Community Message Boards

Thread: Alton Brown's Roasted Vegetable Spread

Thumbs up Alton Brown's Roasted Vegetable Spread

From his "Sandwichcraft" episode, which I caught last week, but is repeated Oct. 25, I made this yesterday and I can only describe it as sensationally good. Simple, too, and next time I might try using yogurt cheese, adding a pinch or two of sugar, instead, although low-fat cream cheese worked very well.

Bob

Roasted Vegetable Spread Recipe
    (courtesy Alton Brown)

Recipe Summary
    Difficulty: Easy
    Prep Time: 15 minutes
    Cook Time: 45 minutes
    Yield: 1 3/4 cups spread

1 red bell pepper, sliced into rings
    1 medium onion, sliced into rings
    4 cloves garlic, crushed
    1 small zucchini, sliced
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    8 ounces cream cheese
    Kosher salt
    Freshly ground black pepper
    Challah, foccacia, or pita bread, for serving

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
    Place the bell pepper, onion, garlic, zucchini, and olive oil in a medium mixing bowl and toss until the vegetables are coated. Spread the vegetables evenly on sheet pan lined with foil and place to the oven. Roast, tossing occasionally, until they are soft and are beginning to turn brown around the edges, approximately 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool completely.

Place the vegetables in the bowl of a food processor along with the cream cheese and process until well combined and spreadable; do not process until completely smooth.

Taste and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Spread on soft bread, such as challah, foccacia, or pita bread. Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 1 week.

That looks good Bob. I love roasted vegetables. I have some garlic and herb cream cheese that I bought inadvertently waiting for a purpose. Maybe I will try it with this recipe. Thanks!
    The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue. - Anonymous

That's so funny that you posted this review - I just made this recipe as well! Oddly, I've never seen the episode of Good Eats that features it, I just found it on the Food Network website. I agree with you that it is very, very good. It tastes a lot like storebought vegetable cream cheese, except it has that roasted vegetable flavor that makes it better.

I've been eating it on bagels for lunches this past week.
    "One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, unless one has dined well." - Virginia Woolf
    http://whatsinlaurenstummy.blogspot.com

There was a recipe years ago in SL for a roasted pepper dip that's along the same lines. I make it a few times a year.

Roasted Pepper Dip

This is low-fat, but doesnít taste it. Itís great with veggies.

2 large red or yellow bell peppers
    2-3 jalapenos
    1 small onion, quartered
    3-4 cloves garlic
    8 ounce package light cream cheese (donít use fat-free)
    3 tablespoons fresh cilantro (or to taste)
    coarse salt
    fresh ground black pepper

Place peppers & onion on a foil-lined baking sheet that has been sprayed with oil. Bake at 450 degrees for approximately 20 minutes or until peppers are blistered. Turn peppers a few times while baking. When done, place peppers in a small paper bag, close and let stand 15 minutes to loosen skins.

Lower oven temp to 375 degrees. Place garlic cloves on a small sheet of foil and drizzle with oil. Bake for 20 minutes or until soft. Peel peppers; remove seeds. Puree peppers, onion, garlic, cilantro, and cream cheese in food processor. Season with coarse salt & fresh ground pepper to taste.

This is also good made with fresh basil instead of cilantro, omitting the jalapenos.

Thanks for the review Bob! I watched the episode with my son and he said he would like to make that recipe, so we have in on the to try pile for next week!
    I was also going to sub yogurt cheese! I will let you know how it works if I try it that way!
    Ana

I've made this spread at least 3 or 4 times in the past few months. I love it! Great with crackers, bagels, chips etc...

Karen

thanks for posting bob! I had seen this as well, and thought my fiance would like it on his bagels that he eats for breakfast at work. As someone who dislikes almost anything with the word cheese it in, excuse my ignorance but...what is yogurt cheese?
    I'm walking in the avon walk for breast cancer AGAIN for the 5th year (2008)!

Donate Here

Quote Originally Posted by RebelsLGB
    thanks for posting bob! I had seen this as well, and thought my fiance would like it on his bagels that he eats for breakfast at work. As someone who dislikes almost anything with the word cheese it in, excuse my ignorance but...what is yogurt cheese?
    rebelsLGB, it is simply plain yogurt that has been set to drain through chessecloth till it reaches a consistency you like. it can become quite firm, can be salted, and should be refrigerated for long draining, though you can leave it out, hanging on the kitchen faucet, for a good couple of hours. it makes for great, rich, lowfat dips and spreads. I've never made it into curds yet, but gotten it as firm as cold cream cheese and more. Makes good cheesecake too.

This would be a fantastic use for leftover grilled veggies. I always seem to have some and sometimes they don't get eaten.

Bookmarked!

I made this last night and liked it very much! I did make it with yogurt cheese instead of cream cheese, and honestly, I think I like it better than I would have with cream cheese. The veggies roasted nicely, and it was just the right amount. I used it as a spread on a tortilla (rosemary, from La Tortilla factory, new find - very nice), with a slice of romaine and fresh diced tomato. With the calories lost from using yogurt cheese, I was able to use a good amount, and really get the flavor.

I definitely can see making this again. I really want to try it on bagels!

Susan
    http://5recipes.blogspot.com

This is the first I've heard of yogurt cheese also. How long does it take to get it to the right consistency?

Loren
    The term "working mother" is redundant.

I place a coffee filter in a strainer and set this over a bowl, put the yogurt in, cover with a paper towel, set in the fridge overnight and it always turns out perfectly. I stir a pinch of salt into the yogurt before straining, just my preference.

OK, you guys are making me wonder about this yogurt cheese thing. I've been wanting to try this, but I don't like nonfat cream cheese, and I can't use just a skooch of spread....I like to gob stuff on my crackers. If yogurt cheese would give me a good consistency and also be lower in fat and calories, I might give it a go!

My turn for an ignorant question, but do you all usually use whole fat plain yogurt or lowfat?
    ~ "The right shoe can change your life...."- Cinderella ~

Quote Originally Posted by Jewel
    My turn for an ignorant question, but do you all usually use whole fat plain yogurt or lowfat?
    I use Stonyfield nonfat. The yogurt you use must not contain gelatin, or else it won't drain properly.

Susan
    http://5recipes.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jewel
    You can use either one! Just make sure there are no starches or other additives in your yogurt, as they prevent it from draining. I use Dannon and it always work fine! I love drained yogurt!
    Ana

I made this yesterday and I have to say it is great! I used the 1/3 fat Cream Cheese. I would love to try it with yogurt cheese sometime.

I remember seeing this on the show and thinking that I would like it. Thanks for reminding me about this one Bob!

Patti

I made this for Rosh Hashanah and everyone raved about it! I had leftovers this am on a bagel.

I just made this - it was so simple and so delicious; way better than the veggie cream cheese I get from the deli. I want to spread/schmear it on everything! Thanks for bringing it to my attention Bob!

Bob- thanks for posting. I made this today and it's fantastic. It will be a great thing to keep in the fridge to snack on w/veggies, etc., during the day instead of my usual hummus.
    Thanks again!
    In a nutshell, I'm saying no to fishbread.
    - Wendy W - CLBB

This looks wonderful - I've learned within the last year or so how easy it is to roast veggies, and I'm making a lot of recipes now that call for them!

Thank you!

Glad to see so many folks enjoying this. Thanks for the comments!

Re roasted vegetables, the current EveryDay Food has a feature on them with a basic recipe and variations, from soup to pizza, both of which sound great. I'm going to try the pizza when I get back home. It's simple enough and you can use whatever you like, just spread a crust with ricotta and top with the roasted vegetables. Now why didn't *I* think of that?

Bob

This was a BIG hit at my supper club meeting last night. Everyone loved it and wanted the recipe. I served with roasted garlic bread and it was fabulous. This is a keeper and is an easy dip to bring to any party.
    "We dare not trust our wit or making our house pleasant to our friend so we buy ice cream." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

I wanted to bump this older thread up to thank Bob again for posting this. I had put this in my "to try" file since the thread was posted, but never got around to making it. I was at the beach with my family last weekend, and this was devoured. My 2 1/2 year old nephew loved it - what a great way to sneak some veggies to him!

An absolute repeat - this is a fantastic and easy recipe.

I realize I'm jumping on the band wagon late in the game, but I just wanted to thank Bob for giving me a solution to the excessive amount of kabobs we made this week. I have bags of grilled veggies that I had some ideas for, but this is just the ticket. Thanks again!

Thanks Bob! I didn't catch this thread the first time around, but I'm going to make this tonight.

It's been about a year since this wonderful roasted vegetable spread got bumped. I was going through 1001 Low Fat Vegetarian recipes, which I've been using a lot lately, the other night and there was something very much like it there, which prompted me to go digging and make it again. It' not an answer to what to do with a bumper zucchini crop, but it does use some and, anyway, it's good enough to be doubled.

I enjoyed it with one of socca posted elsewhere, a perfect combo.

Bob

I missed this last time around, but would love to try it. Thx for bumping

(like I need yet another new-to-try recipe! What am I thinking)

It's been over 3 years since this thread was bumped, and as I was going thru old recipes I found it, and just made it again!

I forgot how good this is compared to the veggie pre-made cream cheese...bumping it up for all our new folks...and I used low fat cream cheese...YUM!

~Gail
    "I expect to pass through life but once.
    If, therefore, there be any kindness I can show or any good thing I can do any fellow being, let me do it now and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again."
    -William Penn (1644-1718)

~~www.Nurse-Gail.com~~

Oh why didn't i know about this two days ago?
    Thanks for bumping - must make soon. I like Bob's original idea of using yougurt cheese...
    Jill

"Be kind to your neighbor... he knows where you live." -Brian Copeland

I make this ALL the time. It is so easy and I love this stuff.

Karen