Community Message Boards
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Introducing a New Discussion Forum for Runners

Christine,
    Welcome and congratulations for starting running. I m glad you enjoy it too. I couldn t agree more with what Emily said. When you first start running your muscles aren t necessarily used to being moved and worked in the way that running moves and works them. I know that sentence is not very coherent; it s been a long week. Once you ve been running for a while, your muscles get more familiarized with what running involves. So strengthening exercises are a great idea! Of course, I still get lazy about them, but have to get better about it.

There was a quick and handy guide to various strengthening exercises in the Feb. 2000 issue of Runners World. If you can possibly find an old copy at your library or a used bookstore, I would recommend picking it up. I believe that the article with the exercises was designed primarily for people who already have injuries, but they re also worth doing as a preventive measure. If you can t find the magazine and are interested, I can mail or fax you the few pages with the exercises. Otherwise, you can find good moves in any issue of Runners World or in reliable books and websites.

Keep in touch!

[This message has been edited by Natasha (edited 11-17-2000).]

ChristineK,
    Welcome to the board, and to this topic! So glad you started running...isn't it great?

I've had some knee problems before (iliotibial band syndrome) but nothing like what you've described. It could just be that the muscles around your knees aren't strong enough, and you should do some strength training for your quads and hamstrings (which every runner should do anyway). If I were you, I would e-mail Runner's World for advice. They're fairly prompt with feedback and are typically offer very well-informed advice. Just send the same description you posted here, and send it to rwedit@rodale.com Hope you find some answers!
    Emily

[This message has been edited by emilycat (edited 11-17-2000).]

ChristineK-I agree with everything others have said and have one more suggestion. Make absolutely sure you have the correct shoes for your running style and foot shape. I have read a bunch of articles on this and talked to several runners and they all agree. Go to a store that will not sell you shoes unless they watch you run in them first (and take your old shoes it, the wear will show them lots). It may make a big difference. Gina

Originally posted by Natasha:
    Bern,

Congratulations!!! So how did the triathlon go? Was it as fun as you'd hoped? Will you be doing another one?

Natasha (the Question Girl)
    Natasha, it went a lot better than I was expecting. It was just a small field, 28 people, but that suited me just fine.The swim was fine, the bike was great I picked up several places unfortunatly I lost them all on the run. I couldn't run the 5k I had to walk some of it. Oh well better luck next time. I know now what I need to improve on particulary the running and speed in my swim. It was an 800m swim, 20k bike and 5k run. I finished in 1hr 49 mins. I would definitly do another one. There are a couple more coming up in April & May so I have something to aim for. I find they are great motivation to keep exercising. We are moving back to the states next summer so i am looking forward to a summer of races. I would highly recommend a triathlon to anyone looking to get in shape or just looking for a new challange.

Cool

Bern,
    Thanks for the response. Sounds like a good race!
    Triathlons are gaining popularity at an astonishing rate, aren t they? I know quite a few people who have started off with a very small tri (shorter distances than you or Laura did) and have ended up getting hooked - going on to half Ironmans or even Ironmans. I myself would like to try a triathlon someday; it looks like fun and makes so much sense from a training standpoint because the cross-training reduces your chance of injury. Maybe next year! So many plans, so little time ...

Thank you all for your messages & suggestions! I was trying to think back to when I bought my last pair of shoes and I think it has been a while. Do you have any suggestions as to brands or just go with whatever feels best.

Natasha, I have not yet looked into that issue of Runners World, but I will see if I can find that. I have been doing some strength training, but I haven't been real faithful with it! Hopefully I can get myself into a routine soon!

Thanks again all!

Christine

Having a hard time getting motivated to run today.... it is cold and extremely windy. The last time I ran on a really windy day my cheeks got very cold. Any suggestions for that problem? Gina

Cool

Hi Christine,
    Couldn't agree more with Gina's advice about buying shoes from a store that encourages you to try out different kinds and where someone looks at how you run (and at an old pair of shoes) to determine what is best for you. My store encourages people to take them out for a (short) test run as well as just jogging around the store.
    You can use tools such as www.saucony.com to find a shoe that is compatible with your needs, and refer to magazines and websites for shoe reviews, but it can't replace trying them out for yourself at a specialized store.
    Good luck!

Gina,
    You can get scarves, balaclavas etc. for your face that are designed to "breathe". Your running store should have these; otherwise you should be able to find them online. Hang in there!!

Christine,
    I noticed on your profile that you're from Raleigh; I used to live in Chapel Hill, and although it's perhaps a bit of a drive for you, the Fleet Feet Sports in Carrboro is awesome. The staff there is incredibly knowledgeable; they're all avid runners, and can give you great advice on the shoes that would best suit you. Like Natasha mentioned, I always took my out for a "test run" before I bought them.
    Also, something to think about. Running shoes are good, on average, for about 500 miles; after that, cushioning and support break down, which can cause knee problems and other not fun stuff. I usually figure on buying a new pair every three months; keep a tally of your mileage so you know when yours need to be replaced. Hope this helps!
    Em

Emily,

Thanks for the tip about the store! With the long weekend coming up, it will give me the perfect opportunity to get over there. I am also looking for some more trails around this area. Do you happen to know of any good ones?

Christine

Christine,
    I love trail running! I tried to make it to off-road running whenever I had the time. I imagine you know about Duke Forest already, but there are numerous points of entry, and I think various shops (Specialized in Carrboro does, I know) have maps of the forest.
    There are some trails in Chapel Hill, as well, that I love, but those are a bit far for you to drive to for a run.
    Umstead Park is great, though, have you ever been running there? I ran there several times because it was only about a 15-20 minute drive for me.
    I haven't run on any other trails in Raleigh, but you might want to check out citysearch...they used to have a small feature that listed several of the trails in Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill. Also, if you do go to Fleet Feet this weekend, be sure to ask them about trails, also...I'm positive they would know of some good ones.
    Happy trails and enjoy your Thanksgiving!
    Emily

The running program I am doing calls for running on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday. This week, I am doing a 2 mile run on Saturday which will take less time that I am currently doing. And, after suffering through sub-zero wind chills yesterday (with over 20 mph winds), today it is warm (okay, relatively warm, the wind chill is only in the 20's) and very sunny and I wanna run. Will it hurt anything to go ahead and run today, and maybe tomorrow and Thursday then take Friday off before the run on Saturday? Gina

Gina,

Running programs are very flexible; since every runner is so different, most programs are just designed as an outline. Tailor it to what works best for you, and don't be afraid to tinker with different things. If you feel like going 3 miles one day instead of 3, go for it! Don't feel restrained by what your training schedule tells you to do, because one of the beauties of running is that you can take a sport that is so deceptively simple, and make it divinely unique for yourself. Just listen to your body...challenge it enough, but know when you've had enough. Hope your run today was great!
    Em

Thanks Em! It was a great run! I haven't been sleeping much this week (a party Monday, flying last night) so the running really helps give me an energy boost. I also realize that this weather reprive is not going to last long, and feel the need to take full advantage of it.

Thanks to all for answering all my questions. It is great fun for me to learn from your wisdom.

BTW, I also got my shoes from Fleet Feet. At the time I bought them, I did not realize they were a locally owned chain. Unfortunately, they do not have a very large selection of cold weather clothing. I will just have to keep shopping! Gina

Talking

Hi,

I m about to head about for a 10-11 miler in increasingly-heavy rain. There, now that I ve told you all that, I guess I have no choice but to go out and DO IT!! Thanks for making me get out there

Talking

Natasha,
    I must say I admire you for getting out there in the rain...I can tolerate mist and drizzle, or even steady rain in the summertime, but rain in the winter for me is an excuse to cross-train inside! What an inspiration you are...I'll have to use this to get myself outside this morning (and it's partly sunny and around 55 degrees!) I think I'm going through the lackluster aftermath of marathoning right now -- jumped back into running too quickly, and I think now I may be getting mentally burned out.
    Keep your posts coming! What a great source of motivation and support!
    By the way, how did your run go?

Natasha,
    You are definitely not a wuss. Big congrats on finishing your run (in the rain, I might add) even when you didn't feel like it. Doesn't that always make you feel great?

I ended up doing a 7-miler again, my favorite distance as you may have noticed. I'd been at my parents' all weekend, so the scenery and significantly diminished traffic was a really nice change of pace. Quite near my neighborhood and on my route is a farm with lots of cows and a small pond, which is lovely; the rest of my route takes me down to the lake that borders my neighborhood -- I certainly can't say that I ever see any of that in Atlanta!
    However, I was nearly mauled by 3 ferocious, nasty canines while I was running, and proceeded to make an idiot of myself while screaming at the top of my lungs until the owners came outside to rescue me. People in rural Georgia seem to think that it's a requirement to own menacing animals in order to terrify passerby. Very annoying. But other than that, my run was great!

Enjoy lazing around watching football...you deserve it!

[This message has been edited by emilycat (edited 11-26-2000).]

Emily,
    That's so funny that you said that about the dogs (although not funny that it happened). I had the same problem while visiting my in-laws in rural SW Georgia. I had three dogs come running down three different driveways with no humans in sight. Fortunately, they were easily cowed and left me alone when I left their territory.

I have been accompanied by my neighbors dog recently while running and made me think of a question. If I had pepper spray with me, would I use it on a dog? Of course, if I felt seriously threatened I would, but what about only mildly threatened. Any thoughts on this one?

I did my 2 mile run yesterday (in the wind and rain). It went great and I got a very nice t-shirt. Right now, for my program I am only running for 8 minutes at a time, so my goal for the race was to run the entire thing without stopping. I made it, although I ran very slowly, it took 22 minutes. Oh well, endurance now, speed later. Gina

You know, I've never thought of pepper spray before, but call me devilish, but I would definitely use it on a dog if he bared his teeth at me and intimated that he might bite. I'm just soooo sick of being hassled in the middle of an otherwise nice run. I couldn't stop crying after this incident, because the dogs scared me so much, and I thnk I'd feel much safer with something to protect myself...owners aren't always at home.
    Gina, congratulations, and great job, on your race!

Emily

Cool

Hi Emily!

Did you get out there today, cross-train, or take a well-deserved day off? I can imagine that it must be hard to get back into things now; in particular, plain old everyday runs must be anticlimactic after qualifying for Boston. I know a lot of people need a good, long break after a marathon, especially when they ve just achieved a big goal of some sort. I admire you for getting out there and running any long distances at all, much less even thinking about Raleigh. Pat on the back! But if you feel the need to take it easy, I would go ahead and do so, without feeling guilty - you ve earned it.

My run was not very fun today. The rain actually ended up being drizzle, which I love, and some of the time it wasn t raining at all, so that was good. But my mind and body just weren t into it, especially during the first 4 miles. Then things picked up, but the last 3 1/2 miles were right into a strong wind and then I had to deal with a couple of my least favorite hills (I like some hills, and hill training generally, but these particular hills - ugh!). I must add that once or twice I thought of you guys and you were all one more reason to keep going; I didn t want to come back and report that I hadn t completed my run because of laziness. Thanks for your support

Anyway, I made it and now just want to curl up and rest and cook and watch football later this afternoon (though I m not a big football fan normally!). Actually, I would love a foot massage too.

I had been thinking of whipping up some appetizers for the game, but if I get too lazy, baked Lays, tortilla chips, salsa, and a few easy dips will have to be enough . I m not sure why I m so bushed today. I m such a wuss. Oh, well, some days are just like that... Take care!

[This message has been edited by Natasha (edited 11-26-2000).]

Thumbs up

Gina --
    Great job! Wear your shirt proudly.

Thanks to all! Now I am looking toward the next one... a 5K on New Years Eve at 10 pm. It is part of a First Night celebration. Since we did a major New Years Eve thing last year, I don't feel compelled to do something extravagant again this year. I haven't decided for sure yet, but simply the thought of it keeps me going. Gina

Well, (sigh) I must confess that I have decided to wuss out on Raleigh (gosh, two cop-outs in a row -- I hope this isn't becoming a pattern )...Chickamauga satiated my long-distance bug for the time-being, and I'm going to save up for Boston (I'd like to finish the hellacious course, after all)

Anyway, my big reasoning (and I know this is wretched of me) is that I simply don't think I can mentally handle tapering and recovering again. It's the third week now, after the race, and I'm really enjoying being back up (almost) to normal mileage. Lower mileage stresses me out, and puts me at risk for gaining more weight, which I'm also not ready to tolerate.
    So, anyway, I think next up is a Jingle Jog on January 16, and I'm contemplating a 5 or 10K on New Year's...I've never done that, and it sounds like so much fun! What a way to ring in the New Year! Has anyone else ever done this?

I hope everyone else's running, training, racing, whatever suits you, is going great!

Em

[This message has been edited by emilycat (edited 11-28-2000).]

Okay, here is my silly question for the day.... do you ever feel like getting in and out of your running bra is a form of cross-training!?!?!? Gina

Wink

I would say getting out of a sweaty exercise bra is more like a contortion act!

Wink

LOL! I hear you; in fact, I experienced this not long ago at the gym this afternoon! I felt like Harry Houdini. Some are very easy to get out of, but others - far from it!

Keep on running, and loving it!

Smile

Em,

You're not wussing out at all. I'm sure you'll be happy when Boston rolls around and you're in top shape for it and rarin' to go! Enjoy yourself out on the trails and byways of rural Georgia!

I did run today, but can't say I loved it... I hate wind!!!! For the first time in several weeks I almost gave up and started walking as I was topping a hill and got blasted by about a 30 mph headwind. To make matters worse, I saw my first snake while running!!!! (I really, really, really hate snakes) Thankfully, it was only a baby, and soon after I saw it, it had an unpleasant run-in with a truck tire and lost. Not sure what it was doing out in Missouri at the end of November, but it will not have the chance to make that mistake again.

Anyway, I did get out there and complete the program and feel good for having done it! Someday, I am going to take up an activity that is not adversely affected by strong winds... perhaps knitting or needlepoint. Flying, biking and running just aren't working from that angle. Gina

Gina,
    I'm interested in hearing more about your flying. Sounds fascinating!