Community Message Boards

Thread: Iso Raspberry Mousse Recipe For Cake Filling

Iso Raspberry Mousse Recipe For Cake Filling

I am looking for a wonderful raspberry mousse recipe that would stand up for a cake filling. The ones I have tried in the past are too "soft". Any suggestions would be appreciated.

you may be able to find one on www.cakecentral.com

Thats where I get most of my cake related recipes

I recently made a chocolate cake a with a chocolate raspberry mousse filling. I just used a boxed mix to make the mousse as I was making it at 9pm at night, and it was wonderful. It was a Nestle mix that I found near the pudding mixes, and it said it was "imported from france". anyway...it was a big hit
    I'm walking in the avon walk for breast cancer AGAIN for the 5th year (2008)!

Donate Here

I'm not sure what recipes come to mind, but I always think of this one when I think of Raspberry Mousse. It got 5 stars at BHG

http://recipes.bhg.com/recipes/membe...63&adCategory=

Raspberry Mousse Cake
    Source: Better Homes and Gardens

Prep: 45 minutes
    Chill: 6 hours
    Bake: 25 minutes

Ingredients
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    2 tablespoons cornstarch
    1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    4 egg yolks
    1/2 cup sugar
    3 tablespoons water
    1 teaspoon lemon juice
    4 egg whites
    1/2 cup sugar
    2 cups frozen lightly sweetened red raspberries, thawed
    1/4 cup sugar
    1/4 cup orange juice or orange liqueur
    1 envelope unflavored gelatin
    3 cups whipping cream
    3 tablespoons sugar
    3 cups fresh red raspberries

Directions
    1. Grease and flour two 9x1-1/2-inch round baking pans. Stir together the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt. In a medium bowl beat egg yolks with an electric mixer on high speed for 5 minutes. Beat in first 1/2 cup sugar on low speed; beat in water and lemon juice. Wash beaters.

2. In mixing bowl beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Add second 1/2 cup sugar; beat at high speed until stiff peaks form. Fold in the yolk mixture. Fold the flour mixture into the egg mixture. Divide batter between pans.

3. Bake in a 325 degree F oven for 25 to 35 minutes or until top springs back when touched. Remove from pans immediately. Cool. Split layers in half horizontally.

4. Place thawed berries in a blender container. Cover; blend until smooth. Strain to remove seeds. Stir in the 1/4 cup sugar. Set aside. In a 1-cup heat-safe measure combine orange juice or liqueur and gelatin; let stand 5 minutes. Place measure in a saucepan filled with 1 inch of water. Heat until gelatin dissolves, stirring constantly. Beat whipping cream and 3 tablespoons sugar to soft peaks. Gradually add gelatin mixture, beating to stiff peaks. Reserve 3-1/2 cups of the whipped cream. To remaining whipped cream, fold in berry puree and 2 cups of the fresh berries.

5. Place a cake layer on a platter; top with 1/3 of the berry mixture. Repeat twice. Top with last layer. Frost cake with reserved whipped cream. Cover; chill 6 hours or overnight. To serve, garnish with remaining fresh raspberries. Makes 12 servings.

Make-Ahead Tip: Bake and cool cake. Fill and frost the cake. Cover and chill 6 hours or overnight. Garnish with fresh berries before serving.

Here is a great one I made earlier this week (you can see my comments on the T & T Yellow Cake thread.

Blackberry Mousse (I subbed frozen raspberries)

1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
    3 tablespoons cold water
    1 cup blackberries
    1/4 cup granulated sugar
    1 egg white
    3/4 cup heavy cream

MAKE THE MOUSSE: In a small bowl, sprinkle the gelatin over 1 tablespoon of the water and let stand until softened, about 5 minutes. In a blender, puree the blackberries with the remaining 2 tablespoons of water. Strain the blackberry puree into a small saucepan; there should be about 3/4 cup. Add the sugar and bring to a boil. Simmer the blackberry mixture over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until it is slightly reduced, about 5 minutes. Stir in the softened gelatin until dissolved. Let the mixture cool.
    In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the egg white until firm peaks form. Using a rubber spatula, fold in the cooled berry puree until no streaks of white remain. In another bowl, beat the heavy cream until softly whipped. Fold the whipped cream into the berry mixture and refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour.

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty100
    Here is a great one I made earlier this week (you can see my comments on the T & T Yellow Cake thread.

3 tablespoons cold water
    1 cup blackberries
    1/4 cup granulated sugar
    1 egg white
    3/4 cup heavy cream

MAKE THE MOUSSE: In a small bowl, sprinkle the gelatin over 1 tablespoon of the water and let stand until softened, about 5 minutes. In a blender, puree the blackberries with the remaining 2 tablespoons of water. Strain the blackberry puree into a small saucepan; there should be about 3/4 cup. Add the sugar and bring to a boil. Simmer the blackberry mixture over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until it is slightly reduced, about 5 minutes. Stir in the softened gelatin until dissolved. Let the mixture cool.
    In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the egg white until firm peaks form. Using a rubber spatula, fold in the cooled berry puree until no streaks of white remain. In another bowl, beat the heavy cream until softly whipped. Fold the whipped cream into the berry mixture and refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour.
    Another vote for this one!!

I made the fantastic mousse posted by NMG and MissKitty as the filling for my baby's first birthday cake. Wonderful. I used raspberries instead of the blackberries. The cake I made was Southern Living's Choclate Velvet Cake. I used the outside layer with a white chocolate buttercream.
    "Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!"

--Auntie Mame

Great Mousse recipe!!

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty100 View Post

3 tablespoons cold water
    1 cup blackberries
    1/4 cup granulated sugar
    1 egg white
    3/4 cup heavy cream

This is a really great light mousse recipe. Though since I needed enough for 2 layers of a 9" cake, I needed to make it twice. I recommend doubling the recipe to have a good amount of mousse if you are making it for a cake.

Thank you again MissKitty :-)

Wow. that raspberry mousse looks great! I will definitely try your recipe!

This looks great. I have tons of frozen berries in the freezer. So 2 questions..can I use frozen berries? Can I sub fat free half and half or is this a recipe that really needs the heavy cream?

Quote Originally Posted by Ali View Post
    This looks great. I have tons of frozen berries in the freezer. So 2 questions..can I use frozen berries? Can I sub fat free half and half or is this a recipe that really needs the heavy cream?
    I don't think FF Half and Half will beat into whipped cream will it?

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw