Community Message Boards

Thread: How to cook Kielbasa Sausage?

How to cook Kielbasa Sausage?

I am trying to figure out the best way to cook Kielbasa sausage...when I was at my gramma's house last I seem to remember her either steaming it or boiling it? Does anyone know which would be the best way? Also, for how long?

TIA! erin

Smoked or fresh?

Bob

Generally, I poke holes in the casing (assuming smoked kielbasa), and place in a pan with water about halfway up the side, then microwave for a few minutes... I'm sure there are other ways to do it, also... Great with Mac & Cheese, a family favorite!
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

I have always cooked kielbasa in a pan with a bit water int he bottom on the stove and then sometimes once it's cooked through I'll toss it on the grill to get that "grilled" flavor.
    Terri _A
    I'm anal retentive. I'm a workaholic. I have insomnia. And I'm a control freak. That's why I'm not married. Who could stand me?” -Madonna

Read my ramblings about food and my nutty life on A Girl in the South!

DH cooks Italian sausage Bratts etc in the grill.
    I use smoked sausage in pasta etc (I use Louis Rich turkeu) and I make jambalaya pasta (C Light) I also use the smoke (cooked already) sausage for soups with chick pea soups etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Terri_A
    I have always cooked kielbasa in a pan with a bit water int he bottom on the stove and then sometimes once it's cooked through I'll toss it on the grill to get that "grilled" flavor.
    You can also just let the water boil out in the pan and let it brown there to perk the flavor up.

I was fed kielbasa every Monday night for the first 18 years of my life or so. I can barely look at one now.

Bob

We were another family that had it once a week...now I have it about twice a year - Christmas and Easter with my parents

My mom also boils/ steams it in shallow water - both the fresh and the smoked kinds. She brings it to a boil for about 10 min and then turns off the burner and puts a lid on the pan...and then it cooks in the hot water until it's done all the way through. The fresh type takes longer - you can tell it's done when it's not pink. Since the smoked kind is pre-cooked and stays pink - until it's hot.

She also grills the smoked kind in the summer - usually as skewers with alternating chunks of kielbasa and fresh pineapple.

Thanks everyone, you're the best! I wanted to call my gramma but she's off globetrotting again and I can't get ahold of her!

By the way, how do you tell if it's smoked or not...I bought it fresh at a deli yesterday and it didn't come in it's own packaging? erin

I cook fresh kielbasa in a pan with water on the stove, then cut up and transfer to my crockpot and cook for 2-4 hours with a mustard sauce. Just combine coarse brown mustard or any other mustard and brown sugar. My boys love this and its a great football game snack.

Quote Originally Posted by erinlovesmarc
    By the way, how do you tell if it's smoked or not...I bought it fresh at a deli yesterday and it didn't come in it's own packaging? erin
    If the casing is soft, and the meat inside looks raw, it's fresh. If the casing is browner and a little papery, it's smoked.
    Kay

I don't make it too often but, when I do I cut it up and put it in a pot with sauerkraut and cook it in there until it is heated through. That's how I grew up eating it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by LakeMartinGal
    If the casing is soft, and the meat inside looks raw, it's fresh. If the casing is browner and a little papery, it's smoked.
    Thanks....

We've always put kielbasa in a pot and cover with water, get it simmering and then add a can of beer. Simmer 10-15 minutes. Take it out, slice it, and serve with horseradish. Yum!

Quote Originally Posted by erinlovesmarc
    Thanks....
    So, smoked or fresh?

I love kielbasa, and look forward to trying some of these ideas.
    "Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. We need to have the strength and power of a football player, the stamina of a marathon runner and the concentration of a brain surgeon. But, we need to put all this together while moving at high speeds on a cold and slippery surface while 5 other guys use clubs to try and kill us. Oh, yeah, did I mention that this whole time we're standing on blades 1/8 of an inch thick. Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. Next question."

Oh! And it's great with sauerkraut, too -- I'll have to try adding the beer to the sauerkraut and kielbasa! (Boy, that was a strain on my 'spelling' muscle! )
    Kay

My favotite way besides grilling ( the smoked ones) is to take a can of ginger ale , 1/2 cup brown sugar and some chopped onion and heat in pan to dissolve sugar, then pour over sliced sausage in a dish and bake in the oven for about an hour at 350.

Quote Originally Posted by zwieback
    I don't make it too often but, when I do I cut it up and put it in a pot with sauerkraut and cook it in there until it is heated through. That's how I grew up eating it as well.
    Same here. I make a one pot meal with kielbasa, sauerkraut, potatoes, onions, apples, and cider.

I've never ever seen fresh kielbasa only smoked and we grill or saute it. Fresh brats we do the simmer with onions and beer and then grill. Only homemade fresh sausage do I boil first but it also gets grilled at the end.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Don't forget the Polish breakfast favorite where you slice the kielbasa, brown it and serve it with fried or scrambled eggs, a nice change of pace from bacon, breakfast sausage or ham. Good for leftover kielbasa, too.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bobmark226
    Don't forget the Polish breakfast favorite where you slice the kielbasa, brown it and serve it with fried or scrambled eggs, a nice change of pace from bacon, breakfast sausage or ham. Good for leftover kielbasa, too.

Bob
    I had to laugh at this one. My Polish brother-in-law used to make these every time I came to visit. I forgot all about it. Thanks for the memories!

Sandy

[QUOTE=bobmark226]Don't forget the Polish breakfast favorite where you slice the kielbasa, brown it and serve it with fried or scrambled eggs, a nice change of pace from bacon, breakfast sausage or ham. Good for leftover kielbasa, too.

I love kielbasa and scrambled eggs.

My mom use to make this as a snack. She'd take Ritz crackers, some spreadable cheese and slices of kielbasa. She would assemble them (cracker, cheese, kielbasa) on a cookie sheet and put it under the broiler for a minute or two and serve. This thread has reminded me of that.

So it was smoked finally...DH decided to steam it and it turned out really well...he made mashed potatoes too and sauted mushrooms and onions....yum yum...it was a real treat 1-I didn't have to cook and 2-it was like being at gramma's!

[QUOTE=HDgirl]

My mom use to make this as a snack. She'd take Ritz crackers, some spreadable cheese and slices of kielbasa. She would assemble them (cracker, cheese, kielbasa) on a cookie sheet and put it under the broiler for a minute or two and serve. This thread has reminded me of that.
    This just reminded me of my mom's New Year's Eve buffet -- she'd take a large green cabbage, hollow out a place big enough for a Sterno can, and put chunks of smoked kielbasa on skewers to "grill" over the Sterno and eat... looked like a big porcupine, but always went over well in Buffalo, NY!
    Kay

One easy way to prepare Kielbasa is to slice it and put it in an 8x8 oven safe dish. Slice one large onion and one large green pepper and mix together with the sausage. Pour about 1/2 to 2/3 of a jar of Thai sweet chili sauce into the mixture and bake at 375 for about 30 minutes. Delicious!

Thanks for the recipe, but you do know this thread is about 7 years old? This coming from someone who loves to bump up her own old threads.

Welcome to the BB

Quote Originally Posted by cookieee View Post
    Thanks for the recipe, but you do know this thread is about 7 years old? This coming from someone who loves to bump up her own old threads.

It may be, but it sure makes me long for cool fall days and a pot of sauerkraut with Kielbasa.

[QUOTE=HDgirl;1096486]

We used to have this when we lived in Hawaii...will have to have it again soon.