Community Message Boards

Thread: can apple crisp be made in advance?

can apple crisp be made in advance?

i'm having company over and was thinking if i could make an apple crisp in advance and then reheat it, it would be much easier and i could spend more time with my guests. would that be ok? or could i cut up the apples in advance and use a little lemon juice on them and put the crisp together and then bake later? btw i'm making CL's caramel apple crisp from a few years back.
    tia

I prepare the base and the topping in advance but keep the topping in a plastic bag until I'm ready to assemble and bake.
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

I've done the same thing as Canice. Then, I just pop it in the oven while we're eating.

Quote Originally Posted by Canice
    I prepare the base and the topping in advance but keep the topping in a plastic bag until I'm ready to assemble and bake.
    Is this the same day or a day ahead? I have to make mine up the night before and am worried that the apples will go brown, even if they're sprinkled with lemon juice.

I always make it the day before; according to the person who wrote the recipe the topping will keep in the refrigerator for two days in a zip-top bag or in the freezer for a week.

My recipe calls for lemon juice but I have no idea whether the apples brown at all; with the topping and the baking no one would ever notice. (FWIW, though, "sprinkling" with lemon juice isn't sufficient - you really have to toss them well.)

I'm not sure why the apples browning is an issue. They're going to be baked, and then they'll be......brown!

Bob

'zackly. You put it better than I.

In my experience, apple crisp is very forgiving. I usually prepare it a few hours ahead (some lemon juice and covering it with the topping keeps the apples from browning). However, if I know I am really going to be pressed for time (coming home after some daylong activity and needed to have dinner on the table in less than an hour, for example), I have made and baked the crisp ahead, and reheated it either in the oven or the microwave.

Kay