Community Message Boards

Thread: ISO dip recipes that go with pita chips

ISO dip recipes that go with pita chips

A friend who works for a food distribution company has generously bestowed on me 2 CASES of Stacy's Pita chips!! One is Naked, the other is Sundried tomato/Pesto flavor. I'm having a Halloween party next weekend and am looking for something other than plain hummus to serve with the pita chips. What are your favorite dips that would go with either of these flavor chips? Thanks!

Giada's White Bean Dip!

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

i was going to suggest a fruit dip my aunt often makes for family parties, but those are for sweetened pita chips (homemade and sprinkled with cinnamon sugar). it might work on the plain chips, though.

i don't have her exact recipe (though i can ask for it, if you're interested), but it's basically a fruit salsa, with finely chopped kiwi, strawberry, and mandarin oranges. i don't think there are any other things in it, but i'm sure you could vary it a fair amount if you want.

Cheese Dip!!

Here's one that my grocery store makes... I bought it & figured out how to make it on my own:

Cheese Dip

8 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
    8 oz. swiss cheese, shredded
    1 cup sour cream (I use FF)
    1 cup Mayo (I use LF)
    3/4 cup lemon-artichoke pesto
    1/2 cup roasted tomatoes

Throw it all in the food processor & mix until well blended. Refrigerate for a couple of hours or overnight.

The last 2 ingredients I can get on the store's Mediterranean Bar (those of you who shop at Wegmans can find these). I've subbed oil-packed sundried tomatoes in a pinch.

Makes a ton & is really yummy!!
    Sue

I'm here with my best friend... my fork!! ~ Paula Deen

If you always keep your head up, you'll never find that lucky penny on the sidewalk.

I'll second Giada's White Bean Dip!
    I will not eat oysters. I want my food dead - not sick, not wounded - dead. ~Woody Allen

The white bean dip would be good with the sundried tomato chips. For the plain, what about baba ghanoush or roasted red pepper hummus? Or what about this one from 9/98:

Spicy Roasted-Red Pepper-and-Bean Dip
    From Cooking Light

1 (7-ounce) bottle roasted red bell peppers, drained
    1 cup reduced-fat firm silken tofu (about 6 ounces)
    1/3 cup fresh parsley leaves
    2 tablespoons lime juice
    1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    2 garlic cloves, crushed
    1 (16-ounce) can cannellini beans or other white beans, rinsed and drained
    1/2 teaspoon minced seeded jalapeño pepper
    Sliced jalapeño pepper (optional)

Chop bell peppers to measure 1/4 cup; set aside. Place remaining bell peppers, tofu, and the next 7 ingredients (tofu through beans) in a food processor, and process until smooth. Spoon mixture into a bowl; stir in reserved 1/4 cup bell peppers and minced jalapeno. Cover and chill. Garnish with a sliced jalapeño, if desired.

Yield: 2 1/2 cups (serving size: 1/4 cup)

CALORIES 76 (27% from fat); FAT 2.3g (sat 0.3g,mono 1.2g,poly 0.6g); PROTEIN 4.1g; CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; CALCIUM 28mg; SODIUM 244mg; FIBER 1.2g; IRON 1.2mg; CARBOHYDRATE 10.2g

Cooking Light, SEPTEMBER 1998
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by cocoa'smom
    A friend who works for a food distribution company has generously bestowed on me 2 CASES of Stacy's Pita chips!!
    You lucky duck! Love Stacy's Pita chips!

I like to make Brie Nachos using the Naked pita chips - that with a glass of wine is heavenly. My suggestion for your party is a baked brie dip - Here is a recipe I found from C.D. Kitchen that is great with pita chips.

Haven't tried the sundried tomato chips yet, I buy the Naked and the Parm.
    Hot Brie Dip
    CDKitchen http://www.cdkitchen.com

Category: Brie
    Serves/Makes: 2 cups | Difficulty Level: 3 | Ready In: 30-60 minutes

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons butter
    1 medium onion, chopped fine
    2 teaspoons garlic, minced
    8 ounces Brie cheese, trimmed and cut into pieces
    1 package cream cheese (8 ounce pkg)
    3/4 cup sour cream
    2 tablespoons lemon juice
    2 teaspoons brown sugar
    1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    salt and pepper to taste
    1 round loaf of bread (8 ounce loaf)
    Directions:
    Preheat oven to 400?F.

Saute onion and garlic in butter until golden. Set aside. Put Brie and cream
    cheese in a bowl and microwave until soft. Mix in onion and garlic, sour cream,
    lemon, brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce; season to taste with salt and
    pepper.

Hollow out the middle of the loaf and fill with mixture. Wrap in foil and bake
    in oven until bubbly, approximately 20 to 30 minutes. Dust with paprika if
    desired. Serve hot with bread pieces or crackers.
    Last edited by GingerPow; 10-20-2006 at 09:40 AM.
    "If you aren't living on the edge, you're taking up too much space."

I always serve pita chips with any hot spinach or spinach/artichoke dip. Here's one of my faves, which is a little differnet from your typical spinach dip:

Hot Spinach Dip
    Southern Living Homestyle Cooking
    Makes 8 cups – prep 15 minutes – bake 30 minutes

2 (10-ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed
    2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, cubed
    2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
    1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
    1 small onion, chopped
    1 (14-ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
    2 (10-ounce) cans diced tomatoes and green chiles, undrained
    2 teaspoons ground cumin
    2 teaspoons chili powder
    1 teaspoon garlic powder

Drain spinach: press between layers of paper towels to remove excess moisture.
    Combine the spinach, cream cheese, and remaining ingredients, stirring well. Spoon mixture into a greased 2 ½-quart baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until bubbly.
    - Kiran

Alton's roasted vegetable spread! Mmmm!
    Life is all about a$$; you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, behaving like one, or you live with one.

Maxine

This mideastern dip is one of the most interesting of dips to serve - people love it but don't generally know what it is; it's always a challenge to figure out what's in it that makes it so good. It's an old Epicurious recipe and reading the comments there from people who have made it likely still makes interesting reading (it's been a while since I checked myself).

Muhammara

a 7-ounce jar roasted red peppers, drained
    2/3 cup fine fresh bread crumbs
    1/3 cup walnuts, toasted lightly and chopped fine
    2 to 4 garlic cloves, minced and mashed to a paste with 1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, or to taste
    2 teaspoons pomegranate molasses*
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
    3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

toasted pita triangles as an accompaniment

In a food processor blend together the peppers, the bread crumbs, the walnuts, the garlic, the lemon juice, the pomegranate molasses, the cumin, the red pepper flakes, and salt to taste until the mixture is smooth and with the motor running add the oil gradually. Transfer the muhammara to a bowl and serve it at room temperature with the pita triangles.

Andy’s notes: I use between 1/4 and 1/2 cup evoo - I just drizzle it in til I get the consistency I want and like the flavour. A couple sweet red peppers, freshly roasted, make this even more flavourful. I read once where a chef made a version of muhammara using a balsamic vinegar reduction in place of the pomegranate molasses, but haven’t tried it. A bit of crumbled feta sprinkled on top can decorate this dip, as well as a drizzle of evoo.
    Cheers! Andy

I've served the plain pita chips with spinach artichoke dip. Everyone LOVES this CL recipe.

Spinach-and-Artichoke Dip
    From Cooking Light

2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
    1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
    1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese, divided
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    3 garlic cloves, crushed
    1 (8-ounce) block 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
    1 (8-ounce) block fat-free cream cheese, softened
    1/2 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained, and squeezed dry
    1 (13.5-ounce) package baked tortilla chips (about 16 cups)

Preheat oven to 350°.

Combine 1 1/2 cups mozzarella, sour cream, 2 tablespoons Parmesan, and next 6 ingredients (2 tablespoons Parmesan through spinach) in a large bowl, and stir until well-blended. Spoon mixture into a 1 1/2-quart baking dish. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup mozzarella and 2 tablespoons Parmesan. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown. Serve with tortilla chips.

Yield: 5 1/2 cups (serving size: 1/4 cup dip and about 6 chips)

CALORIES 148 (30% from fat); FAT 5g (sat 2.9g,mono 1.5g,poly 0.5g); PROTEIN 7.7g; CHOLESTEROL 17mg; CALCIUM 164mg; SODIUM 318mg; FIBER 1.5g; IRON 0.6mg; CARBOHYDRATE 18.3g

Cooking Light, SEPTEMBER 2000

I love to serve them with Barefoot Contessa's Pan Fried Onion Dip!
    With such a heavy dip you need a strudy chip!
    Karen

Quote Originally Posted by tippy7
    I've served the plain pita chips with spinach artichoke dip. Everyone LOVES this CL recipe.

Spinach-and-Artichoke Dip
    From Cooking Light

2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
    1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
    1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese, divided
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    3 garlic cloves, crushed
    1 (8-ounce) block 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
    1 (8-ounce) block fat-free cream cheese, softened
    1/2 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained, and squeezed dry
    1 (13.5-ounce) package baked tortilla chips (about 16 cups)

Preheat oven to 350°.

Combine 1 1/2 cups mozzarella, sour cream, 2 tablespoons Parmesan, and next 6 ingredients (2 tablespoons Parmesan through spinach) in a large bowl, and stir until well-blended. Spoon mixture into a 1 1/2-quart baking dish. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup mozzarella and 2 tablespoons Parmesan. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown. Serve with tortilla chips.

Yield: 5 1/2 cups (serving size: 1/4 cup dip and about 6 chips)

CALORIES 148 (30% from fat); FAT 5g (sat 2.9g,mono 1.5g,poly 0.5g); PROTEIN 7.7g; CHOLESTEROL 17mg; CALCIUM 164mg; SODIUM 318mg; FIBER 1.5g; IRON 0.6mg; CARBOHYDRATE 18.3g

Cooking Light, SEPTEMBER 2000

I've never had this with pita chips, but I make this dip frequently. This is probably my favorite CL recipe of all time because it is so wonderful and everyone loves it so much.
    "One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, unless one has dined well." - Virginia Woolf
    http://whatsinlaurenstummy.blogspot.com

This dip is a bit of work if you roast the red bell peppers yourself, but it's really good.

Kopanisto

4 cups (1 L) crumbled feta
    2 cups (500 mL) cream cheese
    2 tablespoons (25 mL) fresh oregano, chopped
    4 tablespoons (50 mL) fresh parsley, chopped
    1 tablespoon (15 mL) sambal oelek
    ¼ cup (50 mL) green pepper, finely diced
    1 cup (250 mL) red pepper, finely diced
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    1 cup (250 mL) roasted red pepper

Mix all ingredients together. Let stand in refrigerator for 2 to 4 hours. Serve chilled with warm pita. Serves 4 to 8.

Jennifer’s notes: I made ½ a recipe, which was still quite a lot of dip. I used 2 roasted red bell peppers as one did not seem like enough, and I would do that again. I used light cream cheese, and let it get soft before stirring the dip together. I used 2 teaspoons of dried oregano as I did not have fresh. I used 2 teaspoons chili garlic sauce, which is, I believe, similar to the sambal oelek. I served with toasted whole wheat pita. As I've been revising this recipe, I use more and more bell pepper and less and less feta. I think it is better this way. Last time I made it with cilantro instead of parsley and oregano. It was excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerPow
    I like to make Brie Nachos using the Naked pita chips - that with a glass of wine is heavenly.

Sound interesting....do you have a recipe?

I'm planning on making this recipe I found on the boards (from hammster) tomorrow for a get-together we're having. If I have time I'll carve a pumpkin and roast the seeds to go with it.

Pumpkin Hummus
    A nice change of pace from the usual hummus. You can find pumpkin seeds, also called pepitas, in groceries and Mexican markets. Prepare up to a day ahead and refrigerate.

by FloridaGrl

10 servings 15 min

4 pita breads, each cut into 8 wedges (6 inch)
    cooking spray
    2 tablespoons tahini (sesame seed paste)
    2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 teaspoon olive oil
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
    1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin (not pie mix)
    1 garlic clove, chopped
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

Toasted pumpkin seeds (optional)

Preheat oven to 425°F.
    Place pita wedges on baking sheets; coat with cooking spray. Bake at 425F for 6 minutes or until toasted.
    Place tahini and next seven ingredients (through garlic)in a food processor, and process until smooth. Add parsley, pulse until blended. Spoon hummus into a serving bowl, sprinkle with toasted pumpkin seeds, if
    desired. Serving size: 3 wedges

I love them with the BC Roasted Eggplant - Red Pepper dip - great combo... you're so lucky!!!
    ~ Alyssa

The pumpkin hummus recipe looks intriguing... I have a can of "One Pie" brand pumpkin here. The ingredient list says, "prepared pumpkin" and that's it. Do you think that's just plain pumpkin, or does it already have spices in it?? I always thought of it as just plain pumpkin, but I'm not sure.

Hi, Martha! I am pretty sure if it's called "One Pie" and says "prepared pumpkin" it is ready made pie filling. To be sure, though, just check the ingredient list. If it lists sugar and spices, etc... in addition to pumpkin, you won't want to use it in your hummus!
    kathyb

Less rhetoric, more cowbell!

Quote Originally Posted by memartha
    The pumpkin hummus recipe looks intriguing... I have a can of "One Pie" brand pumpkin here. The ingredient list says, "prepared pumpkin" and that's it. Do you think that's just plain pumpkin, or does it already have spices in it?? I always thought of it as just plain pumpkin, but I'm not sure.
    Martha - that's the right stuff. Pumpkin Pie filling would say that on the can and have other ingredients, like spices.

I want to try that hummus, too!

I made the pumpkin hummus last year as an appy at Thanksgiving. I noticed it was barely touched that day. I did not actually taste it until the next day, and I know why there was alot left over. While it was certainly edible, it really was very unremarkable.

Karen

The pumpkin hummus sounds good but maybe it needs more garlic -- like 2-3 more cloves and a heavy dash of hot sauce to give it more zing.

Suz

Here is one of our favorite dips (from Walnut Brewery/Rock Bottom):
    Recipe—Asiago Cheese Dip
    From—The Brewpub Cookbook Serves: 4
    Ingredients:

1 cup mayo (light works)
    1 cup sour cream (light works)
    ½ cup Asiago cheese, shredded (we up )
    ¼ cup green onions (we use ½ cup)
    ¼ cup sun-dried tomatoes (we use 1/3 cup)
    ¼ cup mushrooms, rinse and sliced (we don’t’ use)

Directions:
    *Oven to 350
    *Reconstitute tomatoes in hot water, then julienne
    *Mix all but tomatoes
    *Stir in tomatoes
    *Top with 1 tbs of Asiago cheese
    *Bake until bubble (10-15 min)
    *Serve with chips or bread

Thanks for the heads up on the pumpkin hummus! I ended up not trying it tonight because I arrived home late.