Community Message Boards

Thread: Help: Stop Apples from Browning?

Question Help: Stop Apples from Browning?

I am going to make the Pumpkin dip for DD's class tomorrow and will be serving it with graham crackers and apples. I'll be cutting up the apples at daycare but they won't get to eat them till about 3 hrs later. I don't want them to brown by then. I've heard of tossing them in pineapple juice and even sprite??? Has anyone done this?
    I love cooking with wine sometimes I even put it in the food.

I use lemon juice and it works very nicely. Though I think maybe any citrus works???
    -Amy-

The best results I've had have been with Sprite (regular, not diet). Unlike fruit juice, it doesn't seem to flavor the apples, and it lasts a long time. I just soak the apples (or bananas) for a few minutes and blot them dry on paper towels. Once I left the fruit soaking in the Sprite all day and they tasted strange.

The pumpkin dip is great!

Quote Originally Posted by at828
    I use lemon juice and it works very nicely. Though I think maybe any citrus works???
    I use grapefruit juice because it doesn't flavor the apples like the lemon juice does. I just find lemon juice on apples to be much too tart and I think it interferes if you're dipping them. I've never tried Sprite, I'll have to give that a shot some time. I have used pineapple juice and it doesn't work as well as citrus juices do.
    I will not eat oysters. I want my food dead - not sick, not wounded - dead. ~Woody Allen

Some varieties of apples are very slow to turn brown after slicing, if they brown at all. I think Crispins stay white, while Honeycrisps and Cortlands are slow to brown.

Kari

Quote Originally Posted by pilgrim719
    Some varieties of apples are very slow to turn brown after slicing, if they brown at all. I think Crispins stay white, while Honeycrisps and Cortlands are slow to brown.

Kari
    Add Gingergolds to the list that resist browning (and are mighty tasty!)
    Joe

Pictures and recipes of our Cooking and Baking!
    http://desertculinary.blogspot.com/

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces. ~Judith Viorst

If you have any of the small pineapple juice cans in your pantry one will work nicely.
    You can't drink rum on the beach all day if you don't start in the morning.

Thanks guys! I'll go with the sprite then.
    Joe, Kari, I wish I had those unique apples in florida! They sound devine!
    I love cooking with wine sometimes I even put it in the food.

Quote Originally Posted by HealthyinMN
    Add Gingergolds to the list that resist browning (and are mighty tasty!)
    How could I leave out my all-time favorite apples?? Those 6-8 weeks a year when you can get Ginger Golds are what I most look forward to about Fall. Sadly they're gone now, save for some sorry looking leftover ones from the grocery store. But the farm near me now has a generous supply of Honeycrisps to drown my sorrows in.

Kari