Community Message Boards

Thread: Help please. Can I season my turkey,

Question Help please. Can I season my turkey,

put fruit and onions inside, then put it in an oven bag the night before baking? I figure that I can as long as I'm not stuffing it, but wanted some opinions from the pro's here I would like to do this to save me just a few more minutes on Thanksgiving morning. Thanks and Happy Holidays!

I've prepped the bird the night before but wrapped it in saran wrap instead of putting it in the bag right away. That way any juices that leak out don't leak into the baking bag and congeal the flour. It only takes a moment to pop it into the prepared bag the next morning before going into the oven.

But I do like to prep the bird the night before!

Oven bag issues notwithstanding, I'd highly recommend seasoning your bird the night before as the flavors will really have a chance to meld with the bird. I often do this with chickens I plan to roast -- and I very much prefer the made-ahead birds to the spur-of-the-moment roasters.
    It's so beautifully arranged on the plate - you know someone's fingers have been all over it. --Julia Child
    BURP! Where Food Happens

Your turkey will be wonderful. A hint:

Even though I have a top-quality, heavy roaster, I always buy one of those cheapie foil pans. (Adjust this hint to accommodate an oven bag if you're using that; I've never used one.) Line the cheap pan with lots of paper towels (when you're defrosting the turkey, that is) and place it on a heavy cookie sheet for stability. Place your prepared turkey (w/o paper towels) back into the cheap pan after it's seasoned, to await baking in your decent roaster the next day. This is the voice of experience from someone who overnight-chilled the heavy roaster the first year I owned it, causing the turkey not to be done until the dessert course (thank goodness it wasn't the only meat for T'giving that year!).
    If you're afraid of butter, use cream. ~~ Julia Child

As you cook, you enjoy omniscience about food that no amount of label reading can match. Having retaken control of the meal from the food scientists, you know exactly what is in it. (Unless you start w/cream of mushroom soup, in which case all bets are off.) To reclaim control over one's food, to take it back from industry & science, is no small thing; indeed, in our time, cooking from scratch qualifies as subversive. ~~ Michael Pollan

Wow, great tip, testkitchen!

let me just say, I totally agree with seaoning your bird early-- but for safety's sake, you might want to prep the fruit and onions, bag 'em separately, and just slip them in right before cooking. I mean, you can slice things today or tomorrow, if they're going into a bird on Thursday. That's what takes the prep time, right?

Thanks everyone! I appreciate all the assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by heavy hedonist
    Wow, great tip, testkitchen!

let me just say, I totally agree with seaoning your bird early-- but for safety's sake, you might want to prep the fruit and onions, bag 'em separately, and just slip them in right before cooking. I mean, you can slice things today or tomorrow, if they're going into a bird on Thursday. That's what takes the prep time, right?
    That is exactly what I do - wash and prep the veggies in advance then put them in a Zip loc bag in the fridge. It's the washing grit off the celery, and peeling the onions & garlic, etc. that takes the time so it does help to have that taken care of when it's time to roast the bird.

I never thought to season the turkey the day before. Makes sense - I'm going to do that! You guys are so smart.
    "If you aren't living on the edge, you're taking up too much space."