Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite topping for a baked sweet potato?

Favorite topping for a baked sweet potato?

I love a baked potato with sharp cheddar, sour cream, picante sauce and guacamole if I have it. Even though I don't use butter, I feel guilty when I eat this. And it isn't because of the toppings as I use a reasonable amount - it is because of the potato.

So I would like to have a baked sweet potato as an alternative but have no clue what to top it with. Suggestions?
    "You can live a perfectly normal life if you accept the fact that your life will never be perfectly normal." -Randy Glasbergen

Cool

You're gonna cart me away when I tell you this, but I like sweet potatoes best when there's NOTHING on them. At all. Zip.

I also prefer them baked and cooled to room temperature.

Cart away.

(While you're recovering from that, they're also good mixed with a bit of lemon and orange juice, orange rind and cinnamon. )

Quote Originally Posted by emptyspool
    So I would like to have a baked sweet potato as an alternative but have no clue what to top it with. Suggestions?
    Butter-salt-pepper. Nothing sweet. 1 sweet potato = 139.6 calories.

(Toppings like sharp cheddar, sour cream, picante sauce and guacamole add a lot more calories than 1 tablespoon butter would!)

i'm with them- i LOVE them with just a bit of salt and pepper.

if i'm feeling saucy- i'll throw on some salsa. if i'm feeling sweet, just a bit of brown sugar and cinnamon.

occasionally, a bit of soy/ginger sauce strikes me right as well.
    Life finds a way to amaze and amuse me everyday.

I also love my sweet potato with nothing at all on them. Sometimes though, (since I need protein for lunch) I stuff a potato with a 1/4-1/2 cup of low fat ricotta cheese mixed with cinnamon and a sweetener (a little honey or agave nectar or sugar if you choose) and an ounce of walnuts or almonds for crunch.

It almost tastes like sweet potato cheesecake if you use lots of imagination.

Suz

I'm in the "nothing" crowd as well. They are just sooooo good all by themselves!

I have discovered that black beans and sweet potatoes pair well together... if you had a leftover black bean salad or black bean chili, it would be a good match.

We like them plain too, but this recipe was very tasty!

Baked Sweet Potatoes with West African-Style Peanut Sauce
    From Cooking Light

6 medium sweet potatoes (about 3 pounds)
    1 teaspoon canola oil
    1/3 cup finely chopped onion
    1 tablespoon grated peeled fresh ginger
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
    1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
    1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
    3/4 cup water
    3/4 cup tomato sauce
    1/4 cup peanut butter
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

Preheat oven to 375°.

Pierce potatoes with a fork, and bake at 375° for 1 hour or until tender. Cool potatoes slightly.

Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium-low heat. Add onion, ginger, and garlic; cook 3 minutes. Add cumin, coriander, and pepper; cook 1 minute. Add 3/4 cup water and next 4 ingredients (through salt), stirring until smooth; bring to a simmer. Cook 2 minutes or until thick.

Split potatoes lengthwise, cutting to, but not through, other side. Spoon about 1/4 cup sauce into each potato. Top each serving with 1 teaspoon cilantro.
    Joe

Pictures and recipes of our Cooking and Baking!
    http://desertculinary.blogspot.com/

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces. ~Judith Viorst

Quote Originally Posted by skupe123
    I also love my sweet potato with nothing at all on them. Sometimes though, (since I need protein for lunch) I stuff a potato with a 1/4-1/2 cup of low fat ricotta cheese mixed with cinnamon and a sweetener (a little honey or agave nectar or sugar if you choose) and an ounce of walnuts or almonds for crunch.

It almost tastes like sweet potato cheesecake if you use lots of imagination.

Suz
    Thanks for the suggestion Suz...I'm going to try this for lunch this week! Always looking for ways to get more protein in.

~Gail
    "I expect to pass through life but once.
    If, therefore, there be any kindness I can show or any good thing I can do any fellow being, let me do it now and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again."
    -William Penn (1644-1718)

~~www.Nurse-Gail.com~~

Quote Originally Posted by Gail
    You're gonna cart me away when I tell you this, but I like sweet potatoes best when there's NOTHING on them. At all. Zip.

I also prefer them baked and cooled to room temperature.

Cart away.

(While you're recovering from that, they're also good mixed with a bit of lemon and orange juice, orange rind and cinnamon. )
    That was gonna be my answer! They're right up there with naked russets!
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Quote Originally Posted by emptyspool
    I love a baked potato with sharp cheddar, sour cream, picante sauce and guacamole if I have it. Even though I don't use butter, I feel guilty when I eat this. And it isn't because of the toppings as I use a reasonable amount - it is because of the potato.

Just wondering...you don't feel guilty about the sour cream and cheddar, but about the potato itself? Why??

Angela

We serve them as sides all the time and just put some smart balance (or butter) and a little brown sugar and cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice. Delicious!

I'm not a huge fan of the casseroles that load all that sweet stuff on on them, but still like them with a little somethin'.
    Last edited by LaurenG; 11-06-2006 at 07:34 AM.
    www.laurengdesigns.com
    {personalized stationery}

I second HealthyinMN comment that the Baked Sweet Potatoes with West African-Style Peanut Sauce from 10/06 CL is out of this world. I made no changes, except I had no cilantro and sprinkled them with chopped green onions. DS is so-so on sweet potatoes and could not get enough of these. The sauce would also be delicious on chicken breasts.

I like them with low-fat cottage cheese.
    "Why should you go to jail for a crime someone else noticed?" - attorney Bob Loblaw, Arrested Development

"Spend time with your kids so we don't have to" - Florida Dept. of Juvenile Justice bumper sticker

www.nostinkycheese.blogspot.com

Thanks for all the great suggestions....I have been a purist too with just a little butter, salt and pepper. I love the idea of ricotta, never have enough uses for it. And I had been tempted to do the salsa thing and now that it is recommended will give it a try. The peanut sauce will make it a whole meal.

Angelina, I think the potato has taken a nutritional beating with some of the diets out the last few years, so has the innocent banana!! So that always kind of sits in the back of my mind....I have always had a moderation stance with whatever I eat and haven't eliminated anything totally.

Thanks again.
    "You can live a perfectly normal life if you accept the fact that your life will never be perfectly normal." -Randy Glasbergen

Sweet or savory?

It seems like there are also two camps on whether you like your sweet potatoes sweet (with added sugar, cinnamon, etc.) or savory (with butter, salt and pepper). I'm definitely in the latter camp. I grew up with the most awful sticky-sweet sweet potato and marshmallow casseroles and thought I hated sweet potato. Turns out it was only the brown sugar and marshmallow combo that I hated.

My absolute favorite way to have sweet potatoes bar none: cut in wedges and tossed with a little olive oil and kosher salt and roasted. The outsides get carmelized and they taste like they are drenched with butter but they're not. Yum!

I grew up with the most awful sticky-sweet sweet potato and marshmallow casseroles and thought I hated sweet potato. Turns out it was only the brown sugar and marshmallow combo that I hated

Amen! same with winter squash. Love them but not sweetened. there was an EW recipe a while ago with a baked sweet potato topped with warm black bean salad that was a winner.
    "If the world were a logical place, men would ride side saddle." Rita Mae Brown

This is the one.

Sweet Potatoes with Warm Black Bean Salad

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Vegetables

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    4 medium sweet potatoes
    1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed
    2 medium tomatoes, diced
    1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 teaspoon ground coriander
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 cup reduced -fat sour cream
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

***** sweet potatoes with a fork in several places. Microwave on high
    until tender all the way to the center, 12 to 15 minutes. (Alternatively,
    place in a baking dish and bake at 425 degrees until tender all the way to
    the center, about 1 hour.)

Meanwhile, in a medium microwavable bowl, combine beans, tomatoes, oil,
    cumin, coriander, and salt; microwave at high until just heated through, 2
    to 3 minutes. (Alternatively, heat in a small saucepan over medium heat.)

When just cool enough to handle, slash each sweet potato lengthwise, press
    open to make a well in the center and spoon the bean mixture into the
    well. Top each with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of cilantro.

295 cal, 6g fat, 6mg chol, 52g carb, 8g pro, 9g fiber, 572mg sod.

Source:
    "Eating Well-12/01/06"

I can't ever seem to get enough sweets, so I'm trying the sweet potato tonight with Country Crock's maple flavored margarine (and salt!)
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

You know, I'm usually in the group that can't get enough sweets but with both sweet potatoes and winter squash I like savory. Butter, salt, pepper, sometimes a Penzey's blend and I'm off and running. I'm bringing the sweet potatoes for Thanksgiving this year and will be trying out the chipotle mashed sweet potatoes and then of course will bring a sweet version since there are those that won't have it any other way.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

BUTTER! nutin but BUTTER!

I served sweet potatoes this weekend with this butter mixture from epicurious.com and they were DELICIOUS!!!!!

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
    3 tablespoons (packed) golden brown sugar
    1 tablespoon mild-flavored (light) molasses
    1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
    1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    Pinch of ground cloves
    3 tablespoons minced crystallized ginger
    6 8-ounce yams (red-skinned sweet potatoes), rinsed, patted dry

Mix first 6 ingredients in small bowl to blend. Stir in crystallized ginger. Season with salt and generous amount of pepper. (Can be made 3 days ahead. Cover; chill. Bring ginger-molasses butter to room temperature before using.)
    Preheat oven to 350°F. Pierce yams in several places with fork; bake on rimmed baking sheet until tender when pierced with fork, about 50 minutes.

Cut lengthwise slit in each yam and press in ends to open top. Spoon 2 tablespoons ginger-molasses butter into each yam and serve.

Makes 6 servings.
    Bon Appétit
    October 2004

My family and I like them with lemon yogurt (fat free).

I'm in the savory camp and like them with just butter and salt and pepper. For more of a main dish sweet potato, here's a link to the thread I posted last month for Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Spicy Feta-Olive Salad Topping, which I've made 3 or 4 times now. You can vary the proportions of cheese to vegetable to make it lower fat.

Great ideas....am printing them up.....Valerie, did you ever try the black bean salad cold? I will really enjoy taking a sweet potato to work for lunch now!

No never tried it cold. lukewarm maybe. I think it would be good. I've always used it over a hot sweet potato which warms up the beans even if thhey're not heated. I like all kinds of bean salads so I'm sure it would be tasty, but there's something about the black bean and sweet potato together that's better than you expect. the colors are great!. I 'd need the potato to be hot though.

Just butter and cinnamon for me. At Texas Roadhouse in Idaho, they serve them with whipped cinnamon butter. Delish!!

Bumping for Libra20!
    "Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. We need to have the strength and power of a football player, the stamina of a marathon runner and the concentration of a brain surgeon. But, we need to put all this together while moving at high speeds on a cold and slippery surface while 5 other guys use clubs to try and kill us. Oh, yeah, did I mention that this whole time we're standing on blades 1/8 of an inch thick. Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. Next question."

I didn't see this thread the first time around, so I'll add to it now ...

First, I understand why sweet potatoes have a better rep that white potatoes, but I don't buy into the "white potatoes are bad" thing. This is based on the glycemic index, which is NOT and never has been a good method for diet planning. It looks at foods in isloation and does not take into account serving sizes and the context of the meal. Glycemic load is a more legitimate method of evaluating food, but even then it's not the be-all and end-all, and everyone seems to ignore it, anyway.

That said ... I'm a Southern girl and grew up with candied yams and sweet potato casserole with marshmallows or the brown-sugar pecan topping. I love the casserole and would still enjoy a good dish of candied yams if served (although it's been many years since I've had them). When it comes to baked sweet potatoes, though, I'm in the butter-and-salt-only camp. I wouldn't go so far as to say I like them savory, but I think of this more as "plain." I have had roasted sweet potato fries and the like that have more savory seasoning -- pepper, garlic, and the like -- and those are good. But, for me, just butter and salt on a baked.

I'm that way about white potatoes, too -- just butter and salt and maybe sour cream. I don't load it up with cheese and bacon and the like, although that's OK. One thing I do with a baked white when I'm watching fat intake is to eat it with cottage cheese, similar to the ricotta suggestion above. It's VERY tasty and nutritous. Add a salad or green veg and you have a meal. That would work with a sweet potato, too.

P.S. One of those weird flavor combinations I'm fond of is to add worchestershire sauce and butter to a baked white. That would work with a sweet, too.

Quote Originally Posted by funniegrrl View Post
    P.S. One of those weird flavor combinations I'm fond of is to add worchestershire sauce and butter to a baked white. That would work with a sweet, too.
    My sister and I love to eat baked white potatoes with A1 sauce. Something about the combo makes it de-lish.

I second the recipe Valerie posted from Eating Well. I often have this for a lunch at work.

If the sweet potato is a side dish, I use a little Brummel & Brown or light butter and a little cinnamon and brown sugar.

As far as the regular potatoes-I believe they do have some good vitamins in them, but not as many as a sweet potato. A regular potato is still nice on occassion....I like mine with salsa and light sour cream. Or you could do some chopped broccoli with the cheese.