Community Message Boards

Thread: Problem with screw post earrings

Problem with screw post earrings

Can anyone give any suggestions?

DH gave me a beautiful pair of diamond stud earrings for our anniversary. I am having problems with the posts. One ear is fine, but the screw type post irritates the other ear lobe. Has anyone had problems and how did you solve it, other than taking them to a jeweler and have them replace the screw posts with smooth posts. TIA

Is it the same ear or the same earring?

I have fairly sensitive ear lobes and I find that coating the posts with antibacterial cream or cortaid anti-itch enables me to wear earrings without discomfort.
    Some days I pray for Silence, Some days I pray for Soul,
    Some days I just pray to the God of Sex and Drums and Rock 'N' Roll.

Meatloaf

My mom is ultra sensitive to metals and I think she had luck coating some earrings with clear nail polish.

It's my right ear lobe. What is irritating it is the post. You have to screw on the back, not just push the back onto the post. Why only one ear is affected is puzzling. The thread on both posts is micro small, but the right lobe does not like the threaded post. The other one, no problem. This is the first time ever using a threaded post. Will try to put some of the creams mentioned on the post to see if that helps. I don't have a sensitivity to metals.

I really don't want to put smooth posts on them because I am afraid of one of the backs slipping off and so losing one or both of them. These are pretty special to me.

My diamond studs bothered me at first too. I was considering taking them back but after a couple time of wearing them it didn't bother me anymore. I think I tried some vaseline on the post a few times too.
    Good luck!

Shortly after I got my second set of ear piercings I got too sensitive to metal to wear any earrings. Even my watch bothered me so I switched to stainless back /plastic band. I've tried nail polish and it didn't help. I never thought of trying hydrocortisone or vaseline & will give it a try. I've got a drawer of earrings that I haven't been able to wear in years.
    Thanks for the ideas.
    "If the world were a logical place, men would ride side saddle." Rita Mae Brown

i'd be VERRRYYY careful if i were you. i recently had my diamond earings reposted to the screw back you are describing. one ear began to itch. long story short it became so inflamed (looked like a thumb! ) i had to go on 3 rounds of antibiotics just to get rid of what they think was a staph-type infection. i am petrified to put it back in my ear now. am going to take it to a different jeweler and ask the screw backs be replaced once again using surgical steel -- i believe this is a non-alergenic metal. good luck.
    It's easier to beg forgiveness then to ask permission!

Quote Originally Posted by DebGo
    i'd be VERRRYYY careful if i were you. i recently had my diamond earings reposted to the screw back you are describing. one ear began to itch. long story short it became so inflamed (looked like a thumb! ) i had to go on 3 rounds of antibiotics just to get rid of what they think was a staph-type infection. i am petrified to put it back in my ear now. am going to take it to a different jeweler and ask the screw backs be replaced once again using surgical steel -- i believe this is a non-alergenic metal. good luck.
    I can't be allergic to metal since I have had no problem with my gold earring posts in the past. It is the threads, minute as they may be, that are irritating the one ear. It is like pulling a file through the ear. Maybe cleaning the post each time with alcohol, putting antibiotic cream on the thread and then even vaseline in order to allow the post to "slip" more easily into place will heal the obvious "rawness" that the post continues to irritate. Willing to try anything.

I already lost one stud several months ago which I had replaced the thread with a smooth post and the back had to have slipped off and so there is a diamond stud probably lying somewhere at a reststop on the Connecticut Turnpike going north as we drove to a wedding in Newport, RI. My DH was wonderful to give me a new set of earrings for our anniversary two weeks ago and I want to hang onto these. You can imagine how upset I was when I realized that the one earring was missing when we arrived at the hotel!

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by JHaris
    I can't be allergic to metal since I have had no problem with my gold earring posts in the past. QUOTE]
    me either. i had always been fine with gold. this came out of the blue...

You can imagine how upset I was when I realized that the one earring was missing when we arrived at the hotel!

yes, i can imagine. almost lost mine in my bed (which is what prompted me to get the screwbacks too!) -- imagine my surprise when we found it. kinda like the proverbial "needle in the haystack!"
    It's easier to beg forgiveness then to ask permission!

I'm new to pierced earrings - I had them pierced in August for the first time. The repairman in the jewelry store where I had it done said to stick the post in Neosporin before putting through the ear. I've been doing that and am hoping for the best. I also clean the post before coating with Neosporin. I haven't seen the threaded posts.
    tennismate