Community Message Boards

Thread: How to make instant vanilla pudding "pumpkin flavored?"

How to make instant vanilla pudding "pumpkin flavored?"

I am adding a dessert to my thanksgiving lineup...it is basically like the CL Icebox Eclair Dessert, except I want to make the vanilla pudding pumpkin flavored. Has anyone done this? If I use just a can of pumpkin, won't I need to add sugar and spices? I know there is something out there called "pumpkin pie mix" (the only reason I know this is because most of my pumpkin recipes call for canned pumpkin and then specify "NOT pumpkin pie mix.") I am wondering if I should look for that.

Thanks for any input!

maybe this recipe (which I have tried and is great) will help give you some idea. here, you do use the pumpkin pie filling rather than the pumpkin.

Pumpkin Gingerbread Trifle

Recipe courtesy Paula Deen

2 (14-ounce) packages gingerbread mix
    1 (5.1-ounce) package cook-and-serve vanilla pudding mix
    1 (30-ounce) can pumpkin pie filling
    1/2 cup packed brown sugar
    1/3 teaspoon ground cardamom or cinnamon
    1 (12-ounce) container frozen whipped topping
    1/2 cup gingersnaps, optional

Bake the gingerbread according to the package directions; cool completely. Meanwhile, prepare the pudding and set aside to cool. Stir the pumpkin pie filling, sugar, and cardamom into the pudding. Crumble 1 batch of gingerbread into the bottom of a large, pretty bowl. Pour 1/2 of the pudding mixture over the gingerbread, then add a layer of whipped topping. Repeat with the remaining gingerbread, pudding, and whipped topping. Sprinkle of the top with crushed gingersnaps, if desired. Refrigerate overnight. Trifle can be layered in a punch bowl.

Val, have you made that recipe? Every time I see it I think it must be really good.
    Merry: I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
    Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

I'm food bloggin' almost daily at Tummy Treasure!

Adrianna,

I made this last month and it was soooo good! It tasted just like pumpkin pie filling. I made the rest into parfaits with crushed vanilla wafers and cool whip. Hope you enjoy, its super easy too!

Quick Pumpkin Pudding
    Ingredients:

1 pkg. (5 1/10 oz.) vanilla instant pudding and pie filling mix
    1 can (12 fl. oz.) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Lowfat 2% Milk
    1 can (15 oz) LIBBY'S® 100% Pure Pumpkin
    1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
    1 pint lowfat whipping cream, whipped to soft peaks

Directions:
    BEAT pudding mix and evaporated milk according to package directions in large bowl; refrigerate for 5 minutes. Add pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice; mix well. Spoon into dessert dishes. Refrigerate for 10 minutes or until ready to serve. Top with lowfat whipping cream.
    I love cooking with wine sometimes I even put it in the food.

Jello has instant Pumpkin Spice pudding out right now. At my grocery store they had a seperate display for it.

Quote Originally Posted by mrswaz
    Val, have you made that recipe? Every time I see it I think it must be really good.
    Quote Originally Posted by valchemist
    maybe this recipe (which I have tried and is great) will help give you some idea.
    Nice recipe!
    The cardiologist's diet: - If it tastes good spit it out!

yes, as ADM highlighted, I have made it.

I made it last year for thanksgiving. it was a hit and the pumpkin pie next to it was being ignored. It doesn't age well so hopefully you will consume most of it on thanksgiving. It is still ok the day after, but beyond that... not so good.

even though the gingersnaps are optional, I say you need them. I actually used homemade ginger cookies.

I belong to several other food forums. Yes, Jello does have a Pumpkin Spice instant pudding. But try to find it :mad: I called them and they said it is up to the individual stores to carry it. I've been looking everywhere for the past month!!! No luck, not even Super Walmart. I asked 2 area supermarkets to order it a month ago and they never did

There was a question on the Kraft forum on how to make pumpkin spice pudding. Here's the response from the moderator there. Hope it's okay to post this here.

If you take a look at the Pumpkin Praline Mousse recipe:
    http://www.kraftfoods.com/main.aspx?...ecipe_id=57502

You can omit the praline topping and hold back on the Cool Whip (add some but not the whole 2 cups so it has a pudding consistency rather than mousse). This should give you Pumpkin Spice Pudding. If you find it is too thick (the recipe calls for 1 cup milk with 2 pkg. pudding but the pumpkin adds moisture), you can add additional milk.

Thanks so much! I am still torn as to whether or not I want to add the plain canned pumpkin, OR the pumpkin pie filling! I have a 15 oz can pumpkin, and 30 oz can of pumpkin pie filling ( I know I will probably not need the whole can) and 2 packages of 3.4 oz vanilla instant pudding. I will decide tomorrow when I make the dessert and will post the results. If there is any problem, I can always run back up to the store and get some more puddings.

I saw gingerbread flavored graham crackers, and I bet that would have been delish...now that I saw Val's recipe, I kind of wish I would have gotten them, but I just got the regular honey graham.

I did look for the pumpkin spice Jell-O pudding, but there was none at my store.

Just a quick update...I ended up using the pumpkin pie mix...about 2/3 of the 30 oz can. I mixed it with the van pudding (2 -3.4 oz packages) and an 8 oz container of cool whip folded in. While I have not tasted the completed dessert, the pudding/mousse concotion was wonderful.

thanks again for all the replies.