Community Message Boards

Thread: What do I do with corn tortillas?

What do I do with corn tortillas?

I have about 80 Tia Rosa white corn tortillas left over from an enchilada recipe, and I don't know what to do with them. It was the smallest package the grocery store had! Any ideas? I've thought of using them as frisbees, but that seems a bit wasteful...

You can.....

Make Tortilla Chips
    Use them as sandwich wraps
    Make more enchiladas and freeze them
    Tear them in pieces, top with Pico and call it an appetizer
    Use them as frisbees
    Terri _A
    I'm anal retentive. I'm a workaholic. I have insomnia. And I'm a control freak. That's why I'm not married. Who could stand me?” -Madonna

Read my ramblings about food and my nutty life on A Girl in the South!

Lightbulb

And...

Use for tacos.
    Cut into thin strips and fry (or bake) for tortilla soup or for a crunchy garnish on salads.
    Leave them flat and fry til crisp for tostadas.
    Fill them, roll them tightly and fry (or bake) for taquitos.
    Cut them into wedges, bake in oven til crisp (or fry), top with cheese, melt the cheese, top with sour cream, olives, salsa, peppers and have your own nachos!
    The tortillas freeze well too.

My favorite use by far:

CL's Breakfast Tortilla Strata

Bob

Well, my absolute favorite thing to do with corn tortillas is tostadas. Fry them up in a little oil (or oven bake, but frying is way better ) and top with refried beans, cheese, sour cream, and onions. And then make a huge mess trying to eat them.
    Merry: I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
    Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

I'm food bloggin' almost daily at Tummy Treasure!

I use them as bread in the morning if I have extras...smear whatever I would normally use (PB or any nut butter) and roll it up. Or melt cheese and salsa for a mini breakfast or lunch "pizza."
    I've also used them as lasagna noodles and made Mexican-style "lasagna."

I've cut them in quarters and baked them for baked tortilla chips.
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

Huevos Rancheros or baked tortilla chips.

Make a Mexican Lasagna. Use the tortillas as the noodles. You can really make up the layers on your lasagna as you want or you can use this recipe from Rachel Ray.

http://www.foodtv.com/food/recipes/r..._28244,00.html

Don't forget about making quesadillas also. Yummy

Great timing on this thread! And thanks for all the ideas, as I had no clue what to do with them, other than making chips!
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

DmOrtega Guest

Make migas.

Simply break up corn tortillas, fry in a little oil, add an egg or two, salt & pepper to taste, scramble till cooked.

Use them in RebeccaT's fabulous tortilla soup!

I freeze them in baggies. So far, they keep for at least six months frozen.

I forgot Chilequeles(sp?).
    WOW.
    I've done the more traditional with tomato sauce and eggs as well as the custard-y kind from Moosewood.
    YUMMMY.
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

And quesadillas.

I use corn instead of flour tortillas in all recipes

Quote Originally Posted by Kyra
    Use them in RebeccaT's fabulous tortilla soup!
    I will second this recommendation and add the recipe.

Tortilla Soup
    6 tablespoons vegetable oil [I used 3]
    8 corn tortillas, chopped
    6 garlic cloves, minced
    1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
    2 tablespoons ground cumin
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    3 bay leaves
    6 cups chicken stock [I made broth using Penzey's soup base, then added 1 tsp of soup base to the pot]
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    4 to 6 cooked chicken breast halves, shredded (about 2 cups)

Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add tortillas, garlic, cilantro, and onion. Saute 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in tomatoes. Bring to a boil and add cumin, chili powder, bay leaves, and chicken stock. Return to a boil. Reduce heat. Add salt and cayenne. Simmer 30 minutes. Remove bay leaves and stir in chicken. Reheat. Garnish with monterey jack, avocado, sour cream, and tortilla strips

Serves 6 (1.5 cup servings)
    5 WW points with reduced oil, not counting garnish
    "Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. We need to have the strength and power of a football player, the stamina of a marathon runner and the concentration of a brain surgeon. But, we need to put all this together while moving at high speeds on a cold and slippery surface while 5 other guys use clubs to try and kill us. Oh, yeah, did I mention that this whole time we're standing on blades 1/8 of an inch thick. Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. Next question."

Tortilla soup sounds awesome! It doesn't get all soggy?

I like the idea of taquitos, but whenever I roll the tortillas they break. Any secrets for rolling a corn tortilla without it breaking?

Quote Originally Posted by goestrogen
    Tortilla soup sounds awesome! It doesn't get all soggy?
    They actually completely fall apart and end up thickening the soup.
    "Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. We need to have the strength and power of a football player, the stamina of a marathon runner and the concentration of a brain surgeon. But, we need to put all this together while moving at high speeds on a cold and slippery surface while 5 other guys use clubs to try and kill us. Oh, yeah, did I mention that this whole time we're standing on blades 1/8 of an inch thick. Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. Next question."

Thanks for mentioning tortilla soup. It's something I've never tried, but have a couple recipes that sound good. I think I'll pull out that stack of white corn tortillas in the freezer and make a pot of Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup later this week.

I have about 80 Tia Rosa white corn tortillas left over from an enchilada recipe, and I don't know what to do with them. It was the smallest package the grocery store had! Any ideas? I've thought of using them as frisbees, but that seems a bit wasteful...

Freeze in small packages. They'll keep for a couple of months. that way you'll get to try all the great suggestions you've been given!
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

I like the idea of taquitos, but whenever I roll the tortillas they break. Any secrets for rolling a corn tortilla without it breaking?
    They need to be softened to roll, fold etc. such as a microwwave( roll in damp paper towel and heat about 15 seconds), lay on a hot burner a few seconds, lay in a hot skillet a few seconds. Just watch untill they are limp.

King Ranch Chicken - kind of a Mexican Lasagna, but with cooked chicken, onion, green pepper, chili powder, Rotel tomatoes, and Cream of Chicken Soup.

Traditional Texas dish that will feed an army and freezes well.

SSM
    Now Robin's Mom too...10/21/02

I vote for frisbees. <corn tortillas - BLECH!> Sorry. I couldn't resist!

Tortilla Soup
    6 tablespoons vegetable oil [I used 3]
    8 corn tortillas, chopped
    6 garlic cloves, minced
    1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
    2 tablespoons ground cumin
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    3 bay leaves
    6 cups chicken stock [I made broth using Penzey's soup base, then added 1 tsp of soup base to the pot]
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    4 to 6 cooked chicken breast halves, shredded (about 2 cups)

Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add tortillas, garlic, cilantro, and onion. Saute 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in tomatoes. Bring to a boil and add cumin, chili powder, bay leaves, and chicken stock. Return to a boil. Reduce heat. Add salt and cayenne. Simmer 30 minutes. Remove bay leaves and stir in chicken. Reheat. Garnish with monterey jack, avocado, sour cream, and tortilla strips

Serves 6 (1.5 cup servings)
    5 WW points with reduced oil, not counting garnish
    I LOVE this soup! I usually use at most, 1 T oil and I also leave out the chicken, but add black beans and corn! Thanks again to RebeccaT for posting it-it is my FAVORITE tortilla soup recipe!

Sheila in MD

Quote Originally Posted by Sheila in MD
    I LOVE this soup! I usually use at most, 1 T oil and I also leave out the chicken, but add black beans and corn! Thanks again to RebeccaT for posting it-it is my FAVORITE tortilla soup recipe!

Sheila in MD

As soon as I saw the title of this thread, I thought of this soup! It really is awesome...soooo good! I freeze tortillas in the right amount so I can make the soup whenever.

Kari

Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup? That sounds different than the tortilla soup recipe made famous by RebeccaT! Can you post the recipe? Pretty please?

Smile

I made the tortilla soup tonight! It was great! Hubby liked it. The tortillas didn't fall apart completely but they did get soft. The soup was surprisingly thick. I did do a couple variations.

Instead of chicken, I used canned corn with the juice and added more water instead of broth. I usually like spice, but because it was 95 degrees today, I didn't really want a spicy soup, so I cut back on the chili powder and cayenne. I also added fresh minced oregano because I have it around. Then right before serving, I added a squeeze of fresh lime. LOVED the lime and would highly recommend it!

Do you think I can freeze the leftovers?

Talking

The tortillas didn't fall apart completely but they did get soft.Then right before serving, I added a squeeze of fresh lime. LOVED the lime and would highly recommend it! Do you think I can freeze the leftovers?
    I think if you would have simmered it longer, the tortillas would have fallen apart more...I usually simmer mine until they disappear! It also might depend on how small you cut them.

I forgot to add that I too always add a squeeze of fresh lime and you are right-it really adds something!

I have frozen it MANY times-when it is defrosted it looks quite odd to me-almost solid but soft but when heated it turns back into soup

Sheila in MD