Community Message Boards

Thread: Roaring Forties Blue Cheese

Roaring Forties Blue Cheese

I'm making a ginger, macadamia nut salad that you're supposed to top with Roaring Forties cheese. I've Googled this cheese (can't get it where I am) looking for a good sub. It's described as a creamy, moist cheese with Roquefort and Gorgonzola as possible subs. The recipe says to "arrange the cheese on top of the salad". It doesn't say to crumble the cheese. According to my deli, Roquefort and Gorgonzola are too creamy to crumble and they suggested I use Danish Blue.

My question is...has anyone tried Roaring Forties blue cheese, and if so, can you describe the texture and how you'd "arrange" it on top of a salad?

Thanks.

Maytag Blue

I haven't tried it but I found a picture of the cheese. It looks like a creamy blue & is described as slightly sweet. Some gorgonzolas that I've tried were rather tart. Can you get Maytag Blue from Iowa or something similar? I would just cut off chunks & place them on top of your salad. Sounds very good. Could you post the recipe?

http://www.cheeseshopofridgewood.com...3935a0fc78f6b6
    Dorothy aka Martha

Somewhere over the rainbow...

I would go more toward the Gorgonzola (dolce) or Roquefort than Danish blue. I haven't had Roaring 40s in well over a year, but I think you want something softer and more complex than an ordinary blue. Failing all else, I'd just ask to sample a couple of blues and pick the one you like best!
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by sadie
    My question is...has anyone tried Roaring Forties blue cheese, and if so, can you describe the texture and how you'd "arrange" it on top of a salad?

Thanks.
    I believe it is an "Australian bleu" and not what one would expect - rich & creamy rather than the traditional dry & crumbly texture, perfect with a glass of red wine! Had the priviledge of tasting some recently and can't get enough of the stuff since!

Thanks for the suggestions. After reading about how great this cheese is, I'm really disappointed that it doesn't seem to be available where I live.

The salad is excellent. I used pre-crumbled Danish blue cheese since I had it on hand but will try the creamier Gorgonzola or Roquefort the next time and cut it into chunks. I chopped the macadamia nuts with a knife so that the pieces wouldn't be too small.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Cheese, Nut and Ginger Salad

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Sides & Salads

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    3 tablespoons red wine vinegar (I used 2 Tbsp. red and 1 Tbsp. white wine vinegar)
    2 1/2 teaspoons sugar
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    3 tablespoons olive oil
    8 cups mixed salad greens
    1/4 cup roasted macadamia nuts -- coarsely chopped
    1/4 cup crystallized ginger -- coarsely chopped
    4 ounces Roaring Forties blue cheese

Roast macadamia nuts in a preheated 350 oven until lightly browned and fragrant. Set aside to cool, then coarsely chop.

In a large bowl, combine the vinegar, sugar, and salt.

Whisk in the oil until well combined.

Add the mixed greens, macadamia nuts, and ginger and toss to combine.

Divide the salad among 4 plates and arrange the cheese on top.

Source:
    "Unknown"
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 157 Calories; 10g Fat (56.9% calories from fat); 2g Protein; 16g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 302mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Vegetable; 2 Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates.

MY NOTES: Sept/06 - Excellent salad. Dressing is not overpowering. Used organic mixed greens. Ginger adds a slight nip and the nuts add a crunchy texture which is very pleasant. Couldn't find Roaring Forties cheese. Used Danish blue cheese that was already crumbled and thought it was good. Next time try Roquefort or Gorgonzola to compare. If the softer cheese won't crumble, cut into chunks. The nuts and ginger tended to go to the bottom of the salad bowl. Maybe they should be sprinkled on top of the greens after mixing????

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Ooh that does sound delightful. Thanks for sharing!

I am not familiar with Roaring 40s cheese (and I am not a big blue cheese fan myself), but from the descriptions here, it sounds like cambozola might be a good substitute - think camembert with veins of gorgonzola running through. It's one of our favorites, and not very hard to find (Trader Joe's always carries it, as do most places with a larger cheese selection than your regular grocery store).

It is not crumbly like most blues; it has a texture very much like that of brie, but it is wonderful (coming from a non-blue-cheese fan).

sadie,

Thanks for sharing this recipe. I love blue cheese and am always looking for new recipes to try it in.

Peggy
    To take the first step in faith, you don't have to see the whole staircase: just take the first step. - Dr. Martin Luther King