Community Message Boards

Thread: Pumpkin Pancakes---Living!

Pumpkin Pancakes---Living!

HI! When I was at the grocery store I saw a Halloween "Living" (Martha Stewart) magazine and since I love halloween I flipped through it and found a Pumpkin Pancakes recipe that looked awesome. I just went on her website and they don't have it there and I put Pumpkin pancakes on this one too-and they don't have it on this one either-so I was wondering if someone has this months LIVING magazine and might post the recipe for me.

I would so appreciate it -thank you!!!!

(I know I could go buy it-but I have issues with martha stewart so I don't buy anything that has anything to do with her-sorry).

Thanks!
    Laugh when you can!!!

Sounds good! I think I will get the magazine today when I go to the store. I love martha
    I'm walking in the avon walk for breast cancer AGAIN for the 5th year (2008)!

Donate Here

Here is a recipe (not from Martha)

Pumpkin Pancakes
    From Diana Rattray,
    Your Guide to Southern U.S. Cuisine.

A recipe for pumpkin pancakes, made with cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, eggs, and dark brown sugar.
    INGREDIENTS:

2 1/3 cups Bisquick baking mix
    2 tablespoons dark brown sugar, firmly packed
    1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
    1 1/4 cups milk
    2 eggs, lightly beaten
    1/3 cup mashed pumpkin
    1/4 cup vegetable oil

PREPARATION:
    Beat all ingredients with whisk or hand beater until well blended. Pour batter by scant 1/4 cupfuls onto hot, lightly greased griddle or skillet. Cook until tops are bubbly and edges are dry. Turn and cook pumpkin pancakes until golden brown.
    Makes about 15 to 18 pumpkin pancakes.

http://southernfood.about.com/od/pan...r/bl21016e.htm

I actually receive the magazine via gift subscription from my MIL. She's been giving it to me for 2 or 3 years now and I honestly never do much more than glance at it every month. I was just thinking what a waste it is and that I should tell my MIL to stop sending it to me, but for some reason I can't bring myself to do that. I know, I have issues.

So I'm happy the magazine can be of use to someone! Here is the recipe:

PUMPKIN PANCAKES

1-1/4 c all-purpose flour
    2 T sugar
    2 t baking powder
    1/2 t cinnamon
    1/2 t ginger
    1/2 t salt
    1/8 t nutmeg
    pinch ground cloves
    1 c milk
    6 T canned pumpkin puree
    2 T melted butter
    1 egg

Whisk together dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, combine milk, pumpkin, butter & egg. Fold wet mixture into dry mixture. Melt some butter in a skillet over medium heat; pour 1/4 c batter for each pancake. Cook 3 minutes per side; serve w/butter & syrup. Makes 8 to 10.

Just a note: this was originally published in the Oct 2004 issue but was reprinted for the Oct 2006 issue in a column called "15 Years of Pumpkin Ideas". They are certainly getting a lot of use out of this recipe!
    -Amy

I searched the net and Martha's site and came up with nothing. As Penguin said there it is.....wonder why search turned up nothing?

http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jh...10341&site=msl

Pumpkin Pancakes

For a spiced breakfast treat, whisk 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour; 2 tablespoons sugar; 2 teaspoons baking powder; 1/2 teaspoon each cinnamon, ground ginger, and salt; 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg; and a pinch of ground cloves. In a separate bowl, stir together 1 cup milk, 6 tablespoons canned pumpkin purée, 2 tablespoons melted butter, and 1 egg; fold mixture into dry ingredients. Melt some butter in a skillet over medium heat; pour in 1/4 cup batter for each pancake. Cook pancakes about 3 minutes per side; serve with butter and syrup. Makes 8 to 10.

Thank you!

Thank you Penguin and Surfer376! I am so excited to make these this weekend-I knew someone would get the magazine:^)

Your the best and I appreciate it so much!!!

I know it was weird the recipe didn't show up-I searched her site for a while and I even put in Pumpkin pancakes into the CL site and they don't have a recipe for those in here either-odd! I will let everyone know if they are good or not after I make them:^)

Michelle
    Laugh when you can!!!

While searching for a pumpkin pie recipe to make for Thanksgiving on Monday, I came across this thread.

Not sure how the Living recipe turned out for you, but since we're in the thick of pumpkin season I wanted to mention this recipe too. Colleen posted them quite a while back and I've made the recipe a couple of times. So good!

Pumpkin-Ginger Pancakes with Ginger Butter

NOTES: Our pancakes are standard-size, but Margaret Fox makes them silver dollar-size, which she says makes them easier to flip. PREP AND COOK TIME: About 45 minutes.

1 cup all-purpose flour
    2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
    1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 large egg
    3/4 cup milk
    3/4 cup canned pumpkin
    1/4 cup plain low-fat or nonfat yogurt
    2 tablespoons butter, melted
    Candied-ginger butter (recipe follows)
    Maple syrup

1. In a large bowl, stir together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and salt. In another bowl, mix egg, milk, pumpkin, yogurt, and butter until well blended. Stir egg mixture into flour mixture just until evenly moistened.
    2. Place a nonstick griddle or a 12-inch nonstick frying pan over medium heat (350°); when hot, coat lightly with butter and adjust heat to maintain temperature. Spoon batter in 1/3-cup portions onto griddle and gently spread into 4-inch rounds. Cook until pancakes are browned on the bottom and edges begin to look dry, 2 to 3 minutes; turn with a wide spatula and brown other sides, 2 to 3 minutes longer. As pancakes are cooked, transfer to baking sheets and keep warm in a 200° oven. Serve warm with candied-ginger butter and maple syrup.
    Candied-ginger butter: In a bowl, with a wooden spoon, stir 2 tablespoons finely chopped candied ginger into 1/4 cup (1/8 lb.) soft butter (soften in a microwave oven on full power [100%] for 5 to 10 seconds). Chill until firm before serving. Makes about 1/4 cup.
    Nutritional analysis is per pancake.

Yield: Makes about 8 pancakes; 2 to 3 servings

CALORIES 211 (51% from fat); PROTEIN 3.9g; FAT 12g (satfat 7.2g, carbohydrate 22g, fiber 1g); SODIUM 346mg; CHOLESTEROL 58mg;
    Sunset, JANUARY 2005
    Last edited by Natasha; 10-07-2006 at 06:34 PM.
    "If you're not chasing after miracles, what's the point?" The movie Saint Ralph

"What it all comes down to
    Is that everything's gonna be fine fine fine
    I've got one hand in my pocket
    And the other one is giving a high five" - Alanis Morisette, Hand in My Pocket

Pumpkin Pancakes
    SUBMITTED BY: Ruth

PHOTO BY: Allrecipes
    "These barely-sweetened fluffy pancakes feature ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg to emphasize the pumpkin flavor. Serve them hot with maple syrup for the best autumn or winter breakfast dish ever."
    Original recipe yield: 6 servings
    PREP TIME 20 Min
    COOK TIME 20 Min
    READY IN 40 Min
    US METRIC

SERVINGS About scaling and conversions

INGREDIENTS
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    3 tablespoons brown sugar
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon ground allspice
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 1/2 cups milk
    1 cup pumpkin puree
    1 egg
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    2 tablespoons vinegar
    DIRECTIONS
    In a separate bowl, mix together the milk, pumpkin, egg, oil and vinegar. Combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, allspice, cinnamon, ginger and salt, stir into the pumpkin mixture just enough to combine.
    Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake. Brown on both sides and serve hot.

READ REVIEWS (129)
    REVIEW/RATE THIS RECIPE
    SAVE TO RECIPE BOX
    ADD TO SHOPPING LIST
    ADD A PERSONAL NOTE
    POST A RECIPE PHOTO
    POST A FAVORITE FOODS LIST
    CREATE A MENU

NUTRITION INFORMATION

Servings Per Recipe: 6
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories: 278