Community Message Boards

Thread: Pizza Boxes in the oven?

Pizza Boxes in the oven?

Hello!
    We have a birthday party coming up. We will have a total of 5 families with a total of 20 people. I know the most economical place to buy pizza would be Costco. However, I would have to pick up the pizza's before the party. Can I keep the pizza's in the boxes in the oven at 150 to 200 degrees? Is this to much of a fire hazard? Would I destroy the pizza?

Thanks
    Kathy

Good Question!! Our dinner tonight was Costco's pizza and I did place the box in the oven. After a few minutes the kitchen started smelling "fumy" so I wouldn't recomend doing that again (especially for a party). FWIW, the box has intructions for reheating and it recomends taking the pizza out of the box and placing it directly on the oven racks....our pizza tonight was already sliced so that wouldn't have worked but you could get yours whole and then just cut and serve once heated.

For my son's birthday we asked my FIL to pick up the Costco pizza's about 20 minutes before we were ready to have lunch - you can order pizza there a day or two before and just have a friend or family member pick them up. That way we didn't have to reheat.

I wouldn't try it...

I have a vivid college memory of being rousted from a sound sleep one night at 3 AM... the fire alarms were going crazy because someone left a pizza box in the dorm's oven.
    Sue

I'm here with my best friend... my fork!! ~ Paula Deen

If you always keep your head up, you'll never find that lucky penny on the sidewalk.

I put pizza boxes in oven all the time. I keep it low enough (200 deg) that it keeps the pizza from getting cold, but doesn't seem to do a thing to the box. I only usually have one or two, do i don't know if anything happens to the pizza if you have more than that. I put two boxes on different racks so they aren't stacked atop each other.

I've never forgotten and left it in there . . .

Sometimes, if i have stopped for fast food on the way home, I will throw the whole bag in the oven (200 deg) to keep it warm while i walk the dog. I've never had problems with that either. I do put the bag on a cookie sheet.
    Theresa & Gigi & Anisette & Enchante & Le Beau Ouiseaux Rouge

Well ... the ignition temp of paper is 451F (i.e., Fahrenheit 451). Still, I probably wouldn't do it with the oven ON, even at a low temp. The box could come in contact with a heating element, which could cause it to catch fire. More importantly to me, you have no idea of knowing how the inks and other materials would react to exposure to heat like that. In addition to risk of fire, I'd be worry about food safety.

My brother and dad are volunteer firefighters and were telling me that someone burned their house down by putting pizza in the box in the oven to keep it warm. I wouldn't try it.

Karin

Call Dominos and see what they recommend.
    I usually preheat the oven to 200 and then turn it off when I put the pizza boxes in.
    "I said to the man who stood at the gate of the year: 'Give me a light that I may tread safely into the unknown.' And he replied: 'Go out into the darkness and put your hand into the hand of God. That shall be to you better than light and safer than a known way.' " --M. L. Haskins