Community Message Boards

Thread: Need Ideas for a Late Evening Meal

Need Ideas for a Late Evening Meal

Good Morning!

My Dad & his Fiance are coming to visit on Friday. Their flight comes in at 8:00 p.m. By the time we get to our house, it will be last 9:00 p.m. I know they will be hungry for a dinner meal. I need ideas as to what to have that late at night. I was thinking deli sandwiches and soup?? My Husband doesn't think that is a "dinner" meal and is leaning towards a full dinner.

I was considering making Jewel's Cheesy Chicken Chowder along with the soup. This way they can have a bowl of soup, bread and/ or sandwich. I LOVE that soup. To me, that is a meal on it's own.

Any ideas for feeding someone that late at night??? Thanks!!!

I am so excited to see them. I haven't seen them since Christmas and they haven't met my two Basset Hounds!!!! Picture time!

Hi, I don't know how old your dad is, but older people do have a hard time digesting certain foods late at night. Unless you plan on staying up real late talking I definitely would make it a very light meal. No beef. That is the hardest to digest.

My first inclination was similar to yours...soup and sandwiches. It will be too late for a fiull meal especially after a day of travelling. I think your idea is great!
    Terri _A
    I'm anal retentive. I'm a workaholic. I have insomnia. And I'm a control freak. That's why I'm not married. Who could stand me?” -Madonna

Read my ramblings about food and my nutty life on A Girl in the South!

I nix your DH's idea of serving a full dinner. I think something like a deli and cheese tray with rolls or bread would work with the soup. That way they take what they want, and sandwiches aren't wasted. I don't like eating that late either, and after travelling, I find that I don't have much of an appetite.

I always fall back on scrambled eggs for late night meals. Probably mostly because they are quick, easy and on hand. I like to add what ever veggies I have that sound good. Last night I sauted some bananna peppers and then dumped the eggs in when the peppers were starting to get soft. I also like mushrooms, onions, spinach or other leafy greens, etc. Slice a nice ripe tomato, toast some sourdough bread and it's a lovely meal.

For a late meal after a day of travelling, I'd go with soup and good bread. I wouldn't even do sandwiches. And some fruit.

I recently posted a request for guest-worthy crockpot meals and Bobmark's Smokey Turkey joes were on the list (as was a pulled chicken sandwich idea, which sounded great too).
    Maybe what they mean is a HOT meal, not necessarily "dinner worthy" but he used a wrong choice of words/thoughts?

Omlettes(sp?) are great as are frittatas.
    Quiche is great too.

I'm making the crockpot joes because they are time forgiving, you can eat as much as you want, and it is hot. At 9pm, you may not want to serve coleslaw, but maybe a creamy potato salad or something like that or just good rolls.
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

How about paninis? Nice and easy, not too heavy.
    Visit my website (mostly cooking, with life thrown in for good measure):
    http://www.sweetnicks.com

Quote Originally Posted by funnybone
    I nix your DH's idea of serving a full dinner. I think something like a deli and cheese tray with rolls or bread would work with the soup. That way they take what they want, and sandwiches aren't wasted. I don't like eating that late either, and after travelling, I find that I don't have much of an appetite.
    I agree with funnybone. I wouldn't even do deli sandwiches or platter for four people; I'd have good bread or rolls and some sliced meats and cheese along with the soup - that should be plenty for later in the evening, though I like the idea of fruit salad of some kind as well. What doesn't get eaten can be lunch another day.
    I would think (not that I know them, obviously) that your guests would rather have soup and rolls with you and visit than to think you were laying out a full-on meal after 9PM. I'd feel kind of bad if someone did that for me.
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

I agree that soup and sandwiches would be great, you can make the soup ahead of time and then just heat it up while you make the sandwiches.

Although, for myself, eating a cheesy chowder might feel heavy so late at night so maybe you could do something that is broth based or maybe a tomato-basil soup. You could do a lighter soup and then compensate by making made-to-order grilled cheese sandwiches.

Thanks so much for all your replies. I have settled on soup & sandwiches. The deli meat can be eaten the next day for lunch if they just want bread & soup. As far as the soup, I don't have alot of recipes. I have one broth based soup that is wonderful. Taste like the soup at Olive Garden. BUT I've served it to them so many times, that my Dad's fiance makes it herself so I don't want to serve that. Anyone have a tried & true EASY soup recipe that isn't that heavy??? THANKS!!!

What about RebeccaT's Tortilla Soup???? It's delish!
    Terri _A
    I'm anal retentive. I'm a workaholic. I have insomnia. And I'm a control freak. That's why I'm not married. Who could stand me?” -Madonna

Read my ramblings about food and my nutty life on A Girl in the South!

CL's Italian Sausage Soup is very easy and good. It's better than the recipe sounds, actually.

Italian Sausage Soup

8 ounces hot or sweet turkey Italian sausage
    2 cups fat-free -- less-sodium chicken broth
    1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano
    1/2 cup uncooked small shell pasta
    2 cups bagged baby spinach leaves
    2 tablespoons grated fresh Parmesan or Romano cheese
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil

Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Remove casings from sausage. Add sausage to pan, and cook about 5 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Drain; return to pan.

Add broth, tomatoes, and pasta to pan, and bring to a boil over high heat. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until pasta is done. Remove from heat; stir in spinach until wilted. Sprinkle each serving with cheese and basil.

Source: Cooking Light, July 2004

Here's a green minestrone, originally posted here by keg64. When I made it, I used olive oil instead of Pam, sweet potato instead of white, and cannellini beans instead of chickpeas. I also added some Better Than Bouillon chicken broth instead of plain water. The sweetness of the green peas is important to the flavor of the soup.

Green Veggie Minestrone

Pam Olive Oil Spray
    2 small leeks, white and light green parts only, sliced
    2 small stalks celery, sliced
    1 medium onion, chopped
    2 cloves minced garlic
    2 small zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced
    1 potato, peeled and diced
    8 cups of water
    1 cup pasta shells (or bowties or elbows)
    8 cups chopped green Swiss Chard leaves (or spinach)
    1 15.5 oz can chickpeas, rinsed
    1 cup frozen green peas
    salt to taste
    freshly ground black pepper to taste
    opt: top with grated parmesan cheese or fresh parsley or basil

1. Cook leeks, celery, onion, and salt with Pam/water in a covered soup pot
    or Dutch oven until softened (stirring occasionally).
    2. Add garlic, zucchini, and potato and stir/cook for a minute or so.
    3. Add water and salt; bring to boil.
    4. Reduce heat to low and simmer partially covered until veggies are tender.
    5. Add pasta and chard; cook uncovered for 5 minutes.
    6. Add chickpeas and green peas and simmer until pasta is al dente.

Split Pea Soup

I just made a nice split pea soup yesterday. I sauteed chopped onion, carrot, celery and leak in a little oil, added 1 C yellow peas, 1 C green peas and about 6 C of chicken broth. I boiled it for a few minutes and then let it simmer until the peas were cooked (2 hours?) At some juncture, i added some thyme and also diced cooked ham. It's nice and hearty! (Oh, don't forget the s&p!)

I think a nice green salad would go well with the soup idea.

16. I'd say it depends on what time it will feel like for your Dad and his Fiance. If you're on the east coast but they are from the west coast then 8 isn't late for them. Also what time do they normally eat?

Another thought is that the soup/sandwiches will just be so nice and easy no matter how late/early it feels to them. I would think a full meal would just delay dinner to even later...
    Foodie Pam
    Tired of losing of recipes? Try Project Foodie.

My Dad called just now and said they were at the Ft. Lauderdale airport eating a spaghetti & meatball dinner! Good thing, I did plan deli sandwiches and soup! We are on the same time line so dinner would have been around 9:00 p.m. I did make Jewel's Cheesy Chicken Chowder because I love it so much!!!!!! They will have their choice of the soup or sandwich. I made a coffee cake that is wonderful from the Cake Mix Doctor's book. Kathy's Breakfast Cake. It is wonderfully moist and love the nuts & cinnamon! It also keeps at room temp. for a week. Like it will last that long!! Thanks everyone for your replies>!!!!!

I always like breakfast for late night meals. Is there ever a bad time for pancakes?