Community Message Boards

Thread: Question about keeping things warm in the crockpot

Question about keeping things warm in the crockpot

There are usually a few nights a week when I have just 30 minutes at home to feed the kids between activities so I am thinking of making soup and keeping it in the crockpot so it is hot when we walk in the door. So, if I heat it thoroughly on the stove and then put it in, would I put it on Hi or Lo? And for how long? It will be thoroughly cooked so it is strictly to keep it hot.

Thanks!
    Karen

Any reason you can't just make it in the crockpot? I mean aside from any sauteing you might need to do. If you do have to make it stovetop then I'd put the crockpot on low and it should be fine for a few hours. I guess it would really depend on the soup.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

My crockpot has a "warm" feature on it. I have used it to keep a soup/chili hot when I have a party. The soup is hot off the stovetop when I put it in, I set the CP on warm, and it stays nice and hot for several hours without burning it.

I would think you could put a hot soup in it from the stovetop, set it to warm, leave it for a few hours and then eat it.

Quote Originally Posted by sneezles
    Any reason you can't just make it in the crockpot? I mean aside from any sauteing you might need to do. If you do have to make it stovetop then I'd put the crockpot on low and it should be fine for a few hours. I guess it would really depend on the soup.
    Only reason would be I don't know how!! For instance, tonight I am making Mexican Ham and Bean Soup. I just don't know how to adjust the cooking time from stovetop to crockpot.

My CP doesn't have a warm feature but I will see how it does on Lo.

Thanks!
    Karen

Quote Originally Posted by jellyben
    Only reason would be I don't know how!! For instance, tonight I am making Mexican Ham and Bean Soup. I just don't know how to adjust the cooking time from stovetop to crockpot.

My CP doesn't have a warm feature but I will see how it does on Lo.

Thanks!
    I almost made that soup this afternoon but didn't have enough ham. To do it in the crockpot you'd start the same way by doing the dried beans in a Dutch oven. But then you would assemble everything else in the crockpot and then add the drained cooked beans (not thoroughly cooked). Cook on high for 4-5 hours or on low for 8-10.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Quote Originally Posted by sneezles
    I almost made that soup this afternoon but didn't have enough ham. To do it in the crockpot you'd start the same way by doing the dried beans in a Dutch oven. But then you would assemble everything else in the crockpot and then add the drained cooked beans (not thoroughly cooked). Cook on high for 4-5 hours or on low for 8-10.
    Thanks-this is good to know how to do!
    Karen

This thread reminded me that using the crockpot is a great way to do mashed potatoes ahead of time for Thanksgiving. Usually, mashing them is a last minute thing, but you can do them early in the afternoon and keep them warm in the crockpot until dinner.