Community Message Boards

Thread: Is Frozen Pizza Better on a Pizza Stone?

Talking Is Frozen Pizza Better on a Pizza Stone?

I'm cooking some frozen pizzas for the kids tonight before trick-or-treating. I'm thinking of picking up a pizza stone today because I've heard that frozen pizzas turn out better on a stone. Does anyone know if this is true?

Also, do I need to preheat the stone? I heard that you should put frozen pizzas on a cold stone.

I've never owned a pizza stone before -- just wondering what else do you use your stone for?

Thanks in advance and Happy Halloween!

alot of people just leave the stone on the bottom rack of the oven.

i'm sure frozen pizza would be great on it, as would homemade pizza, breads, and other baked goods.
    Life finds a way to amaze and amuse me everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by cumulus
    alot of people just leave the stone on the bottom rack of the oven.
    I did that, and fat from something else I was cooking dripped on it. I'm not sure this is desirable.

I've never tried putting frozen pizza on a stone, but I would preheat like normal if I did....

I think so.

I don't think it makes too much of a difference with preheating the stone.
    I like the stone because the crust comes out crispy and stays warm for a while.. and I have made cinnamon rolls and cookies with it.

I LOVE my pizza stone. Fat got all over it (roasting a chicken in a pan on top of it at 475 -- you should see the inside of my oven!), but I still use it for pizza and haven't noticed any ill effect.

I have a gas oven, so I leave mine in my oven all the time. Supposedly, it's supposed to help maintain a constant temperature inside the oven, more of a concern given the way gas ovens cycle on and off.

I've also read that they're great for baking bread, but I've only ever tested that for one loaf, so I'm far from an expert on that front.

I don't know if its necessarily better, it is really easy and as others have said, it lives in my oven.
    Life is all about a$$; you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, behaving like one, or you live with one.

Maxine

We enjoy frozen pizza when it is placed just on the oven rack. I find the crust is crispier that way. I have a PC pizza stone, but only use that for fresh dough.

I hate to admit that I cook frozen pizzas but I am a firm believer it does do a better job of crisping up the crust.
    I put my stone in while the oven is preheating and then slide the frozen (or fresh) pizza on it. I do not keep the stone in the oven all the time. After it is cooled off I give it a quick scrape under a little hot water to get all the melted cheese off and let it air dry. It fits right in the cupboard with my cookie sheets. If you are getting one find one that has the little iron rack that fits under it/gives it handles, as it makes it a lot easier to get the stone in/out of the oven. I have been through 3 stones, never have "seasoned" them prior to using it the first time and feel the uglier and more stained they get, the better they are.

Someone gave me a very nice pizza stone from Preferred Chef. It was a bit heavy and didn't have a convenient place to grab and be able to easily remove from oven. Had back surgery...big deal to me but obviously not to others. Another thing...I could never get all the pizza scraped off the dang thing and it always tore to bits so I finally hurled it into the trash. Oh yeah, the pizza I could scrap from the stone was *really good*!

ETA: *Now* I see the above post about "handles" after it's too late!

I cook forz pizza, fresh pizza, rolls, bread, you name it, on my stone. It is blackened, stained etc but works beautifully.

It also keeps my oven at a more even temp.

If you think you will use it for more than just frozen pizzas this one time, I say go for it! You won't be disappointed.
    Kim

Without music, life is a journey through a desert.
    -Pat Conroy

I don't know if this is appropriate for all pizza stones but I keep my cheapo pizza stone in the oven when I'm cleaning the oven. The stains turn into ash on top of the stone which I clean off with a wet paper towel after it has cooled. The stone isn't 100% stain-free but this method of cleaning keeps it looking almost new.

You might find this thread with pictures of some of the most used stones on it somewhat amusing and helpful:

http://community.cookinglight.com/sh...ht=pizza+stone

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by baseballmom94
    I'm cooking some frozen pizzas for the kids tonight before trick-or-treating. I'm thinking of picking up a pizza stone today because I've heard that frozen pizzas turn out better on a stone. Does anyone know if this is true?
    In my extensive frozen-pizza eating experience , that's true. The crusts are crispier.

Also, do I need to preheat the stone? I heard that you should put frozen pizzas on a cold stone.
    I've always pre-heated it and had no problems.
    --Anthony Ragan
    irishspy@ gmail .com
    "Fear? I fear nothing. I'm terrified of everything."
    Harry T. Cat, in memoriam, 1983-2001

I love my pizza stone, keep it in the oven at all times. I like the pizza better when it's preheated, but it would work fine without preheating also. It's also great for heating up left-over pizza.

I love my pizza stones for everything. I've found that when I first got the pizza stones things stuck a little more than usual, but after it is seasoned, it gets it's own non-stick surface and about everything comes of so easily.

It's gotten to the point that I think I would cry if my pizza stone ever broke...not because of the cost but because of its nice, dark, glossy surface that I worked so hard to attain!

OK, I'm a little late to the parade here and thought about checking out this thread a few times today but thought I could add little because after all who wouldn't think a frozen (if that's what you have to have) pizza wouldn't be better baked on a stone, and granted I haven't read all of the responses and the pizza has already been served at this point of the evening...but good-golly-miss-molly never ever use a cold stone if and when you use a stone!!!!!
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Quote Originally Posted by sneezles
    ...but good-golly-miss-molly never ever use a cold stone if and when you use a stone!!!!!

From what I remember, pampered Chef does not recommend heating their stone.

Quote Originally Posted by funnybone
    From what I remember, pampered Chef does not recommend heating their stone.

I didn't know that and I do have one of PC's and it get's heated every day since it lives in the bottom of my oven.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!