Community Message Boards

Thread: Are Ramekin sizes really that important when baking?

Are Ramekin sizes really that important when baking?

I was so excited to find Le Creuset Poterie Ramekins at TJMaxx this week -- I bought four at 7 3/4 ounce each. When I got home and started looking for ramekin dishes to make I noticed that most receipes called for a 6 oz size and one even specified a 4 oz size. Are mine too big? Should I take them back? Or, is a ramekin essentially a ramekin at the end of the day?

TIA,
    Chritsine

I usually hate when people reply to say they have no information about the subject of the post. But.....well, I've always wondered the same thing too. I'm sure it makes a difference on cooking times and amounts used in the ramekins, but come on, not everyone has a gigantic kitchen that can house 3 or 4 sizes of everything. I think I own 3 sets of different size ramekins and never seem to have the right size for the recipe. I wish I could say I've improvised and went on, but truth be told, I just found something else to make. I also hate it when you need 6 or 8 of the same size!

Thansk, Ann. Hopefully someone will chime in and help us both out

I'm wondering the correct answer too! I have purchased 4oz and 6oz. because of recipes (at the last minute!). My only thought on 7 3/4 oz is that the surface area is different from a 4 oz. (almost double) and 30% bigger almost than the 6oz. Certainly the serving size will be large, which may be a problem.

I was making molten chocolate cakes in mine, and I worried the ratios of batter to outside area of ramekin would be off for the cooking time, which is tricky and I haven't mastered, on these little cakes that aren't molten if they are overbaked.

So my guess is, any recipe will work, but the serving sizes and cooking times will be off, but I'll wait for more official advice.

(I've cooked brulees in an assortment of sizes at once, no problem)

It depends on the recipe. I think for souffles, it matters. Only because the recipe makes say, eight 6 ounce ramekins, then if you use four 7.25 ouncers, the mixture won't all fit in four. If you choose to use say six of the 7.25 ouncers, then you'd have to adjust the baking time. They will take longer (and you won't have eight, you'll only have six). If you spread out the mixture among all eight 7.25 ounce ramekins, they won't rise very high at all, and while they'd still be good, the presentation wouldn't be as nice.

Now, that said, CL recipes aren't very uniform when it comes to ramekins. I bought 6 ouncers, then found a bunch of recipes that called for four ouncers, some for 5 ouncers and some that called for the bigger ones. I have been aggravated by that because who can keep 8 of every size ramekin?

Crate & Barrell has SQUARE ramekins that I desperatly want, but am affraid to get them because I dont think the souffles would rise properly in them. This in an interesting topic, i've never thought about size before, but then again, I don't own any ramekins. I think I will still get the square ones to make little cakes in or whatnot.
    I'm walking in the avon walk for breast cancer AGAIN for the 5th year (2008)!

Donate Here

Not sure if this helps - but I have two different size ramekins, not sure which size either is. I use them all the time for baking and just sort of wing it. Haven't had a real problem yet. For the molten chocolate cakes (I use the Joy of Cooking recipe) I just make sure my oven temp is accurate and watch the top for signs that it's done.

Thanks everyone. I'm beginning to think that my 7 3/4 ounce ones are simply too big -- perhaps that's why they were at TJMAxx. I'll look for some 6 ounce ones, those will be much better suited to the majority recipes and should be easier to adapt if necessary.