Community Message Boards

Thread: Buttered Rum Meltaways -- recipe for Sadie

Post Buttered Rum Meltaways -- recipe for Sadie

These cookies are really good -- thought they deserved their own thread! From Martha Stewart Living, Dec. 06

Buttered Rum Meltaways

Makes about 4 dozen

1 & 3/4 C. plus 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
    2 Tbsp. cornstarch
    2 tsp. ground cinnamon
    2 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
    1/4 tsp. ground cloves
    3/4 tsp. coarse salt
    3/4 C. (1-1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
    1 C. confectioners' sugar (DIVIDED)
    1/4 C. dark rum
    1 tsp. vanilla extract

1) Whisk flour, cornstarch, spices and salt in a bowl. Put butter and 1/3 C. confectioners sugar into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium speed until pale and fluffy. Mix in rum and vanilla. Reduce speed to low and gradually mix in the flour mixture.
    2) Divide dough in half. Place each on a piece of parchment paper; shape dough into logs. Fold parchment over dough and press into a 1-1/4 inch log. Wrap in parchment. Chill in freezer 30 minutes (or up to 1 month).
    3) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Unwrap logs. Cut into 1/4-inch rounds; space 1 inch apart on parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake until just golden, about 15 minutes. Transfer cookies to wire racks; let cool 10 minutes. Gently toss warm cookies with remaining 2/3 C. sugar in a resealable plastic bag. Cookies can be refrigerated in airtight containers up to 2 weeks.
    "I cook with wine; sometimes I even add it to the food."
    ---W.C.Fields

Wow, sounds like they would go great with my "Hot Buttered Rum" drink. Thanks for posting

Thanks for posting. These sound delicious!