miles on the weekend) and then work on speed or vice versa or a combination of the two)
    I would definitely build up endurance first. My first coach used to say that you can look at training like building a house. I have also heard many others use this kind of approach in their training and coaching. You first have a base period where you concentrate on building up endurance and get your cardiovascular system working efficiently. This is like the foundation of a house. Then you start adding a bit of strength training, in the form of hill training (once a week or so), while still adding slowly to your base. This is analogous to putting up the walls of the house. Once you have done that for at least several weeks, you can start with a bit of speedwork (once a week or less, starting with very little and moving up). Speedwork is like building the roof of the house. In other words, you can t build walls or a roof unless you already have a foundation. If you start speedwork without having a solid foundation, it is very easy to get injured and/or burned out. I learned that the hard way! Ouch! Ahem - I guess you can see that I didn t always listen to my coach. Silly girl!

I also am interested in what you serious runners suggest for running gear (not shoes) during colder weather. specifically I am interested in what type of wind breakers you use.
    I have a terrific windbreaker that I picked up at my local running store. It is long in back and short in front and has zippers all the way down the sleeves and down the sides so you can open it up when you start warming up. It is a bright color and has reflective strips, which are essential in winter since it s dark so much of the time! I also have a couple of other running jackets, but this is my favorite. Just seeing it can make me want to go for a run.

Sorry for so many questions. I really do love the way I feel after a run even though I am often dying during it!
    Please don t be sorry! That s what this thread is all about - learning from each other and keeping each other motivated and having fun! Keep us posted. Are you still thinking triathlon?

[This message has been edited by Natasha (edited 11-12-2000).]

Thumbs up

Originally posted by Pat58:
    I sure don't qualify as a "runner" but a few weeks ago I started adding jogs and sprints to my treadmill workouts. It's starting to feel a little more natural to me. Anyone run on a treadmill? I'd like to hear your tips and feedback on what speed you use, routines, type of shoes, etc.
    Pat,
    Good stuff! And yes, you DO qualify as a runner What inspired you to start, by the way? I think getting started is the hardest thing of all.
    Yes, I run on a treadmill when I don t feel like facing the elements or want to see my buddies at the gym. Also, because it is such a controlled setting, it allows me to really concentrate on running, and to pay attention to form and breathing.
    As for speed, it depends. Sometimes my treadmill runs are slow and easy, and other times I will crank up the speed. Because the surface is level - unless I use the incline feature, of course - and because there are no externalities (hills, wind in my face, etc.) I can concentrate on getting my legs moving as quickly as possible (well, within limits). Then I can take what I ve learned outdoors when I m ready for it.
    As for routines, another thing I like to use the treadmill for is interval training. For example, I might run at a nice and easy pace for a few minutes, then go at a much quicker pace for 2-3 minutes, then back down for another few minutes, and so on. This is an effective but very demanding form of speedwork. You can also interval train by alternating brisk walking with jogging/running, which sounds like what you re doing now.
    You can also vary your routine by adding hills every so often, with the incline feature.
    I use the same type of shoes that I use for outdoor running - I have a couple pairs. I have heard that treadmill running doesn t wear down your shoes as fast as outdoor running, which seems to make sense.

Good luck, Pat!! Let us know how it goes.

[This message has been edited by Natasha (edited 11-11-2000).]

Natasha

I am sure I will do a triathlon this summer. If nothing else I will go back to Jackson to do the one there. My goal was to be able to do an olympic distance triathlon before I turn 40 (2 years) but everyone who does those are so serious. I wish the Danskin triathlon was a longer distance. I am easily intimidated by others. I really think I would like to try and run a 1/2 marathon first and am looking to the Spring/summer to do one.
    Many ambitions I know. I am hoping that this group will keep me motivated. BTW, what brand is your windbreaker that you love?

Well,
    I had so much advice to give, but gosh, Natasha, I think you covered about every bit of training advice I had!

Um, sorry I can't give very good windbreaker suggestions...I live in Atlanta. Even in N.C. it didn't get that cold; the coldest temp I usually ran in was around 20 degrees. I would typically wear a synthetic mid-weight long-underwear shirt (I like my ones from Patagonia) and microfleeces on top. (And earmuffs and gloves and leggings because 20 degrees is still cold)

Laura, when you do get ready for speed workouts, there are plenty of types you can do other than intervals (which are either a blast or a pain in the butt, depending on what kind of mood you're in), so I'd be glad to describe some workouts for you.

And, once again , I must agree with Natasha on treadmill as a great place to do speedwork. It's a great way (and fun, too) to crank up the speed at intervals because you can easily regulate how fast you're going.

Last but not least, I have to share my great news: I qualified for Boston today! I ran 3:25:26 in the Chickamauga Battlefield Marathon. Needless to say, I'm very excited and know which race I'll be running in April. By the way, do any veteran marathoners have any advice for running marathons close together? I have another one scheduled for Dec. 3 (not sure how sound that decision was ) and I'm not sure how to balance it out. I got some feedback from a Runner's World editor, but I trust ya'll's (gosh that sounds southern) advice, and wondered what you thought. Anyway, this was very long winded, my apologies. I'm really glad this thread got started!

[This message has been edited by emilycat (edited 11-11-2000).]

Laura,
    Good luck with your triathlon(s) and half marathon! How long is the Danskin triathlon, anyway?
    My windbreaker is 100% nylon - micro supplex - and made in USA. I think that it is Columbia brand (?), but will let you know for sure. I hope to go to the running store very soon, so I can check and make sure while I m there. And I ll try to resist the urge to pick up another jacket in another color (I think they come in 7-8 colors.)!

And Emily,
    Congratulations again! You not only qualified for Boston, but did it by a country mile!
    Interval training a pain?! Never!

As soon as I wake up a little I m going for my long run, which in actual fact has not been very long lately . It looks like ideal weather for a good run!

[This message has been edited by Natasha (edited 11-12-2000).]

Emily that is awesome that you qualified for Boston. Way to go!

Natasha - I think the Danskin is similar to the triathlon I did before. 1/2 mile swim, 12 mile bike and 5k run. They are great distances. Actually I think the one I did was a 1/4 mile swim, 9 mile bike and 5 k. It is a nice friendly distance. I finished in 1:11 so it wasn't too difficult.

I'm a runner! I want to play too! I started running my first year in college, about 7 years ago. I had been pretty active all though high school, but when I went to college I just stopped. Well, there was a nice morning in the spring semester and I just up and decided I was going to run a mile no matter how long it took me. I have been running ever since.

I run about 3 miles a couple of times of week. I also play soccer and it is hard to do both so I haven't been able to add mileage like I wanted. My goal is to run a marathon in a year. You long distance runners, how do you figure out where you are going to run for 10-15 miles? DO you just run for a certain amount of time or figure out mileage before hand? Do you bring water along with you on your run? What time of day does everyone run? I usually do morning on the weekends and evenings (after dark, terrible, I know!) on weekdays.

Perhaps my biggest problem with running is kind of embarassing so bear with me. After about 2 miles, I really really really have to go to the bathroom. Usually, this is why I end up stopping. I have seen this problem address in only 1 running book and not very well. Does anyone else have this problem or is it just me? I have tried playing with my diet and the time I run, but it didn't really help. I guess I will just have to make sure there is a bathroom along my route.

Ok, I think I rambled on quite a bit so if you can answer at least one of my questions, we are doing good!

I bought a windbreaker for $10 at gear.com. I am going to scotch guard it so it is waterproof one of these days.

Originally posted by Kerri:
    I'm a runner! I want to play too!
    All right! Welcome to our humble group!

My goal is to run a marathon in a year.
    Good to hear it! Any specific race in mind?

You long distance runners, how do you figure out where you are going to run for 10-15 miles? DO you just run for a certain amount of time or figure out mileage before hand? Do you bring water along with you on your run?
    For long runs, I figure out where I'm going to run ahead of time, or let others figure it out for me because I often do my long runs with a group. For shorter runs, I sometimes run based on how much time I have, though I have a rough idea of how long particular routes are. I like to know approximately how far I go.

What time of day does everyone run? I usually do morning on the weekends and evenings (after dark, terrible, I know!) on weekdays.
    I'm all over the map on this one. My best runs are usually early evening or late morning, but I run at all times of day. It depends on the rest of my schedule for the day, the length of the run, the weather, and so on.

Perhaps my biggest problem with running is kind of embarassing so bear with me. After about 2 miles, I really really really have to go to the bathroom. Usually, this is why I end up stopping. I have seen this problem address in only 1 running book and not very well. Does anyone else have this problem or is it just me? I have tried playing with my diet and the time I run, but it didn't really help. I guess I will just have to make sure there is a bathroom along my route.
    I have heard of others with this problem, but can't think of anything useful to tell you right now. I'm sure someone else here will, though, and I will let you know what I find.

Keep on running and stay in touch!

Kerri,
    I, too, started running my first year of college...I had been a dancer before, and that took up almost every day of the week, so I started running. I got hooked right away; the farther and faster I ran, the more I wanted to run, and once I started running races, I just wanted to set more and more goals for myself; there are so many kinds of races out there, in terms of distance and terrain, that there's always something new! Right now, it's a marathon in every state...48 to go...oh,well, I'm young...

Anyway, as you can see, I prefer to ramble before I decide to answer questions.
    For training runs, I know what my average pace is, so I just run for the amount of time it would take me to do a certain distance. For example, I run about an 8:15 pace on normal days, so an hour is about 7 miles. When I'm doing long runs, I go out and clock the distance, or in most cases, I do my long runs at the Chattahoochee, where there's a 3-mile loop and a 5-mile out and back drive, so I just run around there for a while.
    Once you know what your average pace is, (except for speedwork), it's sometimes easier to go for time rather than distance. The last four years, I ran for distance, because I knew Chapel Hill like the back of my hand. In the neighborhood I run in now, though, it's just easier to watch the clock.
    Sorry, this may have been more info than you wanted; I tend to be able to go on for hours about running!

Glad this thread got going! As a very new runner, I am interested in every aspect of it. First, I want to make my intentions clear so that I have my goals out in public!!! I started running because I watched my sister, at 41, finish the Chicago Marathon last month. It was her first marathon, and she trained for it in 6 months(to make it even more amazing she is somewhat recently widowed with 3 kids). It was great motivation for me to get started, and she is very encouraging. My goal is the Marine Marathon in DC in October if we can get in, if not, Chicago. So, here I am, not even running for 30 minutes straight yet, with a pretty lofty goal. I have a great training plan, and am sticking to it religiously so far.

Shoes- My sister gave my great advise for shoes... find a store that specializes in running shoes and makes you run in them before selling them to you. Everyone has different feet and styles of running and it is very important to get shoes that match those factors. Before doing this she had problems with her hips. Once she got the right shoes, the problems went away.

Outdoor gear/jackets- Still learning in this area (but necessary as I am in Missouri). I bought a terrific Asics windbreaker and a long sleeved shirt to go underneath. I have had it out in the rain once... not totally waterproof, but close enough for me. I have had it out in 30 degree weather several times and combined with the Ascis shirt, it works great. I have been totally comfortable in the wind, and cold.

Emily- Major congratulations on qualifying for Boston!!!!! I am totally proud of you! What a great accomplishment!

Time of day- During the week, I usually run during lunch (I work out of my home) and on weekends I run first thing in the morning. I ran once in the dark and got scared very quickly. I live in a rural area and there was no one around except me and a guy in a truck. If I ever run in the dark again, I plan to take pepper spray with me. Runner's World's "Complete Book of Running" is a great resource, and also talks a lot about safety. It says many of the reports of sexual assaults on female runners occur at 6:00 pm. So... to everyone out there, be careful!

Gina,
    First of all, congratulations on starting a running program! You'll love it so much (if you don't already ). Running is so great for your mind, body and soul, and the goals just keep you going, and going (like the Energizer bunny...okay, bad joke ).
    Thanks for your compliments on Boston...I'm very exicted and happy about it, too.
    I wouldn't call your goal to run a marathon next October too lofty...that's a long way off, and you can accomplish a great deal in 11 months. One way to get ready, though, over that time, is to race longer and longer distances. Work up from a 5k, to a 10k, to a 10 miler, to a half-marathon, and so-forth. It's a little difficult (and a big shame, too) that there aren't that many "in-between" distance races out there, that is, between the half-marathon and the marathon. I love having 25, 30ks and 20 milers to do, but there just aren't that many races of those distances. If you find one in your area, though, while you're training, jump at the chance...racing is great practice!

Also, I can't say enough about Runner's World..(they should use me as a spokesperson ) I never ran in highschool, and truthfully, most of the things I know about running, which is a significant amount, I like to think, I learned from that magazine. And of course, my own experience, which is invaluable. If you haven't flipped through a couple issues already, I would definitely recommend it...it's such a wonderful publication.
    Anyway, sorry to ramble...enjoy your running!
    Em

Talking

Yeah hoo runners!! I'm a runner too...currently deciding if I should go for a run in this icky rain! Or if I should bake a cake!! I too LOVE Runners World, it's my Bible! I love Nike Structure Triax and am starting to use New Balance. Running is so wonderful, so relaxing, now I must go! Are we going to have our own board, or just work from this one? P.S. For training, GU is really tasty! P.S.S. I'm from Mass...so I'll see you at Boston!

Gina and Star,

Welcome aboard! And Gina, thanks for your suggestion. It was thanks to you (and Emily) that this thread got going!

Hey everyone, if a Virtual Supper Club works (and indeed it does work well - fun stuff so far!!), why not a Virtual Group Run? We'll pick a time that works for everyone, go for our runs, and imagine everyone else doing their run at the same time Yes, I AM kidding...I think!!

[This message has been edited by Natasha (edited 11-14-2000).]

Star,
    Are you running Boston? I'm so excited; I've heard it's such a spectacle.

I am rather new to running-I started in the spring. After years of walking, I needed a boost-my body had gotten used to walking and needed a kick.
    I usually run about 3-4 miles 3-4 times a week. I am not a natural runner and that is about all I care to do. I enjoy it when I am done, and it is helping with toning.

Kerri-I too have the same stomach problem after about 2 miles as well! I have heard this referred to as runners stomach. It is quite annoying and so far I have not found a solution.

I am running in my first 5k on Thanksgiving! I figure that will be a nice way to kick off the day!

Kerri and Lisa,
    Are you guys referring to runner's trots?
    Yeah, that is kind of an icky topic; I've experienced this a few times, but usually when I'm on my period, or towards the end of a long run. If you'd like more info on it, or how to try to solve the problem, you can do a search on www.runnersworld.com and several articles will come up. Hope this helps!

Em- Thanks for the encouragement. I have been looking into races to sign up for, the first is over Thanksgiving (2 miles). I am looking for a 5K to do around the 1st of the year, but having trouble finding one. In Feb. I want to do a 10K in Kansas City that is run completely underground in a serious of caves that were used during prohibition. It is supposed to be a really neat race. After that, maybe a 1/2 marathon sometime over the summer.

I bought my first issue of Runner's World and read it cover to cover last night. I had a little trouble finding it, so will probably just get a subscription.

I mentioned safety in my first post on this thread... does anyone else worry about that, or am I being overly paranoid (that would not be uncommon)? Gina

Gina,
    I completely agree with you on the safety issue. I scold anyone I know for running at night by themselves; it's essentially inviting something bad to happen. Last year, when I was still in school, there was an unusually large amount of sexual assaults on and around campus...and that's Chapel Hill! Every time I saw girls running by themselves at night, I couldn't believe how irresponsible they were being to themselves.
    It really is, unfortunately, a serious issue, and if you do insist on running at night, seriously consider finding a running buddy to go with you, and/or buy some pepper spray. Maybe nothing will ever happen, but if it does, you'll be glad you were prepared.
    Take care, everyone!

Hi!
    I'm new here, but wanted to jump in.
    I've recently gotten serious about running, after jogging unseriously off and on for about 10 years. I want to train for a marathon, possibly in December 2001. I run 3 times a week, 4-5 miles two times, and a long run on the weekend. I'm up to eight miles on long runs.
    I'm running my first 10K on Thursday. My goal is to finish in less than an hour, but really I just want to finish.

Thumbs up

Susie,

Welcome!

Lisa, Gina and Susie - looks like you all have races coming up very soon. Good luck to everyone and please let us know what happens. Gina, what a wonderful story about your sister. Hearty congratulations to her! I have met and seen so many inspirational people through running; their stories just blow me away.

About running at night or in less-busy times: yes, I worry too though it makes me so mad to have to worry. Sometimes I would have preferred to run on my own but can t, or have to cancel a run, because of the safety issue. Grrr...but what can you do?

Star - What kind of NB shoes are you using now? BTW, I think for now we will probably just use this board.

Everyone, keep running and smiling! Talk to you all soon. I am contemplating heading out for a series of hill repeats - and am looking forward to it big time!!

Just a spot of venting - bear with me:

Anyone else sick of almost getting hit by cars (or maybe getting hit by them)? I do some of my running in a suburban and urban environment and last Sunday almost got hit twice - in 20 minutes. I was just getting over stewing over the first one when the second one happened. Oh, the trials and tribulations ... I don't know why it is so hard to look both ways before you pull out of a driveway or make a turn. I always make sure to look at the driver's face and to try to make eye contact so they know I'm there - but sometimes I swear they've looked in my direction and seen me, but then they almost hit me and look stunned!! Another advantage to group runs, I guess...

Anyone else had this joyful experience?

[This message has been edited by Natasha (edited 11-16-2000).]

I started running over the summer to train for a triathlon, which I finished last Sunday. Yea. I notice when I am finished running that my face is very red, does anyone have this problem and how can I prevent it? I am running about 3 miles 3-4 times a week. It still takes a bit of effort which may be the problem, but it looks really bad for about 45mins. I am not particularly fair, I tan easily and have dark brown hair. Any suggestions out there?

Thumbs up

Originally posted by BernK:
    [B]I started running over the summer to train for a triathlon, which I finished last Sunday. Yea. [B]
    Bern,

Congratulations!!! So how did the triathlon go? Was it as fun as you'd hoped? Will you be doing another one?

Natasha (the Question Girl)

Red face

Originally posted by Laura:
    Natasha
    BTW, what brand is your windbreaker that you love?
    Hi Laura,

I still don t know the brand of windbreaker (I should never have thrown away that label!) but it seems that you can get something like it by ordering on-line or by phone. Don t know if you want to go to that much trouble for a jacket - I doubt it - but if you are interested let me know and I can send you the details. Hope your running is going well.

Cheers!

[This message has been edited by Natasha (edited 11-16-2000).]

Hello my lovely runners! Sorry it's taken so long for me to reply, I'm in college and the work load has been unreal lately! Anyways, Emilycat, I am not running Boston this year, haven't trained, but I will definitely be cheering! For New Balance, I suggest the higher numbers, Runner's World just did a review on a pair in the 900's..I am going to try those or the new Nike Air Structure Triax. Like I said before, I really like these. The souls form into your feet, not flat like some other types. I also have narrow feet, so am very picky about my shoes. Ok. Hope all is well with you all...let me know on any new shoes, or running info any of you have! P.S. I live in Mass, anyone near there? Keep running...p.s. my email name is Joyfeet...wonder why?!

I've been reading these posts, although I am not much of a runner. I was a competitive swimmer in college, and still swim Masters. I've actually SWUM a 10 K race, but have never run one. I tried a triathlon a few years ago, but to me the swimming portion is much too short compared to the other parts. But I wanted to respond because, Star, I saw from your profile that you live in Topsfield. I live in Hamilton - the next town over! Did you know that there is a New Balance outlet in Lowell? They have a good selection.

-Susan

Smile

Hello! I am new here to this forum and also to running.

I have been running for the past couple of months and I absolutely love it! I also thank you for posting this forum. I am hoping that it will give me the motivation I need on those days when I really do not feel like going out there!

I do have a question for you all. I have noticed that when I run, I often get a sensation in my knees...it feel like they need to "pop" but they never do. Does that sound familiar to anyone? My knees also seem to creek whenever I am going up stairs. I don't know if anyone else has experienced this, but I would interested to know if anyone had any ideas or suggestions as to what I should do. Giving up running is definitely not an option! I just love it the way it makes me feel!

Thanks again for starting this!