Community Message Boards

Thread: Substitute fresh tomatoes for canned?

Substitute fresh tomatoes for canned?

So I have dozens of very ripe roma tomatoes from my garden, and I need to use them before they go bad. So I was thinking of making a huge batch of marinara sauce, or something similar. But nearly all the recipes I find use canned tomatoes.

Whatís the best way to convert a recipe that calls for canned tomatoes when I want to use fresh? I assume my first step would be to blanch and peel them. Should I then weigh them to equal the weight of a can of tomatoes? For example, if a recipe calls for a 28-oz. can of tomatoes, should I just weigh out 28 ounces of blanched, peeled fresh tomatoes?

Also, does anyone have experience with canning marinara sauce? Iíd love to try this so I can enjoy my sauce this winter, but I have little experience with canning.

Thanks!

Try using the search function for "canning" and "marinara" or something along those lines. You will get a lot threads that you can look through and see if you can find your answer. I'd help if I knew!
    Everyone needs to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. . .

This recipe is delicious and easy!

This easy recipe came from the Boston Globe magazine and is perfect for your tomatoes:

Roasted Tomato Sauce

Olive oil (for drizzling)
    4 cloves garlic, peeled
    1 Spanish onion, peeled and quartered
    16 plum tomatoes, cored
    1 to 2 small hot chili peppers, cored
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
    1/4 c. chopped fresh oregano

Set the oven at 425 degreese. Drizzle a 14 inch baking dish with oil. Place the garlic and onion in the dish. Top with tomatoes. Add the chili pepper(s) and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Drizzle with oil and transfer to the hot oven.
    Roast the tomatoes for 60 to 70 minutes or until they have collapsed and the onions are very tender.
    Remove the dish from the oven and let the vegetables cool. When you can handle the tomatoes, use your fingers to pull off and discard the skins.
    In the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade, work some of the tomatoes and vegetables, with all the juices from the pan, in on-off motions just to chop them coarsely. Remove them from the work bowl and add more of the tomato mixture until it is all chopped.
    Transfer the sauce to a bowl, add more salt and pepper if you like, and stir in the oregano.
    Use or refrigerate, tightly covered, for up to 5 days. Freeze in two plastic 1-pint containers for up to 3 months.
    Makes about 1 quart.
    Katie

Too many tomatoes

I was in the same boat as you a couple of years ago - lots of tomatoes & I was leaving town. This isn't the "right" thing to do but it worked fine. I washed them, put them in heavy zip bags & threw them in the freezer. Then when I was making soup, I'd pull some out & throw them in. The skins would curl up & I'd remove them during cooking. Sorry I can't help with the canning issue, but you can also freeze the sauce. I think you have the right idea about subbing equal amounts of fresh, skinned tomatoes for canned ones in a recipe.
    Dorothy aka Martha

Somewhere over the rainbow...

3 cups of cooked tomatoes = 3 cups of cooked tomatoes -- either using fresh cooked, or canned. They should convert easily.