Community Message Boards

Thread: Room Temperature Turkey before Cooking?

Room Temperature Turkey before Cooking?

I know that most meats you should bring to room temperature before cooking. Do you think this holds true for a turkey? This is only my second Thanksgiving and can't remember what I did two years ago (let alone last week)! TIA

I bring the bird out about an hour before it goes in the oven.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

I do, too, but for 1.5 hours. I think W-Sonoma said you have a max of two hours b4 getting the bird into the oven; b/c it's so heavy, it stays cold longer than, say, a chicken that you might pull out for 45-60 min, max. And I always buy a huge turkey (this year's the biggest ever: 25.83 lbs. so I used every minute of that 1.5 hours).
    If you're afraid of butter, use cream. ~~ Julia Child

As you cook, you enjoy omniscience about food that no amount of label reading can match. Having retaken control of the meal from the food scientists, you know exactly what is in it. (Unless you start w/cream of mushroom soup, in which case all bets are off.) To reclaim control over one's food, to take it back from industry & science, is no small thing; indeed, in our time, cooking from scratch qualifies as subversive. ~~ Michael Pollan