Community Message Boards

Thread: Can I freeze apples?

Can I freeze apples?

OK, I have cooked my way through one bushel of apples and I think I may be at my limit with apples things for now. Unfortunately, I don't have enough space in my fridge to store the remaining bushel and half and was wondering if anyone has peeled, sliced (and chopped) apples to store in the freezer for use later. I'm thinking I'll want them around for pies, crisps, muffins and breads. Will it work to freeze them and use later? Has anyone tried this?

I haven't tried it, but the fact that I never see frozen apples in the store makes me wonder if it's a good idea. However, you do see frozen peaches, and I wouldn't think they'd be that different. Obviously you would only be able to use them for things like applesauce, smoothies, muffins or things like squash soup. Not sure it would make a great pie, where you want more firm apples. I'd say it's worth a shot, at least for a small batch.

Preparing Apples for Freezing
    Enzymes in light colored fruits such as apples, pears and peaches can cause oxidative browning as soon as the fruit is peeled or cut. Browning can cause loss of vitamin C. Because fruits are usually served raw they are not usually blanched to prevent this discoloration. Instead, chemical compounds are used to control enzymes in these fruits.

The most common treatment is ascorbic acid (vitamin C). Ascorbic acid may be used in its pure form or in commercial mixtures of ascorbic acid and other compounds. Browning can also be halted temporarily by placing fruit in citric acid or lemon juice solutions or in sugar syrup. However, these measures are not as effective as treatment with ascorbic acid in its pure form.

Apples, as well as other fruits, retain better texture and flavor if packed in sugar or sugar syrup. However, sugar is not necessary to safely preserve fruit. Fruits packed in syrup are generally best used for uncooked desserts, those packed in syrup or unsweetened are best for most cooking purposes, because there is less liquid in the product.

Freezing Apples in Syrup

This syrup recipe will make 5 1/3 cups syrup which will cover approximately 6 pints or 3 quarts of apple slices. Use rigid freezer containers or zip-closure freezer bags.

2-1/2 cups sugar
    4 cups water
    3 pounds apples
    1/2 teaspoon ascorbic acid powder (1500 mg)*
    To make syrup, dissolve sugar in lukewarm water, mixing until the solution is clear. To prevent browning add 1/2 teaspoon ascorbic acid powder (1500 mg) or equivalent in finely crushed vitamin C tablets. Stir to dissolve. Chill syrup before using. Select fresh full-flavored apples that are crisp and firm, not mealy in texture. Wash, peel and core. Slice medium apples into twelfths and large apples into sixteenths. Place 1/2 cup syrup in each pint-size container and slice each apple directly into chilled syrup. Press apples down in containers and add enough syrup to cover apple slices. Leave 1/2 inch headspace in each pint (or 1 inch in each quart-size container). Place a small piece of crumpled water-resistant paper, such as waxed paper, on top of each container to hold apples slices down under syrup. Seal, label, date and freeze at 0F or below. Use within one year.

*To use lemon juice: drop apple slices into a solution of two tablespoons lemon juice and two quarts water. Drain well before covering with syrup.

Freezing Apples without Sugar

Apples frozen without sugar are generally used for cooking. Can be used for pie making too.

Wash, peel and core apples. To prevent darkening, dissolve 1/2 teaspoon (1500 mg) ascorbic acid powder or equivalent of finely crushed vitamin C tablets in 3 tablespoons water. Sprinkle over apples. Place apple slices in zip-closure freezer bags, label, date and freeze. Treated apples can also be frozen first on a tray leaving space between each piece. Pack into containers as soon as slices are frozen (approximately 2-4 hours). Freeze for up to one year at 0F or below.

Dry Sugar Packed Apple Slices

Follow directions for "Freezing Apples without Sugar"; mix 1/2 cup sugar to each quart apples slices. Place apples in containers, press fruit down, leaving 1/2 inch headspace for pints and quarts. Seal and freeze for up to one year at 0F or below.

Thank you, LLR! That's just the information I needed!

I have made & frozen apple pies for at least 6 months w/out any problems. If you have a spare freezer, these are great to have on hand to pull out & bake up when you need/want a hot gift for a friend in need.

I make up a few in the foil pans that you don't care if they get returned or not. These are to give away.

Others I make in these pans or my other pie plates, freeze till hard & remove & wrap w/ a label that says what pie plate to use to bake in. The entire pie will lift out to be wrapped once it is frozen & I can reuse that plate.

Apple sauce & apple butter will also freeze well.
    "I can read and write if that's what you mean. I'm not thick or anything just don't ask me where the commas go."
    Incendiary by Chris Cleave

My mom just quarters apples and throws them in a ziploc and freezes them. She uses them for pies only, and her pies are awesome.
    Margaret

Is drying apples an option for you Apricot? That works very well for long term storage and can be done in a gas oven with just the pilot light on - if you don't have a food drier or a hot dry climate (to air dry outside).
    Anne

I do it all the time (thanks to my mom's apple trees). I peel, core and slice and throw them in a ziploc. They are great for applesauce, pies, crisps, cakes - anything where you don't really need to see the whole slice of apple. I've got about 6 pie's worth frozen right now!
    ~Moneypenny~