Community Message Boards

Thread: Dessert for after clam chowder---help

Dessert for after clam chowder---help

I am looking for a dessert that would be appropriate to serve after clam chowder on a special occasion. Any ideas?
    Last edited by wcdelight; 10-21-2006 at 09:53 PM.

Still thinking, but also wondering what type of clam chowder (cream or tomato based) you will be making.

It is a cream based soup- (NOT light-can I admit that here?). I will also be serving some sort of bread and green vegetables.

Sounds wonderful! It is a tough combination, isn't it?!

Here are some ideas that I might consider if I was making a special occasion meal. Maybe something will catch your eye! I have made the first two recipes and they turned out great. I would definitely make them again. The third one I saw on a blog (www.creampuffsinvenice.typepad.com) and it is definitely on my "to try" list. A simple creme brulee, lemon bundt cake with raspberries, or a fruit crumble would also be nice with this meal.

Warm Lemon Pudding Cakes With Marbled Raspberry Cream

Recipe By :Mary Laulis
    Serving Size : 6

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    3/4 cup sugar -- plus 4 tablespoons
    6 tablespoons unsalted butter -- (3/4 stick) room temperature
    1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
    3 large eggs -- separated
    1/3 cup all-purpose flour
    1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
    1 1/2 cups milk -- (do not use low-fat or nonfat)
    powdered sugar
    Marbled Raspberry Cream

Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter six 3/4-cup soufflé dishes or custard cups. Place dishes in large roasting pan. Using electric mixer, beat 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, 6 tablespoons butter and lemon peel in medium bowl until well blended. Add egg yolks 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in flour, then lemon juice. Gradually mix in milk (mixture will be thin and may look curdled).

Using clean dry beaters, beat egg whites in large bowl until soft peaks form. Add remaining 2 tablespoons sugar and beat until stiff but not dry. Fold whites into yolk mixture in 3 additions (mixture will be runny).

Divide pudding-cake mixture among prepared soufflé dishes. Pour enough hot water into roasting pan to come halfway up sides of dishes.

Bake pudding cakes until puffed and firm to touch, about 25 minutes. Transfer dishes to plates. (Can be prepared 8 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.) Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Top with dollop of Marbled Raspberry Cream.

Source:
    "Bon Appétit
    April 1998"
    Copyright:
    "Epicurious Food © 2003 CondéNet Inc. All rights reserved."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 442 Calories; 27g Fat (54.0% calories from fat); 7g Protein; 45g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 186mg Cholesterol; 78mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Fruit; 1/2 Non-Fat Milk; 5 Fat; 2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : These elegant cakes have a soft pudding-like center and refreshing lemon flavor. Although best served warm, they can be made ahead and served at room temperature.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Marbled Raspberry Cream

Recipe By :Mary Laulis
    Serving Size : 6

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1/2 cup thawed frozen raspberries in syrup
    3/4 cup chilled whipping cream
    2 tablespoons sugar

Puree raspberries in syrup in processor. Strain puree; discard seeds. Beat whipping cream and sugar in medium bowl until stiff peaks form. Drizzle raspberry puree over cream. Using knife, swirl raspberry puree into cream just until marbled in appearance. (Can be prepared 4 hours ahead. Cover and chill.)

Source:
    "Bon Appétit
    April 1998"
    Copyright:
    "Epicurious Food © 2003 CondéNet Inc. All rights reserved."
    Yield:
    "1 cup"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 140 Calories; 11g Fat (68.9% calories from fat); 1g Protein; 10g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 41mg Cholesterol; 11mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

BAKED PEARS ON SUGARED PUFF PASTRY WITH CARAMEL SAUCE

For pastry bases
    1/4 cup granulated sugar
    1 sheet frozen puff pastry (about 1/2 pound), thawed
    For pears and sauce
    2 large firm-ripe Bartlett pears (about 1 pound)
    2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into bits
    1/2 cup granulated sugar
    1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
    1/2 cup heavy cream
    1 tablespoon poire William (French pear brandy), or to taste
    confectioners' sugar for sprinkling

Make pastry bases:
    Preheat oven to 375°F. and lightly butter a heavy baking sheet.
    Sprinkle a work surface with granulated sugar and roll out puff pastry about 1/8 inch thick, turning once to coat both sides with sugar. Cut out 4 rectangles, each about 4 1/2 by 3 1/2 inches, and transfer to baking sheet, reserving scraps for another use. ***** pastry all over with a fork and put baking sheet in freezer until pastry is chilled well, about 15 minutes.
    Lightly butter bottom of another heavy baking sheet and put directly on top of pastry rectangles to weight them while baking. Bake pastry (between 2 baking sheets) in middle of oven 25 to 35 minutes, or until golden brown, and transfer to a rack to cool. Pastry bases may be made 1 day ahead and kept in an airtight container.
    Make pears and sauce:
    Preheat oven to 375°F. (if pastry bases have been made ahead) and lightly butter a small baking dish just large enough to hold 4 pear halves in one layer.
    Peel, halve, and core pears. Arrange pear halves in baking dish, cut sides up. Divide butter among pear cavities and sprinkle 1/4 cup granulated sugar over pears. Sprinkle lemon juice over pears and bake in middle of oven 15 minutes. Remove baking dish from oven and turn pears so that cut sides are down. Baste pears with cooking juices and return to oven. Bake pears until tender, about 15 minutes more. Transfer pears to a plate and keep warm.
    Transfer cooking juices to a small heavy saucepan. Add remaining 1/4 cup granulated sugar and boil, swirling pan, until mixture turns a deep golden caramel. Slowly add cream (caramel will bubble up) and simmer sauce, whisking, until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir poire William into caramel sauce.
    Sprinkle each pastry base with confectioners' sugar and top with a pear half. Serve baked pears with caramel sauce.

Serves 4.
    Gourmet
    January 1995

Epicurious.com © CondéNet, Inc. All rights reserved.

Cheesecakes with Apples and a Brûlée Top

Adapted from The Cake Book by Tish Boyle.

For the graham crust:

• 1-1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
    • 2-1/2 tbsp. sugar
    • 4 to 5 tbsp. melted butter

1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
    2. Grease the bottom and sides of a 9-inch springform pan.
    3. In a bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs and the sugar. Add 4 tbsp. of the butter and mix. If the crumbs seem dry, add the last tablespoon of butter.
    4. Press onto the bottom of the springform pan. Press in an even layer.
    5. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. The crust should be firm and golden. Remove from the oven and let cool on a wire rack. Cool the crust completely.
    6. Once cooled, wrap the outside of the pan in a heavy duty piece of aluminum foil.

For the apple layer (you don't have to make this cheesecake with the apple layer, but if you do, it's worth the extra effort):

• 3 medium-sized tart apples, sliced into 1/4-inch slices
    • 1 tbsp. lemon juice
    • 2 tbsp. butter, unsalted
    • 1-1/2 tbsp. sugar
    • 2-1/2 tbsp. heavy cream
    • a pinch of nutmeg

1. Toss the apples with the lemon juice.
    2. Melt the butter in a large skillet.
    3. Add the apples and cook for 2 minutes, over medium heat, until the apples begin to soften.
    4. Sprinkle with sugar and cook for an additional 2 to 3 minutes, until the apples soften further and begin to turn golden.
    5. Add the cream and the nutmeg and lower the heat slightly. Cook until the cream has been absorbed by the apples, about 10 minutes.
    6. Transfer the apples to a plate and let cool completely.

For the cheesecake:

• 3 packages cream cheese (8 oz. each)
    • 1-1/4 cups sugar
    • 2 tsp. vanilla extract
    • pinch of salt
    • 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
    • 1/4 tsp. ground ginger
    • 1/2 cup sour cream (full fat)
    • 1 tbsp. cornstarch or flour
    • 4 large eggs

1. In the bowl of your mixer, beat the cream cheese for a minute or two until it's smooth.
    2. Add the sugar and beat at medium speed until smooth, about 2 or 3 minutes.
    3. Add the vanilla extract, the salt, the cinnamon and the ginger and beat for another minute.
    4. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
    5. Add the sour cream and cornstarch and beat until blended, another minute or two.
    6. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
    7. Add the eggs, one at a time, scraping the sides of the bowl after each addition.

Assembling the cheesecake:

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
    2. Layer the apples over the cooled graham cracker crust.
    3. Pour the prepared cheesecake filling over the apples.
    4. Place the pan in a large, shallow roasting pan and add hot water to come about halfway up the side of the springform pan.
    5. Carefully place the pan in the oven. The original recipe requires the cheesecake be baked for between 70 and 80 minutes. I found that I had to bake the cheesecake for 80 minutes. You'll know the cheesecake is done when the filling appears set, but still a tiny bit wobbly in the middle.
    6. Remove the cheesecake from the oven and from the pan. Peel off the aluminum foil layer and place on a rack to cool completely.
    7. Once cool, place in the refrigerator to chill overnight.

For the brûlée crust:

• 2 tbsp. sugar

1. Sprinkle the sugar over the top of the cold cheesecake in an even layer.
    2. Using a kitchen torch, pass the flame over the sugar in an even motion until it has caramelized.
    3. Place the cheesecake back in the refrigerator for up to an hour. If you leave it for longer than an hour the brûlée crust may soften.
    4. Enjoy!

Note: This cheesecake will serve 10 to 12. The apples add a nice touch but you don't have to make this with the apple layer. It's a good idea to begin making this cheesecake the day before you plan on serving it so that it can rest in the refrigerator overnight.

Well obviously you should serve Boston Cream Pie

[Former Bostonian]
    "One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, unless one has dined well." - Virginia Woolf
    http://whatsinlaurenstummy.blogspot.com

baked pears look good-- my main thought is, something not dairy or too creamy, for contrast. something sharp, like a fruit sorbet, with maybe cookies on the side, but PIE is always appropriate!!!!

If you live in a place where you can get good strawberries, I'd go with strawberry shortcake. Or anything fruity, for example, the fruit crumble that was mentioned.
    Katie

Thanks for the help- I think I may go with something contrasting- I am afraid of too much heavy food.. Yes, it is tasty, but nothing will stand out. Thanks for the ideas!

I was thinking of an apple crisp type thing. I don't think that would be too heavy if the chowder is the entree. Chowder alone is one of those things that for me is satisfying but a little while later I could manage to eat more - not like if I had a cup of chowder in lieu of salad and then another entree. Then I would be skipping dessert!

Now, of course, I have no recipe to offer. Just an idea.