Community Message Boards

Thread: Advice needed on cutting up potatoes ahead of time

Question Advice needed on cutting up potatoes ahead of time

Ina Garten says that you can cut up your potatoes way ahead of when you need to cook them, such as that morning, leave them in a bowl of water in your fridge so that they won't turn brown, drain, & use. Admittedly, I have tried this method not for mashed potatoes (which I think she's making with that recommendation), but for potatoes cooked in other ways--and they seem to retain too much water, even when drained carefully. If you dry them with paper towels, that wouldn't get at any water the potatoes took in.

How do y'all do prework on potatoes w/o having them get brown or watery? Thanks!
    If you're afraid of butter, use cream. ~~ Julia Child

As you cook, you enjoy omniscience about food that no amount of label reading can match. Having retaken control of the meal from the food scientists, you know exactly what is in it. (Unless you start w/cream of mushroom soup, in which case all bets are off.) To reclaim control over one's food, to take it back from industry & science, is no small thing; indeed, in our time, cooking from scratch qualifies as subversive. ~~ Michael Pollan

I always put them in water. I shred potatoes for potato pancakes and for potato kugel. The one time I didn;t put the potatoes in water, they were black by the time I started cooking them.

I do drain them well, and sometimes spion in the salad spinner.

Sami
    Don't give up, Moses was once a basket case.

Thanks, Sami! I never thought of the salad spinner. Do you also squeeze potato chunks in paper towels after you've soaked them? I made Lee Bailey stovetop potato recipe that says "nearly all the liquid should be gone by this point," and the pan still had so much liquid in it that I'm sure it was the soaked diced potatoes. I like the salad-spinner idea but I'm not sure how well it would work on chunks or dice, not shreds . . . just gotta give it a try!

As you cook, you enjoy omniscience about food that no amount of label reading can match. Having retaken control of the meal from the food scientists, you know exactly what is in it. (Unless you start w/cream of mushroom soup, in which case all bets are off.) To reclaim control over one's food, to take it back from industry & science, is no small thing; indeed, in our time, cooking from scratch qualifies as subversive. ~~ Michael Pollan

I often make my vegetables, including potatoes, ahead of time if I am entertaining. Of course, I always cover the potatoes in cold water until I'm ready to cook them or they do turn brown.

I have never found that they retain too much water.

Some have said that you drain the vegetables of nutrients....but if you are doing this for a large gathering, or just a few people for company....do I really care if they are getting their nutrients? No! I just want to have as much done ahead of time as possible.

Hope this helps.

Danita

I cut them up last night & put them in a bowl of water in the fridge... was making pot roast in the crock pot & didn't have time to peel them this morning. Just took them out of the bowl with a slotted spoon & dumped them in the crock pot. They turned out fine, not mushy or anything.
    Sue

I'm here with my best friend... my fork!! ~ Paula Deen

If you always keep your head up, you'll never find that lucky penny on the sidewalk.

testkitchen45, If i have chunks, I just dry them with a cloth towel. I never have had a problem with too much water left in the potatoes after soaking. Maybe it is the kind of potato used. I mostly use Idaho baking potatoes.

Sami
    Don't give up, Moses was once a basket case.

I always do this when I am having dinner ,and I don't have any problems with it. I use russets. I may be dreaming this, but I remember a thread several years ago that was about peeling and dicing /slicing potatoes ahead of time and keeping in water for up to a week.??

(Eeeewwwww. I don't think I'd want to eat anything that had been sitting in water for a week--except a pickle. ) Thanks, vbak, very much for sharing your experience that has worked well for you with russets (which is what I usually buy); it helps!

Many, many thanks to all of you for your responses! I'm reassured to know that potatoes can survive quite nicely with this do-ahead method. With two teen DSs, I am cooking more and more; I understand now why my mom still cooks for an army, as she just never got out of the habit of quadrupling everything to fill bottomless-pit teenagers.

Love this BB and the generosity of all responders. Have a great (and tasty) weekend!