Community Message Boards

Thread: DVD/Video/At Home Exercisers - Week of September 25th

DVD/Video/At Home Exercisers - Week of September 25th

This is getting to be a habit folks. Anyway I havenít seen anyone else start the thread this week so Iíll dive in. Saturday we decided not to do the trail ride so instead I did my exercise (donít tell DH but I was just as happy ). I did the upper body work Ö can I say I really struggle with bosu push-ups and tricep work :mad: . Then I did the properception stuff where I was falling off the bosu quite frequently . Thank goodness DH was there as he caught me more than once. Then I did the new F Ultimate Fat Burning. It wasnít too bad, fun with some functional moves put in. They claim itís 45 minutes but itís really only about 40. Then I did Catheís Total Body Stretching Ball Stretch 2.

Sunday was lower body work on the bosu. Followed by the propercetion stuff and I am proud to say I didnít fall off the ball nearly as much! I was so happy. Then I did the 60 minute weight loss program on the treadmill followed by 5 minutes of side walking. I probably should have pushed myself harder but I was dripping with sweat so Iíll take it. Then I did F 5-day stretch day 1.

After that I went out with DH and he mowed part of the pasture with the girls. I was really proud of all of us as DH has spent a lot of time fixing up the horse drawn mower and I helped some and it makes a bit of noise and the girls didnít spook once. He was out there an hour, while I sat nervously by Ďjust in caseí.

Tonight is upper, pro, tape and stretch. Not sure what tape to do but itís not like I donít have quite a bit of choice.

Happy Monday all and I hope that the week is looking splendid.

Carrie - I hope you can check in again and let us know how you and Weston are doing.
    Nothings so bad it's not good for something

Great workouts, Engineer! Sounds like you're getting better on the Bosu. I guess you're the official DVD thread starter .

This weekend we had Jameson's party at the Chicago Fire game. Thankfully the rain stopped when we got there so we had a really good time. Two kids didn't show up which was a bit annoying, but it was still fun.

The only exercise I did was run with Tully yesterday. Does squirrel season ever end? Do they hibernate at all? The run was great except for the squirrel sightings every couple blocks when Tully decides to dart off and try to catch one. What would she actually do if she caught one?? I have to keep alert for squirrels or she'll pull my arm off! I also tried to do some sprints with her, well, she doesn't like to slow down once you start!

Today I did the sculpting class at the gym. Tomorrow some type of cardio.

Hope everyone had a good weekend. Carrie, hope you're getting all settled in and unpacking your workouts!

I'm back again. Apparently Bristol isn't as desperately in need of people with my skill set as I'd dreamed, so the job searching was shorter today.

I still haven't done any formal exercise, just lots and lots of walking. And cleaning and organizing. Why aren't men better at that (or is it just my man)? The back yard is as cleaned up as I'm willing to get it, considering we aren't planning on staying here too long. And the house has come together nicely. So that means that I can break out a dvd today. Only, without a dvd player, I'll be watching it on the tiny computer monitor at home. Maybe hula dancing. Or CoreMax. We'll see.

I have no idea what happened last week, so I'll start fresh:

Michelle - You are really working hard! I hate plain old-fashioned push-ups and tricep work, so I imagine that I would hate the Bosu work even more (seeing as it's harder). I'm impressed that the girls aren't spooked by the noisy mower. Makes sense to use them to mow the fields though - needs to be done and gives them a workout.

Joanne - It really hurts when they (the dogs) take off when you aren't paying attention. Weston is having a great time here because there are huge fields for him to run in off his leash. He's not such a big fan of all the cars and bikes and people when we head towards the city though. We might try our first doggy bus right this weekend. If we're both feeling brave enough.
    You can call me Carrie.

Iím going to check in early today. Last night went pretty good. I did the upper body stuff and by breaking it down I got through those bosu push-ups and tricep work better. Although I still struggle, I will admit itís getting better. Then we did the proprioception stuff. Well, the round side up went good but the round side down was not so great. I fell a lot. And I get so panic-ky because Iím so darn paranoid that Iím going to mess up that knee again. Oh well with practice will come confidence and with confidence the panic will depart so I just have to keep trying. Then I pulled out an old Firm tape Ė Light Aerobic Mix (or Not so tough aerobics, depending on which version you have). It was a lot of fun. I kept the weights low after doing the upper body stuff. The thing I was happiest about was that I kept up pretty good and even did all of the jumping. I normally avoid that because of the knee but it really felt good and went well. I didnít do an extra stretch just because the stretch on the tape is pretty good.

Carrie - I'm doing my happy dance for you. Back with your sweetie and the house is coming together - even pulling out a workout. Good for you! Glad to hear that Weston is getting out and enjoying the new digs. Fingers crossed for you and the doggy bus trip. Let us know how it goes.

Joanne - Sounds like the party was a hit. Congrats! No I don't think squirrels hibernate, sorry. What is Tully? We had a sight-hound (Suluki cross) that we ran on our sled team and she was horrible for that. She ran the team into a tree trying to get one squirrel and another time she almost pulled DH over a very steep and long drop in Wyo. when she spotted a moose at the bottom of the raven. But if there was a team on the trail ahead of you she'd catch them. You could always move up in the standings with her - if you could keep her on the trail

Well back to Tuesday - Hope eveyone has a good week ahead of them.

Hi guys, I'm here! No workouts for me this weekend as DH and I had the daunting task of car shopping. After 5.5 hours we are now the proud new owners of a Honda Accord. DH comutes 100+ miles a day and for the last year he'd been in my college car, an 2000 Eclipse w/134,000 miles on it. At 6'2 he didn't fit in it well at all and it was a time bomb. I sooo just didn't want another car payment. :mad: But at least DH is happy....

Yesterday I ran 2.5 miles and felt pretty darn good about it. I'm not huffing at all so I think I may try to pick up the pace tomorrow. Today I've decided on Tae Bo for a little variety.

Engineer - those were QUITE the workouts this weekend. Gold star for you!! And I'm happy to hear that your knee is keeping up - just don't over do it.

Joanne - yay for a successful b-day party! The two kids that didn't show would irritate me too! I'm big into RSVPing and commiting. Hopefully your son wasn't disappointed. Your squirrel talk makes me giggle - our neighborhood is highly infested too.

Carrie - congrats on being settled!! It didn't take you long at all! How was the reunite with DH? I bet he missed you. Fingers crossed on your job journey. How was the hula?

Quickie for me today, I took the day off (birthday holiday) because I was exhausted from lack of sleep and I need to leave shortly to get Gavin from daycare. I spent the entire afternoon out in the yard. I push-mowed (no power propel stuff, either) the whole 1/2 acre and then weed-eated (weed-ate?) the whole place. Shew! My arms are total rubber and I have a huge blister on the palm of each hand from the blasted mower. <sigh> Good cardio workout, though! Wowza!

engineer, your sight-hound story had me laughing pretty hard. Thanks, I needed that!!

I'll try to pop back in for personals, but since I'm a single mommy tonight, it might have to wait until tomorrow evening. Hang in there, you guys! Keep up the great work!
    Skyline is the greatest thing given to man since fire. It's like heroin, only covered in about a half pound of cheese. -jking323

No work out last night Ė total bummer :mad: . But the ladies who are going to come over and feed the pups while were gone this weekend came over and we showed them what needed to be done. And then we put the winter roofs on the dog houses and filled them with hay. Well they turned 15 last week and they deserve a soft place for their old bones and warmth (even though itís not that cold Ė especially for a sled dog ). And then we hooked up the horse trailer to the truck so we could take it in for itís DOT inspection today. Lots done just none of it for my health! But the trainer comes tonight so Iím looking forward to that (even though Iíve only worked out three times since she was last here! )

Emily - first off wow! You got alot done on your day off and you even have the blisters to prove it. Take care of them ok? Glad you enjoyed the sight hound story - puddin' (pea-picking pudden puss was her nick name - her real name was petra) was a big sweetie and the bubble-headed blond cheerleader stereotype if she had been human.

fancyn - I find car shopping stressful so I can total see not working out this weekend. But I am happy to hear that DH is happy with his new 'toy'. I used to have that kind of commute in Denver so I total understand wanting something you feel comfortable in. Plus a good stereo. BUt I didn't want to give you a big high 5 for that run. That's great. Keep up the outstanding work

Happy Hump Day everyone.

Ok so itís Thursday and my last day for the week. Yippee! Tomorrow we head to Buena Vista for the wagon train. Last night the trainer came and she really had me shaking. Lots of stability ball and bosu work. I thought my triceps would be more sore today but there is that dull ache in the lats so I know something is working. I got my program for the week and again lots of bosu and stability ball work. Iím looking forward to it. Iím going to work out tonight and then I probably wonít get to work out again until Sunday and possibly Monday depending on when we get home and what has to be done when we get there. Only bummer this week Ė my weight went up. :mad: So after this weekend (and because the trainer requested it) Iím going to go back to logging my food intake. Guess that means the candy corn (which is my down fall) will have to go. Only time of the year they have that autumn mix with those cut little pumpkins. I know itís sugar, corn syrup and food coloring but itís a weakness. Oh the shame.

If I don't 'see' ya before next week - have a grand weekend all.

Things have been so busy at work, I barely have a chance to read the threads. But, wanted to check in so Engineer doesn't feel like she's talking to herself!

Carrie, sorry to hear the job search is taking a bit longer than you hoped, but at least you have some extra time to get organized and explore. No, most men have no clue about organizing. At least in my experience with my own , three sons included! At least you'll know where everything is!

Engineer, I love candy corn, too. Not to enable you , but have you tried it with peanuts? Yum. Maybe you're weight went up because of the increased weight work? I've read that you sometimes retain water for awhile after doing weight work. I've noticed that if I don't workout for a few days, I actually lose a few pounds.

Emily, happy birthday! (I'm assuming it was your birthday since you said you had a birthday holiday?) Mowing the lawn is exercise!

Nancy, good job on the run. Car shopping is awful. Why does it take so long? I'm thinking we may be doing that soon - my car is on its last leg. It's in our driveway now in pieces as DH tries to repair it and keeps finding new things wrong with it.

This morning I did Cathe's Gym Styles Legs. Ouch!! I should be pretty sore. I had to skip some of the floor stuff because the house started waking up with various crisises (I know that's not the right word!) for me to handle. Finally I gave up and called it a day. But, I got most of it done. Yesterday I did half of Kick, Punch, Crunch and Cathe's Kickbox from her CTX series. My arms are really sore today. I was planning to do the elliptical at lunch, but never made it there. Oh well. I've been walking to and from the train each day (about a mile each way) so I figure that's some extra calories burnt. Tomorrow I'm going to do upper body in the morning and try again for the elliptical during lunch.