Community Message Boards

Thread: Pergo or DuPont Laminate Wood Floors?

Pergo or DuPont Laminate Wood Floors?

We are looking into purchasing wood laminate flooring. We are looking at the flooring with the padding attached to it already.

It's a choice between Pergo and DuPont. We have been told that DuPont is the best but we like our color options better with Pergo. We have had a few people tell us Pergo used to be a bad brand but they have improved a lot.

Does anyone here have a Pergo or Dupont laminate floor? Do you love it or hate it?

Any advice you can give would be helpful.

Thanks

Unfortunately I can't give you a first-hand reply but my aunt has had Pergo for several years and she loves it. I remember her telling me that she dropped her iron point down and you could not tell where it had landed. She's been very pleased with her choice. I know that she researches her choices carefully. Good luck.

We have Pergo and are very happy with it. Fairly easy to work with. DH mentions almost weekly how glad he is we put it down.

Will you be putting it down or having it installed? The only quote we had regarding installation was more than twice the cost of the flooring we needed (500 sq ft) Needless to say we did it ourselves.
    You can't drink rum on the beach all day if you don't start in the morning.

The laminate flooring we have is yet a different brand, Witex, we love it (its the kind with the stuff attached instead of rolling out the padding). My mom had put some Pergo brand down in her house years back (the kind with the roll out padding) and it was awful. It was the stuff that glued together, the seams came apart and it didn't wear well at all (the seams comming apart could very likely have been from the installation). But the stuff we have is the snap together and it was very easy to install, and nearly impossible to scratch, though I did manage to scratch it when I was dragging a couple hundred piece of furniture across it that had a nail sticking out from the bottom.

We have Pergo and are happy with it.
    I wish I'd known they would come up with click-style flooring.
    Poor DH installed the glue-in messy stuff. He did a fabulous job. We did our living room and loved it so much, we hired out to do the kitchen and bathroom downstairs.
    I haven't seen the Dupont so can't compare, but Pergo is a Swedish (I believe) company and they have had nothing but good feedback and a great reputation (eco, safety, reliability, etc.).
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

We have BHK. We installed it ourselves, and are very happy with it. We did have to roll out the underlayment, but it was no big deal.

We had also heard not great things about Pergo. One thing to be cautious about- pergo is used as a catch all name for laminate flooring. So, even though we have BHK, we often refer to it as Pergo because people know what it is. Kind of like band-aid vs. adhesive bandage. We went with BHK because of the reputation of Pergo. But, in selling our house, people seem disappointed that we have BHK instead of pergo...go figure!

For those of you who installed it yourselves - was it hard to install? I'd really like to get some kind of laminate flooring, but the installation has put a damper on it. My husband is a poor carpenter, but if this is something that you snap together it doensn't sound all that difficult. Also sounds like minimal cutting is necessary (this is his downfall....)
    Mary Ann

Quote Originally Posted by masimmons
    For those of you who installed it yourselves - was it hard to install? I'd really like to get some kind of laminate flooring, but the installation has put a damper on it. My husband is a poor carpenter, but if this is something that you snap together it doensn't sound all that difficult. Also sounds like minimal cutting is necessary (this is his downfall....)
    I would NEVER attempt to do it myself, I would just be so afraid of screwing it up! My DH is also a poor handyman, unfortunately..
    Everyone needs to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. . .

It's very easy to put down & does have an interlocking system. However....every room needs some degree of cutting. This is really tricky, esp around doors.

Back to the original question -- we have Pergo in our kitchen, which was installed before we moved in, which means it's more than 5 years old. I love the fact that it's indestructible, hides dirt well and is super easy to clean. However, it looks like fake wood. I don't like the look of it at all. I think this has changed over the past few years.

The kind we're currently putting into our living room ourselves is a different brand & I can't for the life of me what brand! It looks much, much better.

MIL put the Pergo down and like SusanMac said:
    However, it looks like fake wood. I don't like the look of it at all.
    I feel the same way.

I don't know if MIL has to, but she is constantly looking for dropped water from a glass or an ice chip from the dispenser on the door because she is afraid it will ruin the floor.

I have never shopped for it and so don't know what is even out there, just know that I do not like hers.
    You may have had a lot of unfair things happen, but when you look back over your life, remember something good that has happened for you. Replay the good memories. Joel Osteen

Masimmons- It is not hard to install, but you do have to take the time, and do it right. There is a good amount of cutting- all of the edges of the room, in the doorways, closets, etc. We took the baseboards off, and put them back up, and it looks great, and covers where we could be off by a tiny bit. If you rush through it, it will look bad. If you take the time and energy- it will look good. No talent required.

Found from DH our laminate floor brand -- QuickStep. We also looked seriously at Armstrong. They both have the floating, interlocking system where you don't have to glue or use a separate pad. Fairly easy to install, but like others said, you do have to be extremely attentive and careful.

Quote Originally Posted by masimmons
    What's nice about making the cuts is you have some room to play with. We pulled our baseboards (which is a chore trying to get them off without breaking). You need to leave (and check the installation directions) 1/4 inch to the wall so that your flooring can expand with the humidity and temp changes. If you do not remove your baseboards then you'll have to lay down quarter round to cover up the gaps. I didn't want this look so I opted, again, to pull our bb and repair or replace as needed. At the Pergo station you should see the matching quarter round and the joints needed to match up existing flooring. Now, all that is from side to side. It's a whole 'nother thang cutting the last piece of flooring to fit lengthwise. You need a good circular saw blade for this and some patience because this stuff is tough to cut thru. Not impossible but it's nothing like cutting through plywood or something.

Ask at the Home Depot or Lowes. We went to one of the work shops on Laminate offered their and it was great to get an idea of how it all worked.
    You can't drink rum on the beach all day if you don't start in the morning.